PDA

View Full Version : Laptop freezing for a few seconds now and again...

luigi_m_
23rd Mar 2008, 21:04
Have just updated my laptop with a 1GB RAM card to make it run more smoothly. Seems to have done the job as expected, but every five minutes or so it will freeze for 5-10 seconds. It has this problem before the RAM upgrade, but I thought the additional RAM would make it run without any problems. This is particularly frustrating when trying to use online streaming (say what you will ;) ) when I need continuous use such as MSFS. Is there any software I can download that will clean the system (like Windows Washer) or whould I just get it looked over by someone who actually knows computers?

Tarq57
23rd Mar 2008, 21:17
What OS, how old is the laptop, what CPU, and what security program runs resident?
Many possible reasons, including (a common culprit) too many programs running at system startup (Click "start>run and type msconfig, push enter, select "startup" tab. How many entries are there?)
One application that can "free" memory is a tool in Advanced Windows Care, by Iobit. I doubt it will fix the pausing issue, though.
Does this only happen when streaming videos, or any random time? If the latter, open taskmanager and next time it happens, see which application is using high CPU.

PingDit
6th Apr 2008, 03:51
I had a similar problem. My laptop was freezing completely and needed a reboot every time. Turned out to be the TV's wireless link to another TV in one of the bedrooms. Turned off the link, laptops been fine ever since.

PPRuNeUser0171
6th Apr 2008, 21:01
You can also see that exact problem if the latop has any drives mapped to a device that is no longer available.

timmcat
6th Apr 2008, 21:53
Hmmm - OK, first job, make sure you've all the s**te cleared out.

www.ccleaner.com