PDA

View Full Version : Dushanbe / UTDD

His dudeness
24th Mar 2008, 23:03
...will have to go there early april for the first time....any info/recommendations?

Handling/Permission go through Rusaero and we have Visas.

galaxy flyer
24th Mar 2008, 23:44
Haven't been there, but flight planned missions for USAF. Study the terrain and QFE ops, lots of very nasty terrain. No other info.

Speedy604
25th Mar 2008, 06:15
Hi,

I have been there in dec. QNH or QFE....both is available. The controller asks you what you prefer...otherwise it is no problem...we got vectors....the guys there (on radar) did a very good job....be careful of the downdrafts of the hills....might be vry tricky....

handling....horror.....absolute horror...believe me.....

greets

StressFree
25th Mar 2008, 08:08
I went there about a year ago. As has been said the terrain is the biggest issue but the ATC was very good and keeps you out of trouble.
Our handling was set up by RUSAERO but was a nightmare, the man did nothing on our arrival and didn't even turn up on our departure :* I phoned him to ask where he was and he answered that he was at home and it was too late to come back to the airport, it was 20:30pm local time.........

Are you staying overnight? If so beware that the hotels are very basic, all the tap and shower water etc is brown. All three of us on my crew all got sick even though we didn't drink anything but bottled mineral water :yuk::yuk::yuk:

His dudeness
25th Mar 2008, 10:18
OHOH...thanks. How did you come through at the airport then without the handling guy?

Staying for 2 nights! IŽll try to stay of tapped water and everything else then...

hawker750
25th Mar 2008, 10:54
Go to Dushanbe a lot, not a bad place if you are prepared to put a bit of effort into the op and NOT use a handling agent. That way you will save a couple of thousand dollars anyway!
Points to watch:

1/ Terrain.
2/ ATC good, you can get a straight in approach from the West which is
the preferred way to do it but you MUST say to ATC you are "ready
for a straight in approach". Other wise you may have to do the horrible
old Russian style square circuit on your own. If you do do the straight
in, check your approach plates VERY carefully for the stepped heights
on the approach as to whether they are 1013, QFE or QNH
3/ Handling: Never have it. Your pax will always go
through the "VIP terminal". Just take lots of dollars. Flight planning/
met/landing fees are on the 2nd floor of OPs block
4/ Hotel: Only use the Asia Grand..not bad
5/ Take a big bundle of Gen Decs with all crew and pax details on
6/ Never bothered with a visa before arrival $$ take care of that
7/ If you have a day off suggest you go out to the Airport the day
before departure to file ATC plan, re-fuel ($$cash) and pay landing/
nav fees ($$cash). Then on day of departure just pop up to the
flight plan office and they will confirm your route and give you your
sqwark.
8/ I like the place...best kebabs East of Southall

The place is only a problem if you are expecting it to be like a European airport. It is really quite user friendly if you are prepared to take the time to find out the way they need it done.

jetopa
25th Mar 2008, 11:18
Excellent point, hawker750!

You do not expect things to be the way you're used to in the West. After all, that's one of the 'advantages' of not being an airline-guy: being able to organize things yourself and how to use all the resources...:D

4HolerPoler
25th Mar 2008, 17:47
Was there last week, even the handling (FERAS) was good - we just drove out the gate & came back in the same way, between the Frogfoots. Big hills but plenty of room, ATC were great.

4HP

His dudeness
25th Mar 2008, 20:52
Thanks guys.

Twin2040
26th Mar 2008, 07:06
Been there maybe more than 20 times. WX could turn nasty with low ceilings etc. Military airfield close to center line final - Mountains right of Airport border to Afghanistan - stay of the tap water, yes ! Vodka fine ........ Not a place to go out at night.

hawker750
26th Mar 2008, 09:46
Disagree about going out at night. Always go out to a local restaurant in evenings, beer and vodka fine and locals always very friendly. On day off take a car up into the mountains.....wonderful

As far as weather is concerned have found very often wx giving 1500 metres viz but actually is CAVOK. Probably due to control Twr windows filthy and ATC guys cannot see very far!

His dudeness
27th Mar 2008, 22:25
Hawker 750: "On day off take a car up into the mountains.....wonderful" - that be a local driver or can one have a rental (is THAT advisable?)
I just hope the weather is fine and we could see something of the country...