PDA

View Full Version : Thai Airlines - Reduction in Quality of Service!

Tigs2
23rd Mar 2008, 17:17
As a rumour, I was having a beer with a couple of guys in BKK a few days ago, and one of them told me of a quite startling reduction in service on TG flights. I have flown 1st, Business and Economy with Thai, and always thought it ok. However in the last 6 months I heard from friends that economy was now dreadful, and the guys chatting over a beer told me that they have just recently stopped serving wine in business class!!! Apparently wine is now only served in first class. Is this true or is this b******s? I understand most of us here are pilots and may not know what goes on behind the door, but at $3200 - $5000 for a business class seat from london to BKK can you not get wine??? I think if it is true they do not understand Business class travel culture. They will lose customers in their droves. I came out here with Etihad, it meant a 1.5 hour stopover in Abu Dhabi but boy was it worth it. Does anybody have any info to either quosh this rumour, or infact verify it as true.

Thanks
:ok::ok:

SuanLum
23rd Mar 2008, 18:45
Hi,
according to TG's web site complimentary bar service(including wine,beer spirits and soft drinks) is available throughout international flights.This is for all classes of travel just the quality changes as you pay more for your ticket.
We fly biz class to the far east(mostly BKK) most years and I'm interested in your comment re Etihad.We fly EK this coming Christmas for the second time,done TG and BA but too pricey now.

oscarbravo
23rd Mar 2008, 22:07
Wine and cocktails still being served in business class on TG,...they do a lovely Vodka Martini:ok:

Out of topic,...I flew Emirates a few weeks ago,...BKK-DXB in business (777er)and DXB-ZRH (A345) in first,... all very nice and a good value compared to TG or LX to ZRH if you don't mind the 2 hours or so wait in Dubai,..first class lounge is decent enough.
Cheers,...

oscarbravo

ZFT
24th Mar 2008, 01:14
TIGS,

It was wine in business lounges at VTBS being cut, not on board.

Tigs2
24th Mar 2008, 12:26
ZFT
:}:D:D
and I thought i was listening!!

How was the Grand Prix??

SuanLum

Etihad seem to have had a complete refit in their fleet. Their Biz seats are similar to BA, first is excellent. Economy is comfortable, with good ent system.

powerstall
25th Mar 2008, 01:07
Same with the other guys, you can't go wrong with Etihad nowadays, i last flew with them from MAN-AUH on economy class and on the flight , my in-flight entertainment went hay-wire, so i told one of the FA's of my problem, and as soon as you can say HELP ME!, they were pouring wine by the glass in-front of me, gave me lots of snacks to keep me from being a jerk and after awhile they looked for an empty seat, transferred me there and still happily sipping wine while watching my newly chosen movie on my monitor... can't ask for more.. except a transfer to 1st class FOC? :ok:

MrSoft
25th Mar 2008, 09:01
you can't go wrong with Etihad nowadays
Unfortunate comment :)! Things go wrong with any carrier, and it's how they react that matters. AUH is light years behind with embattled, apathetic ground staff. I love them point to point but generally avoid connecting with them.

Etihad once bumped me off as a fait accompli. I don't know how they decided I was to be sacrificed, but unlike many airlines they made no attempt to find volunteers. I was asked to report back in 24hrs :} After much heated arguing (which I hate), they reluctantly agreed to investigate the possibility of re-routing me on one of their own flights. This seemed a novel concept to them. "London, is that near you sir?" But it took 3 hours to get to that point. "Yes sir, we have seats" :ugh:

Great airline when it's going right, just be aware.

Tigs2
25th Mar 2008, 15:53
MrSoft

A valid point worth remembering! One man's top airline experience can be another man's nightmare. I guess it is a good reason why we should be cautious about whom we recommend other airlines to. Many people say BA is great. I had a run in with a customer services manager five years ago over their cockup, which could easily have been rectified. The CS manager told me while chewing on a sandwich that for him to help me was the 'easy option' for him and he could do it with the 'stroke of his pen', so he had decided that he would not help me and I could write a formal letter of complaint upon my return from the journey. I had been very calm and polite throughout our 'engagement', as i did when i told him that neither me nor anyone who works for me in the company will ever fly BA unless he stops being so immature and power crazy. He would not relent. Subsequently i have never flown with them since. I would rather swim than fly with them. I would never recommend them etc etc. My mates who fly at the front end in BA were horrified. However, no matter how hard the boys and girls work on the aircraft, the first point of contact are the ground staff. First impressions matter eh!!:ok:

barry lloyd
26th Mar 2008, 14:42
Tigs 2

To answer your original question.

I flew with TG LHR-BKK-LHR a few weeks ago in economy. No shoratge of wine - in fact they brought it round after the trolley service for those who wanted it.
No free adverts for Etihad from me. I thought the TG flight was excellent - plenty of legroom, good service - as pleasant as 12 hrs can be in Y in a 747.