PDA

View Full Version : Residing in Adelaide.....flying for major airlines

city8flyer
23rd Mar 2008, 17:11
Hi guys,
I was just wondering- is it possible to reside in Adelaide, and still fly for the major airlines (ie Qantas, Virgin Blue, Tiger, Jetstar)? If I were wanting to reside in Adelaide, which of these airlines would I have to target? Would I have to fly long haul, short haul, or either?

As well as this, are pilots able to choose whether they prefer to fly long haul or short haul?

Thanks!

Howard Hughes
24th Mar 2008, 01:27
Jetstar have a base in Adelaide!

But why would you want to live in Adelaide?;)

Whiskery
24th Mar 2008, 01:36
Maybe he barracks for the Adelaide Crows or likes Cooper's Ale? :confused:

Howard Hughes
24th Mar 2008, 01:47
If he lives in Adelaide he probably does both!;)

Sue Ridgepipe
24th Mar 2008, 03:26
Unless he barracks for Port, in which case he wears ug boots and drinks bourbon and coke.:E

Aussie
24th Mar 2008, 09:42
Or maybe he likes the quiet life that Syd, Melb and Brisvegas just dont offer :{:ok:

tinpis
24th Mar 2008, 11:02
Bloody magic town
The local girlies root like rattlesnakes :ok:
I have heard the men will as well :uhoh:

Must be the water?

city8flyer
24th Mar 2008, 16:11
Hahaha........ I just like the city!!!!

Do jetstar really have a pilot base in ADL? Can anyone confirm this? From what I have read, Jetstar only have pilot bases in Melbourne and Brisbane.

As well as that, does anyone know of any pilots that base themselves in Adelaide and fly for Virgin?

Thanks guys for your help

WannaBeBiggles
24th Mar 2008, 20:44
If people live in the blue mountains and communte, then I don't think ADL would be a problem.
But I have to agree.... Why Adelaide?!? I lived there for 5 years. (about 60 months too long if you ask me!) Hehe

Tempo
24th Mar 2008, 21:40
You can live wherever you want.....just as long as you turn up for your rostered duties and meet your contract requirements.

tinpis
24th Mar 2008, 22:14
Ansett in the olden days pre that date-that-is-not-allowed-to-be-mentioned, had crew commuting from Aderloid to MEL

Bagot_Community_Locator
24th Mar 2008, 23:40
Do jetstar really have a pilot base in ADL? Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, Jetstar really do have a pilot base in ADL and 2 A320's based there too. A good mate of mine has been based there for the past 18 months or so plus I have come across many other Adelaide based Jetstar pilots.

From what I have read, Jetstar only have pilot bases in Melbourne and Brisbane.

From what I know, Jetstar definitely have bases in :

Melbourne,
Avalon,
Sydney,
Newcastle,
SE Queensland (Brisbane/Gold Coast)
Cairns
Hobart
Adelaide
Christchurch

tinpis
25th Mar 2008, 01:08
Yer reckon Aderloid is crook,try Christchurch.:sad:

rearwhelsteer888
25th Mar 2008, 05:33
Howard Hughes.
here are a couple

The entire Cooper's range
There's a man drought here, Would this apply to you?
housing affordability
You can live rural or on the beach 20 mins from the city centre.
No trafffic jams

I like it.
RWS888:E

bentleg
25th Mar 2008, 05:48
Adelaide people will have an issue with housing prices if they look at a move to Sydney or Melbourne. Bigger mortgage, less take home pay (but no commute cost).

Integro
25th Mar 2008, 06:40
I hope there is plenty of work in Adelaide as I want to be based there too. All you guys that live on the East Coast can stay there. Lived in Syd, Melb and currently in Bris. None of them compare to Adelaide!

2ndGen
26th Mar 2008, 02:59
I agree kids I love Adelaide!! In Melb temporarily and it sucks @rse. But realistically even with staff travel (and then it is a roll of the dice whether you will get on sometimes) you'll be looking at $150 ADL-SYD per trip return. Whats that gonna be, between $300-$600 a month if you do 2-4 trips a month?? Considering alot of us are paying off flying debts, thats a fair chunk that could go to better use. Its what I'm planning to do too in the long run, but not sure if it is doable?
I could be totally wrong here, just off the top of my head.

vh_ajm
26th Mar 2008, 08:03
Last I was in Sydney I found Pale Ale AND Famer's Union Iced Coffee. I'm now packing my bags as these were the last two things stopping me getting outta here.

But seriously. Adelaide is a great place to live ... to raise kids and die.

flyitboy
26th Mar 2008, 08:09
ADL lovely town, if yr a God botherer & yr into rtooting like rabbits like 'tinpis' said(lucky buggers):E But being a pilot & combining the above is asking for trouble. Pilots have enough hassles with multiple wives/divorces never lone worrying about whether God is watching !:E

F