PDA

View Full Version : Food (and why not energy) security...?!

airship
24th Mar 2008, 20:38
In the days of horses and carts, noone worried much about petrol, diesel or natural gas supplies. Nevertheless, it was considered normal if not prudent to have enough stocked up to be able to feed the family and livestock for 3-6 months.

So, what have you got put away in the freezer, cellar, dry store or whatever, and how long would you be able to survive if the supermarkets or petrol stations dry up?!

If you can only last out a week, what does that say about you, if anything...?!

hellsbrink
24th Mar 2008, 20:41
food, 2 months.

Fuel. 1 week but if there's no food in the stores I won't need the car to go shopping!

Little Blue
24th Mar 2008, 20:50
Women, 4 months ! But that involves a helluva lot of re-cycling !

tony draper
24th Mar 2008, 20:53
Yup, all it would take is a nationwide power cut of say a week and we would all be butchering each other in the streets,as they say we are all three meals away from savagery.
So as well as a few tins of soup best have some weaponry close to hand as well.
:E

Dea Certe
24th Mar 2008, 20:54
About 45 minutes here. Must get to the shops before dinner time. :}

I do have a stash of water, first aid supplies and Ramin noodles but who wants to eat those?

Dea

Dea Certe
24th Mar 2008, 20:56
I suppose a tin of soup could be used as a weapon. A pack of Ramin noodles, not so much!

Dea

airship
24th Mar 2008, 20:56
2 months' food...that's very respectable. That displays an important sense of responsibility. And if I may say so, should the worse come to the worst, assures you of at least a few virgins should disaster ever strike and you're willing to share...?! :ok:

Does anyone know how many weeks / months of food and energy their governments have stock-piled on their behalf though...?

hippotamus
24th Mar 2008, 21:01
food enough for a couple of weeks. water , enough for a few days. Did have a couple of hundred dollars in cash but it keeps getting spent!
What i do have though , after seeing a city block go up in flames and people literally left in their pjs and with nothing else to their name , is a grab bag by the door with wallet ,bank cards and two days worth of clothes.Oh and spare keys as last time the fire evac alarm went off in our building I had to get the nice concierge to let me back in.!!

henry crun
24th Mar 2008, 21:36
I live in an earthquake zone so emergency supplies are a must have.
The food and drink in the fridge and the freezer would last several days before going bad, but after that period I have

Food: canned and dried, 2 weeks at normal consumption, 3+ weeks at a stretch.
Water 7-10 days.
Camp stove with 2 weeks fuel.
Several boxes of candles, 2 large boxes of matches, 2 disposable gas lighters.

airship
24th Mar 2008, 21:40
Today, it's farmers (some blame it on the EU) who're obliged to sell their livestock for much less than their cost of production. Today, banks won't even lend to other banks without central-bank (thanks to your children and their childrens') guarantees. The least they could tell us is, without Tescos and Sainsburys, how long would it take for delivery, and what could we expect in our weekly shopping baskets? Would we need ration cards and how long would those take to be issued?

Our governments are today legislating and subsidising the conversion of perfectly good food (crops) into fuel additives for the petrol we buy from service stations. The immediate costs are a huge (50+%) increase in the cost of basic foods for 100s of millions in poorer parts of the planet...?! I guess they'll just have to work harder if not simply starve. (Do bothfor the free market, some might say).

And that's not even taking global warming into account. I understand that there's a European seed-bank built into the side of some ice-mountain in Scandinavia somewhere now. What's the point of it all though? Even if you could find it in an emergency, it would take at least 3-6 months before you'd be able to eat anything if something catastrophic did happen - jobs for "the boys"?!

And what if those seed packets were all labelled "Monsanto"...?!

Now that we've converted the eaves into extra bedrooms, and modern abodes no longer have cellars, I guess it means we're all done for, unless we've got relations in the farming community...?!

I'd still like to know if anyone can advise on the type and quantity of emergency food stocks held by the governments...?!

