PDA

View Full Version : Medicals and age discrimination

DennisK
23rd Mar 2008, 14:12
I imagine quite a few posters here will have followed the 'Age Discrimination' thread and Uncle Ian's recent Tribunal hearing and claim v CAA for loss of earnings etc.

I am presently tasked with producing a paper on the merits or otherwise of allowing public transport flying on single pilot ops at over 59 years of age.

I'd like some views, pilots and medics please ... on the general principle of, pass the appropriate medical ... be legal to fly.

The relevance and medical requirements of other public transport ops, such as trains, PSV coaches, taxis et al. (Mostly no age limitations)

Validity and industry's acceptance of the above. Is the 'hold a medical .. be allowed to fly' principle reasonable?

Would over 60/65 pilots think it reasonable to pay the extra cost of the more
invasive and accurate medical procedures for examination. (Isotope readings etc) ie ... beyond stress (exercise) ECGs.

From our medical experts. How much more accurate, if at all, and health predictive are such further tests?

Should there be any 'age cut-off' point?

Plus other interesting tit-bits for inclusion. Posters please include permission to quote and publish if acceptable.

Thanks for the anticipated info, and even at age 75, at present I'm not taking sides.

Dennis Kenyon.

SkyCamMK
23rd Mar 2008, 20:43
Hi Good to see your efforts in the CAA related thread. I am a CPL FI(A) and cannot comment on airline policies. It is somewhat hypocritical though in my opinion as you and others have already pointed out that we can fly the same aircraft to the same places with the same people but it becomes illegal when the paper is not correct. The correct paper is in this case linked to a birth certificate. At 54 I could perhaps have different prospects of supporting myself through aviation in the future if the regulations were changed. There is a lot of prejudice generally and slowly it is being made illegal. Age is only one of the last bastions. Realistically pilots should be healthier than the general population if our medicals mean anything. Predictable events may not be spotted however if our medicals are simply going through the bureaucratic motions. As transport operatives the fact that we move in a 3D environment can add complications and for airliners the risk is higher but then there are 2 pilots there. Risk assessment must now be carried out in such a way that the hazard of incapacity can only be removed when we have accurate, up to date evidence of failures that are shown to higher than in other walks of life. I know of 3 FTO that use a 70+ instructor for Multi/IR and he has had the increased (nuclear medicine) check-ups and 2 new knees into the bargain! I think he is exceptional but he is working doing what he does best. The risk in his case is obviously existent but I would say slight. Hope this is what you were looking for, I hope higher ranking types will post. Good luck..