PDA

View Full Version : I'm worried about my height

Culio
24th Mar 2008, 00:36
Hey guys, thanks for reading this :)

Well, I'll get straight to the point. I want to join the RAF as a pilot, but someone might say I'm "bigger than normal". I know they say it's all about the length of your back and thighs and everything but I do know if you are over 6'3", you cannot join the RAF.

I was told this by a recruitment officer, and I've been worrying about it ever since. I am currently about 6'1" and I just turned 16. I have two older brothers who are both over 6'3" (one wants to be a RN engineer incidentally :P) and many people say I will be taller than them one day.

My question is, if I am taller than 6'3", is that my hopes fully gone? Is there nothing else I can do to become a pilot? I know I am almost definitely too tall for fast jet, but I would do anything to fly ANYTHING! (Yeah, I'm desperate)

If not the RAF, are there any chances for tall people to fly aircraft? They think I'll be about 6'4.

Please help :sad:

Culio

isi3000
24th Mar 2008, 00:54
I'm sure there was a thread about this a little while ago. Loads of people said their height was not a problem :}. If not the RAF, there are many other forms of flying...:ok:

muppetofthenorth
24th Mar 2008, 01:09
but I do know if you are over 6'3", you cannot join the RAFSomebody's been lying to you.

I've lost count of the number of pilots I've seen who are 6'4"+. General point is, if you prove yourself to be good enough at selection [ie, score huge on the aptitude test and do well in every other category] then they can't really turn you down.

Yes, limitations of airframes [Hawk] will mean you probably won't be able to go to the sharp and pointy things [the guys I know who are tall are all on multis - Hercs, VC10s, Tristars, etc] but it DOES NOT mean you can't be a pilot.

Bad eyesight, asthma, etc... that's different.

The recruitment officer's job is a strange one, they know that [very roughly] for every 10,000 people who walk through the front door of an AFCO wanting to be a pilot, 1 will make it to the front line. If they can identify people early on who won't make it, they try to save the space. If they can discriminate, they will. But don't let it put you off.

preduk
24th Mar 2008, 02:22
Try the RN... apparently they are a bit more lenient with height. I'm 6ft 3 at the moment, and was advised to try the RN before I applied for the RAF. (I never bothered applying for the RN though)

Culio
24th Mar 2008, 10:25
OK, thanks for everyone's replies here, they've really helped.

I do have a question however:

Would you say it's a disadvantage? For example, if I went to training and such and there was a guy who was just as good as me, only smaller, would he probably be chosen over me?

Does a taller guy have to do better in the tests to be accepted compared to a smaller person?

So really, is it a disadvantage?

Thanks.

preduk
24th Mar 2008, 15:44
No... you wouldn't have to. If they fail you because of your height, it will be on safety grounds not anything else.

You shouldn't worry about it too much. Apply, give it your best and see how it goes. If your refused, the RN or AAC may be able to help you out.

AlphaMale
24th Mar 2008, 19:17
I wanted to join the RAF and I'm over 6'2" or closer to 6'3" really.

Went on a ATC Summer Camp in Cranwell and anybody who had any interest in joining the RAF were able to see the officer giving advice and there was also a mock medical (checking height / eye sight etc) and I was told then that I was too tall to pass the safety regs in order to fly fast jets ... But he advised me to keep my options open and consider multi engine AC's as I would probably pass the medical needed for those.

:( ... I had my 'fast jet dreams' ripped apart and decided to go to Uni and pay for my own training for airlines :} ... And I'm still here saving. :ugh:

Good luck.