PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Planning Exercise and Interview

Artificial Horizon
23rd Mar 2008, 12:59
I have had a few PM's asking about the planning exercise with Jetstar so here goes:

They give you a route that you are rostered to fly A - B - A - C with flight times a schedule and basic perfomance figures that allow you to work out fuel. Of course on departure you have a tech fault that doesn't effect timings but does increase fuel burn putting your first destination just out of reach. On the first landing you have to get the fault fixed which increases your turnaround time to two hours from one hour. Your job is to replan the day with the goal of sticking as close to the original schedule as possible. The kicker comes when you see the notam sheet for all of the available airports. Things like restricted fuel supplies, no maintenance, runways shut at certain times and of course crew FDP's. You are required to write out 3 different options before selecting the one scenario you want to proceed with after which you have to fill out a detailed flight log with fuel uplifts and burns and adjustments to the schedule. Time is the major issue, I though that I had it cracked and had come up with a scenario that would only lose a couple of hours on the original schedule, then as I was filling in the flight log with about 10 minutes to go realised that my crew would be about 20 minutes short on Duty Time. All I can say is keep an eye on that time and keep reading those notams because every time you think you have cracked it there will be some detail in there that will screw it up for you

Hope this helps someone a little bit. As for the interview there was NO technical questions whatsoever, just a little bit about myself and then all behavioural questions such as:

Tell me about a time when you have had to communicate a complicated idea to another person in different language?

What qualities do you consider a good leader to have, now tell me about a time when you have displayed these qualities?

Tell me about a time in the last two years when you have had to make a difficult decision which was not work related?

Tell me about a time when you have had conflict with a co-worker and how did you resolve this?

Tell me about a time when you have had to repremand someone for inappropriate behaviour not linked to performance?

All of the examples had to be specific stories with timeframes and details, i.e. not just your general overview.

Good Luck one and all.

blow.n.gasket
25th Mar 2008, 08:18
Where's the bit about Qantas footing all the bills?:ok:

pooy2
19th Apr 2008, 09:09
That is the most useful AND most sensible info i have read on this site!!! :D

ITCZ
19th Apr 2008, 09:58
"Behavioural Interviews" are all the rage at JQ. Its another HR/recruitment fad. Opposite of the infamous Cathay interview - no technical questions. You can leave the books (naval aviators, kermode, davies) on the shelf. The recruitment manager is running the show so you will have to play their game: the pilot interviewer is there for assistance.

Behavioural interviewing is supposed to remove the bias toward applicants that cram, rehearse and study to say the right things, fit the mould and get through. It is easily worked around - you just have to study different things.

AH sample questions above are pretty close to what you will be asked, so pick a situation for each of those questions before you turn up, and work out roughly what you would say.

When answering, use the STAR (http://www.quintcareers.com/STAR_interviewing.html) mnemonic to keep your answer to the point.

Dont be too complicated, or try to be too clever. They don't want professors or Chuck Yeager, they want FO's.

Dont pick situations where a rule was broken.

Dont pick situations where the conflict was male v female or another politically incorrect/taboo subject.

Recent events are better than events from when you were starting out.

Dont elaborate or try to make the story better or less severe - they are looking for body language and other cues. They will ask follow up questions if they think your story needs clarification.

Dont go in thinking that you are on more of an "even footing" because there is a pilot shortage. Old habits die hard. They are an airline, and you are not yet a proper jet airline pilot. Its still their train set.

Re: the flight planning exercise. There are three possible solutions to the exercise, maybe four. Get a copy of the examples that are going around and work them out before you get there.

Good luck.

assasin8
19th Apr 2008, 11:16
Sorry Folks,
Know this is a serious thread... but here's a bit of levity...

Q. If you had a gun with 2 silver bullets, a vampire, a werewolf and an HR manager, who would you shoot?
A. The HR manager twice; just to be sure.

Good luck one and all...