PDA

View Full Version : Do you fly into Saudi Arabia ?

ExSimGuy
9th Dec 1999, 13:36
I am based in Saudi Arabia and I have flown in (as pax) twice recently, both times I have been issued a "immigration landing card" by the FAs. (once by SR and once GF)
The use of these cards has been scrapped by the Saudi authorities for several months now but I guess they didn't tell the airlines who will presumably carry on handing them out until they run out and request a fresh supply!

I don't suggest that you stop handing out the cards on my say-so, but if you are flying to Saudi, and still hand out the cards, it might be a good idea to check "up the chain" as it appears to be a waste of crews' and pax' time!

I have emailed GF and will try to pass the word to SR, but I wonder how many other airlines do not know!!!

imr_nh
10th Dec 1999, 00:55
Since when have they been scrapped? Do you know if this applies for land travel over the King Fahad Causeway? Heard anything about King Fahad Airport? I believe it was supposed to open in the end of November.

ExSimGuy
11th Dec 1999, 10:15
I returned from a UK trip last September and there were no departure cards available in RUH. Upon return, the imigration did not want the cards that we had filled out during our SR flight.

Last month I came back from AUH and again cards were not required. As for the causeway, I don't know - logically, you would expect that they would not be required there either, bit things are not always what would appear to be logical to Westerners!

Dahran Airport - yes, it is open; I heard recently of one traveller who left Dahran (old airport) for a trip and left his car in the airport car park - needless to say, you guessed it, he arrived back in the new airport and had to get a cab to collect his car from the old one!

Ref GF and SR - I have had replies, promptly, from both airlines, thanking me for my info and assuring me that they will follow-up. Thanks, guys, it's nice to know that you're appreciated!

ExSimGuy
11th Dec 1999, 17:40
I just received the following info from SR at JED, which MAY clarify the situation:-

Saudi Immigration Authorities have changed the procedure, some 4 months back and the rule is now the following :

Passengers do not need to fill-in Landing Card if :
- passenger is GCC national ( Saudi, Bahrein, Qatar, Oman, UAE, Kuwait, etc)
- passenger is resident in Saudi Arabia (holder of Iqama [foreign national's residence permit]).

Passengers need to fill-in Landing Card if:
- passenger is holding a visitor visa
- passenger is holding a umrah or hajj visa (religious traffic).

We have informed our Crew about this new procedure since the introduction of the new rule.
We thank you for having brought to our attention this mishaps and we will remember our Crew to pay more attention on that particular issue in the future.

With our best regards,

. . . . after all that lot, who can blame any crew just "handing them out to everyone!!!!