Viola
24th Mar 2008, 21:52
Because of 'Just in Time' delivery the supermarkets don't store much which isn't on the shelves and their central depots don't store much either.

We are very, very dependent on food supplies being transported around the country.

A few days of nationwide bad weather, such as the blizzards which lasted several days in the terrible winter of 1947, could cause some real difficulties in quite a short time. We have much better resources to clear roads now, but these resources would be pushed to the limit in extreme circumstances.

tony draper
24th Mar 2008, 22:11
I recon within five year of the collapse of our support structure,ie food electricity water communications civil authority ect the population of these Islands would be numbered in a few 100,000,of course most of them would be politicians and civil servants lurking in goverment bunkers.
:uhoh:

BlueWolf
24th Mar 2008, 22:13
Something like "The Survivors" maybe. Excellent show. Wonder why they never repeated it? :suspect:

Parapunter
24th Mar 2008, 22:16
Me old dad was very fond of trotting out at the first sniff of the latest fuel crisis/end of oil panic/middle east war/uppitty ruskies that in 1898 the London Evening news ran a story that unless something was done forthwith, the streets of London town would be under seven foot of horse $hit by 1904.

We're an adaptable lot.

tony draper
24th Mar 2008, 22:19
If it ever comes down to it,here is a tip try and find a wee ship,a coaster would do,they have independent means of producing light heat food preservation water ect and could be moored out in the middle of a river making security easier.
****!! should not have told you peeps that! because that's what I intend ter do.
It's all part of me plan to become a Warlord.
:rolleyes:

airship
24th Mar 2008, 22:22
I recon within five year of the collapse of our support structure,ie food electricity water communications civil authority ect the population of these Islands would be numbered in a few 100,000,of course most of them would be politicians and civil servants lurking in goverment bunkers. If any of us are still around at this time, would we have a moral obligation to rectify the situation? Would anyone here approve of such future action, I mean, would it at least boost yer morale nowadays to know that they'd get their come-uppance?! :ok:

con-pilot
24th Mar 2008, 22:34
Well, in the Great State of Oklahoma there are more cattle, pigs, chickens and deer than people, by a huge factor, not to mention all the wild turkey, other wild game such as boars and hundreds of catfish farms. Also huge areas that grow corn, wheat and many various types of vegetables. Add in the fact that Oklahoma is the third highest producer of natural gas in the United States (trillions of cubic feet in reserve), the survivability factor is very high in case of a disaster.

Course we will have to build a really large fence to keep them pesky, jealous Texans out. :E

tony draper
24th Mar 2008, 22:38
Well yer definitely be better off in the USA come the collapse,way to many people on these wee islands not enough land for all of us to subsistence farm or go hunter gatherer.
:uhoh:

airship
24th Mar 2008, 22:47
Thanks c-p, we know where to head for if we're hungry now?! I'm digging a tunnel already... :ok:

Still, noone's been able to say yet just what their government holds in reserve for their citizens just in case...?! :confused:

You'd have thought though that the average citizen in an average democracy would know what to expect or have to be prepared for...what do we pay all those taxes for?! :uhoh:

con-pilot
24th Mar 2008, 22:50
Well Tony just motor yer Coaster over here and come up the Mississippi River to the Port of Catoosa, which is about a three hour drive in my natural gas powered pickup, and I'll come and get you. :ok:

(You can bring some friends.)

(Oh, and some beer, a lot of beer.)

Solid Rust Twotter
25th Mar 2008, 10:55
One has the ken of splitting the Tasmanian beer atom. Also a handy shot with a rifle and a fair cook if'n His Admiralship requires someone to man the wheel on the journey across the Atlantic. Probably have to stop off in Namibia to load me up with my cargo of biltong.

con-pilot
25th Mar 2008, 16:44
Just a little note of interest here:

In todays newspaper, 'The Oklahoman', was the Oklahoma oil/gas drilling completion report for March 17. Below are the results.

