PDA

View Full Version : 2 x ATPL HP&L QUESTIONS

Greg2041
23rd Mar 2008, 15:35
These 2 questions are from one of those lovely databases. One implies that breathing pure oxygen (without pressure) will be sufficient up to an altitude of 40,000ft, whilst the other suggests that symptoms of hypoxia could be expected under the same circumstances somewhere between 38,000ft and 40,000ft. The red answers below are those shown as correct on the database. Which question is more likely a JAA one and why are they different?

At what altitude (breathing 100% oxygen without pressure) could symptoms of hypoxia be expected?

A) Approximately 38 - 40 000 ft.
B) Approximately 35 000 ft.
C) 22 000 ft
D) Approximately 10 - 12 000 ft.

Breathing pure oxygen (without pressure) will be sufficient up to an altitude of:

A) 60000 FT
B) 45000 FT
C) 40000 FT
D) 80000 FT

SkyCamMK
23rd Mar 2008, 16:17
When I did the ATPL Theory I was often reminded that when presented with a selection of possible answers,pick the one that is "most" correct. Since some texts show approx 39,000 ft and your choices are 38,000-40,000 ft or 40,000 ft then by excluding those that are obviously outside of this range you have your answer for exam purposes! A scientist may give a better explanation ...? The differences must not detract from the question just try to accept that this is fairly typical for JAA questions.

Greg2041
23rd Mar 2008, 16:18
And another 2 on Barotrauma.

In short one says that, "... even at normal cabin altitudes (i.e. around 8000 ft) you can get severe abdominal pain and flatulence."

Another question says, that this is:

"More frequent when flying above 18,000 FT in a non-pressurized aircraft".

Are both right or is there a typing error?

Many thanks!

Greg2041
23rd Mar 2008, 16:20
Thanks SkyCamMK. I would have thought that the JAA would be very professional when it comes to writing exam questions.

SkyCamMK
23rd Mar 2008, 19:59
Greg, it is more to do with how it reads. It would be exppected to be more common at higher altitudes/lower pressures as trapped gas expands more as the pressure decreases. The questions are not unprofessional but they do require a level of comprehension that is different to everyday speech. Think about it, as soon as pressure decreases gases expand. Not much non-pressurized flight for passengers these days but the cabin pressure is also kept around 7,000 ft in transport jets. Do not worry too much, greater exposure to questions compiled from all over Europe and not all written by people with English as their first language may have a part to play too. Try and be logical when disecting questions. You will learn a lot, and quickly, keep going but make time for some rest and relaxation too.

paco
24th Mar 2008, 05:11
If it helps, the philosophy behind the questions is that there should be one correct answer, one nearly right and two wrong, although this doesn't always happen!

If you're really stuck, choose from the two with the most words in the answer.

Phil

Greg2041
24th Mar 2008, 11:51
Thanks Guys - all information gratefully received!