PDA

View Full Version : IREX Question

solowflyer
24th Mar 2008, 07:11
Ok time to start hitting the books. Have just picked up Bob Taits Book to start self studying. Now what other material am i going to need and whats the best way of obtaining it to self study for the IREX? ie Jepps or daps and all the regs ect. Looked at printing off the recomended CAO off the net but think my printer will go into melt down with all the papers. Just trying to see how every one else has gone about it or do i just head down the pirate shop and hand over a stack of beer tokens?

Cheers

romeocharlie
24th Mar 2008, 07:34
Tait's books have references to both Jepps and AIP's, I personally bought Jepps from the start and have never had a problem with them for any exam, incl. IREX/ATPL's. Just ring up Jepp Australia and ask for their 'IFR' pack, incl. binders, Departure and App. plates for everywhere, a Jepp ERSA (which is pretty average), the Jepp AIP's - everything you need for the exam/real life.

IMO I've never heard of anyone saying they're going to transfer from Jepp to AIP's always the other way around.

Jeppesen Aus no. is 02-6120-2999

Hope that helps.

Capt Wally
24th Mar 2008, 07:52
excellent suggestion 'romeo'. Jepps is the way to go if yr serious about a career in aviation. Everywhere you go that's worth going to they use or ought to be using Jepps. Get used to them early & you will never look back.

CW

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Mar 2008, 08:03
Jepps is the way to go if yr serious about a career in aviation.

... and they take up half the space of AIP!

Dr :8

Cap'n Arrr
24th Mar 2008, 08:28
Buy Jepps... not just for the exam, you will need them to fly IFR!

As for the CAO, maybe reduce the size (print on A5), borrow from a mate, or just print it off at work (yours or someone elses, you don't necessarily have to know the someone:ok:)

WannaBeBiggles
24th Mar 2008, 08:41
I also hear Jepps make good survival food too, seeing they're printed on rice paper :p

I know some people have downloaded the CAO's and AIPS on to a USB memory stick and taken it to officeworkds and had them printed and bound for a fraction of the cost that ASA charge ;)

Lasiorhinus
24th Mar 2008, 13:03
Everywhere you go that's worth going to they use or ought to be using Jepps.

Not to be too pedantic about it, but you're saying everywhere you go that's worth going to, either does or doesn't use Jepps?

:confused:

solowflyer
25th Mar 2008, 01:07
Thanks for that guys Just the info I need

Wan
25th Mar 2008, 01:39
Does anyone know of a good computer program for practising instrument flying (especially approaches)? I find MS Flight Sim a nuisance to use for a number of reasons (including it slowing my computer down too much to make it useful, and viewing the instrument panel alone difficult).

My searches of other forums revealed "RANT XL" (see http://www.oddsoft.co.uk), which appears to be exactly what I am looking for except that it does not seem to cover Australia (but it does NZ!) - and I have no interest in purchasing approach plates for other countries.

I like the idea of practising at home as it is much cheaper! Any assistance/experience would be much appreciated.

training wheels
25th Mar 2008, 01:46
I used MS FSX when I did my MECIR training and it was really useful. Turn off all the fancy stuff with respect to scenery and it should work a lot better. (You don't need scenery when flying IFR of course.)

I bought myself the CH throttle quadrant and simulating asymmetric ops using the Baron whilst on an NDB or ILS approach is bloody awesome. The flight model is very good for the Baron.

senshi
25th Mar 2008, 02:11
training wheels.. very sound advice re MS Flight Sim. From an instructing viewpoint, a PC based program can't replicate the realism of a synthetic trainer or actual IFR nav. It can however, reinforce the procedures and processes that are engrained into the pilots mind that will be used for the duration of his/her flying career.
I would recommend all pilots undertaking their MECIR utilise MS Flight Sim as much as possible.
I have a large number of resources for those studying and undertaking the IREX and MECIR respectively.
All are welcome to PM and I will forward the documents on.

S

av8trflying
25th Mar 2008, 03:37
Just wondering if there is a quicker way in downloading the CAO's and AIP?

Looks like I will be there for a couple of hours with each section being a different PDF file. Any ideas?

Cheers

Lasiorhinus
25th Mar 2008, 05:10
The only quicker way is to buy the hard copy.

I see a niche in the market, for someone to collate all the PDFs every amendment cycle, and make it easier to download!

Though, of course, it'd be one rather large and cumbersome file...

QSK?
25th Mar 2008, 05:23
Wan:

Does anyone know of a good computer program for practising instrument flying (especially approaches)?

Mate, this subject has been done to death a couple of times on Pprune. Go to this link to get a few ideas:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308869

boardpig
25th Mar 2008, 06:16
OK,

Because I'm a tight ar** and was bored one day, I used a program to download the AIP pdf's and then another PDF joiner to stick it together. PM me if it'll help and I'll see if I can make it available to download somewhere. (4.6 meg).

BP.