Eleven (11) wells were completed on March 17. Three wells were 'dry', no oil or gas were found, eights wells were completed with a total daily flow of 2,575,000 cubic feet of natural gas. Believe it or not this was a low day. Nearly every day there is at least one well that is completed that will have a flow rate over a million cubic feet a day by itself. The highest flow rate for this report was a well that is flowing 707,000 cubic a day; this would be considered a average well.

Krystal n chips
25th Mar 2008, 16:59
Be quite amusing to watch such an event actually :E......given that so many think cooking consists of the machine going "ding"! for starters, then we have the "must have one's bottled water dahling " brigade...not to mention the hitherto alien concept of little Twistwam amd Germyma actually having to use their, erm, legs to walk........and their little rugrats as well....so yep, it would be interesting to see how long quite a few of the oxygen thieves in our society would survive.......I currently have a rather nice supply of dairy cattle about 10yds from my back door....there's a bloke across the road with a sort of "Good Life" garden....and a few chickens !....and more about 100 yds further on...and there's a freshwater lake not a million miles away....although I admit the water looks a bit iffy.

The option of a cruise on HMDS Nemesis? .......now that's a more powerful deterrent than any nuke ! :p

tony draper
25th Mar 2008, 18:27
I would not worry about the children they will be eaten first.:E

Beatriz Fontana
25th Mar 2008, 19:29
I recall from my dim and distant past working in crisis management that if the UK population missed five square meals there would be anarchy...

One only has to remember the panic buying and bare shelves during the fuel protests of September 2000.

con-pilot
26th Mar 2008, 15:32
Just for the heck of it here is today's drilling report for wells completed on March 18 in Oklahoma.

A total of 35 wells were completed on March 18, of those 7 were dry and 8 would be considered poor, as in less than 50,000 cubic feet of natural gas daily, which means a no return for the cost of drilling.

The remaining 20 producing wells have a combined total daily flow rate of 19,074,00 cubic feet of natural gas. There were 6 well in excess of a million cubic feet a day, the highest was 3,263,000 cubic feet a day. (And $9.00 USD per thousand cubic feet we ain't talking chump change)

A Oklahoma City based company, Chesapeake Energy, announced yesterday that it has discovered 3 new gas fields in Southwest Oklahoma that contain an estimated 20 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

So the next time an Internet expert says we are running out of natural gas just laugh at them.

tony draper
26th Mar 2008, 15:47
Tiz ironic that because this country was very nearly brought to it's knees foodwise by the U Boat menace in two world wars the decision was taken that after the war this country would be self sufficient in basic food stuffs by encouraging farmers to be more efficient and subsidize our own agricultural industry ,think the actual ability to feed our whole population if necessary albeit with a basic diet came about in the late sixties, ironically just as we joined the feckin EU and self sufficiency was a no no to the scumbags in Brussels,and we had to subsidize foreign bloody farmers to the detriment of our own.
:suspect:

blue up
26th Mar 2008, 17:54
I note with interest that the latest cooking book from Jamie Oliver contains no less than 12 recipies for various meat dishes containing Chavs. Not very flavoursome meat, your Chav, since it has faint tones of greasy fish n chips mixed with sweat and Bacardi Breezer.
If the end of the world comes, I believe I shall decant the family into the LandRover, chamber a round or 2 into the old blunderbus and start a chav hunt on the large animal reserve often referred to as "Essex"

Chav Rissoles? Now, I hope it wasn't a spelling mistake.:ooh:

hellsbrink
26th Mar 2008, 18:18
Not very flavoursome meat, your Chav, since it has faint tones of greasy fish n chips mixed with sweat and Bacardi Breezer.

Not often you get pre-marinaded meat for the cost of one punch or a bullet....

(Hey, I got 4 cats and a rabbit. That has to be worth another fortnight if ya use the leftovers properly)