PDA

View Full Version : Email Question

BlueDiamond
24th Mar 2008, 10:03
I've just had an email from a friend asking for a particular recipe. I replied by hitting the "reply" button, writing out the recipe, then clicking "send."

A few minutes later, I had a delivery notification failure advising that ...
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table'Now I can understand that happening if I had typed the address out myself and made a mistake, but how can it possibly happen if I simply clicked the "reply" button? The address MUST be correct because the email arrived FROM there in the first place. Any ideas??

Gertrude the Wombat
24th Mar 2008, 10:55
The address MUST be correct because the email arrived FROM there in the first place.
False. In most cases the return address has been typed in by the sender (somewhere when setting up the account in OE will do it for example). This is just as prone to errors as any other piece of typing. One business I was trying to buy something from had this wrong for weeks - it took me that long to persuade them there was a problem that needed fixing, and for them then to go and find whichever family member it was that had set the computer up in the first place to fix it.

The other, and more common, possibility is some sort of glitch at the receiving ISP. Try again later.

Keygrip
24th Mar 2008, 12:44
Blue - not a technical answer, more a work around suggestion.

Post the recipe here then we can all make it. :}

Oh, and tell your buddy to read PPRuNe.:ok:

BlueDiamond
24th Mar 2008, 13:02
Post the recipe here then we can all make it.
No sooner said than done, keygrip.

This is Malva Pudding, a traditional South African (Cape Town) dessert.

Ingredients

1 cup sugar
1 egg (big one)
3 tablespoons apricot jam
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 generous pinch salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 cup milk

Sauce

1 cup cream (whipping cream)
6 tablespoons butter (about 125g)
1 cup sugar
125 mls hot water

Beat the egg, sugar and jam together.
Sift the flour, bicarb and salt into another bowl.
Melt butter (microwaving is fine) and add vinegar.
Add the milk and flour alternately to the egg mixture, mixing well.
Add the butter/vinegar mixture and mix well.
Pour into 20cm ovenproof dish (needs to be deep to accommodate sauce) cover with foil and bake at 180C for 45 - 60 mins.
It's cooked when it has a rich, brown colour and a skewer comes out clean.

When cake is nearly ready, mix and melt all sauce ingrediants in a saucepan but don't boil. Remove cake from oven, poke all over with a skewer and pour the sauce all over. There will appear to be far too much sauce at first but it will be absorbed.

If you need to re-heat the pudding, pour very small splashes of boiling water over it first to freshen it before microwaving.

Serve with custard, cream, ice cream ... or all of them!!! :-)

I'll get in touch with him and let him know what's happened. Perhaps it's a typing error on his part, as you say, Gertrude. Thanks for that!

bnt
24th Mar 2008, 13:04
The standard email sending protocol (SMTP) includes a "Reply-To" option, which lets the sender specify where replies go to by default. If the sender's email program uses that, and something's gone wrong there (e.g. wrong address typed in), that could explain what happened. You should check the address, just in case. Or it could be problems with their mail server.

BlueDiamond
26th Mar 2008, 08:52
Checked the return address details and discovered that he had written "pigpond" instead of "bigpond." Problem solved and thanks for your help, folks! :)