PDA

View Full Version : Culdrose

mustpost
23rd Mar 2008, 12:31
Longish shot, but I'm looking for information regarding a Sea King crash near RNAS Culdrose 1973-4..PMs are fine, and I'll delete the thread unless it throws up something interesting. It involved a late friend..

mustpost
23rd Mar 2008, 18:09
Many thanks for the PM help from a new-found friend - what a wonderful thing pprune is when you've lost your marbles/memory. I was of course referring to a loss on the 21st March 1974 - I will delete this thread tomorrow (Mon) unless anyone adds detail which is helpful (which would be more than welcome). Just checking web information concerning a tragic accident which killed a good friend 34 years ago - nothing investigative/sinister etc..PMs fine :ok:
Cheers
Mike

John Eacott
23rd Mar 2008, 21:29
21st March 1974: that would have been 054. Yes, I was there (flying) and on the ground.

What do you need to know?

John Eacott
24th Mar 2008, 00:01
I've put personal details in a PM, but for anyone curious: it was a night casex west of the Lizard, and fairly flat conditions. 054 had doppler slip which resulted in them flying into 210 foot high cliffs when in transit between dips. Our standard jump height was 200 feet :(

I had to land alongside the crash an hour later with the total stock of black powder extinguishers from RNAS Culdrose, to fight the magnesium fire from the main gear box. When the first 10 extinguishers (2lb each, IIRC) were put in the back of our Sea King, we waited for the rest. 5 minutes later we were told in no uncertain terms by Little F to get on our way, there were no more to be found!!

T-21
25th Mar 2008, 00:09
Sea King HAS1 XV702 824 Sqdn Nr. Lizard.