PDA

View Full Version : Copying files/folders to DVD-RW

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Mar 2008, 22:41
I have been working on daughter's computer and downloading vids from her camcorder to her HDD. That action went well.

However, when I tried to copy the files and folders to the CD it rejected it everytime. Must have been doing something wrong but it ended in frustration.

Any help would be appreciated.

hellsbrink
23rd Mar 2008, 23:32
Does it give any error message?

Could be a multitude of reasons, for example you say in the title you're copying to DVD-RW but maybe the optical drive only only supports DVD+RW. Does it copy to regular blank DVD?

Really need more info on this one, I'm afraid.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Mar 2008, 08:02
Yes it does but I can't recall it other than 'invalid access' or similar.

The drive is a new Liteon, supports all media and is dual layer.

spannersatcx
24th Mar 2008, 09:09
Were you writing to a CD-R or CD-RW? or DVD-RW? how were you copying the files - drag and drop/copy and paste/writing a data disk in a program (i.e. nero)? xp or vista?

HandyAndy
24th Mar 2008, 10:48
This may not be your case however I had a conflict between "cd burner xp" (a very handy piece of software) and Intervideo WinDVD Creator. If I had cd burnerxp installed, the DVD Creator would not burn disks after editing as movie, I would just get an error message and the empty disk would eject.

They just didn't like each other!

Saab Dastard
24th Mar 2008, 10:51
My own experience is that a program to create and burn a data disk works more reliably with far fewer undesirable side-effects than applications that make the CD / DVD device act as a writeable disk.

So whenever I want to write a data disk, I launch Nero...

SD

PPRuNe Pop
24th Mar 2008, 12:43
Spanners, I was writing to a CD-R originally and then changed it to a DVD-RW. I tried drag and drop, copy, and copy and paste and I tried Nero.

And SD I did say above that this is brand new DVD/ROM (bought Saturday last) and loaded with the software that came with it under 'Nero 7 Essentials.' And she runs XP Pro.

I made a new folder with just vids in it thinking this might help. :{

spannersatcx
24th Mar 2008, 13:07
Try formating the DVD-RW first.

Bushfiva
24th Mar 2008, 13:42
this is brand new DVD/ROM

A bit of a long shot, but since you mentioned dragging files to the CD (you know XP can't copy files to DVD, which is why it was bundled with Nero) and it's a new drive, check this:

Right click on the drive icon, select "Properties".

Go to the "Recording" tab.

Ensure the box marked "Enable CD recording on this drive" is checked.

But since you got nowhere with Nero, either, it's unlikely to be the cause.

PPRuNe Pop
24th Mar 2008, 22:26
Spanners, I will get her to do that - good idea, ta!

PD, that was the first thing I did and it is the Master. The folders are not more than 600MB, if that.

Bushfiva, I will get to have a look at that too.

Thanks again guys.

Keef
24th Mar 2008, 23:23
If the Nero you have is the same one I have, then it should write to a DVD with no bother at all. I can write all flavours of DVDs, and CDs, "just like that".

Are you starting at the "Nero Start Smart" icon/prog, and then selecting "DVD" in the top window, and then "Make Data DVD" in the drop-down bit? That never fails for me.