PDA

View Full Version : I'm about 40 minutes into American Gangster. Is it worth continuing?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Mar 2008, 03:06
It's quite well made, but I have to say ... it's a gigantic snooze fest.

:zzz:

Does it get any better? or should I get back to working on my taxes?

tinpis
23rd Mar 2008, 03:40
No .....fuggin awful

Get "Layer Cake" from the store.

PLovett
23rd Mar 2008, 03:58
Don't listen to tinnie, he's auditioning for "Grumpy Old Men".:*

Stick with it as the last 30 minutes or so are great.:ok:

tinpis
23rd Mar 2008, 04:08
Spoiler :E

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Lucas_%28drug_lord%29

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
23rd Mar 2008, 05:07
It got better.

Funnily enough I just bought Layer Cake for three bucks from a garage sale last weekend. When I got it home, I looked at the box a little more closely and realised . . .

. . . I'd already seen it :{

powerstall
23rd Mar 2008, 05:13
..get back to working on your taxes... :}

Cap'n Arrr
24th Mar 2008, 10:11
I fell asleep after 20, then woke up at 40, then fell asleep again.

Regardless of how well done it is and how much acclaim it may get from critics, its dull, and I can't take Denzel Washington seriously as a ruthless criminal. I guess I'm too used to him being on the other side.

But then I thoroughly enjoyed the Resident Evil movies, so I guess I'm not the classiest viewer:}

Parapunter
24th Mar 2008, 12:51
True story innit? Even with hollywood artistic licence, there's only so far they can bend the tale. I thought it was ok, but not one to watch over & again.

I just don't get the veneration of Layer cake, The main characters are woefully miscast - Daniel Craig just doesn't make the leap to a morally corrupt drug dealer & as for Harvey Moon...plus the peripheral players are worse than a far fetched episode of Minder. Snatch does it so much better.

helimutt
24th Mar 2008, 15:28
watched it last night and it went on a bit. Saw that Vantage Point the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Only thing that spoiled it was the badly computer generated presidents heli departure at the end.
Apart from that it was non stop action. :ok:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Mar 2008, 19:59
Well I finished it, and it was ok, but I got to thinking about it afterwards and it really started to p1ss me off.

Fitrstly, I have to say that Ilike the way they drew the central character as more than a one dimensional comic book character as so often happens in the filums. Like a reviewer once sai "He was so unremitingly bad, that you could not help but celebrate when he was killed".

So it was interesting that the guy was thoughtfull, looked after his family, approached drug dealing as a business and his drug as a brand, but if anything he was almost onedimensional in the OTHER direction.

Sure he rolled over on the corrupt police and the other gangsters . . . once he was caught and he has a big smile, and was a success, but what the film completely failed to miss was the fact that he preyed, mostly on his own people and left a trail of devastation and destruction behind him. Sure like he said, "if it wasn't me it'd be someone else", but it WAS him and the film never really explored that. In fact him and Russell Crowe at the end, all chummy and drinking Starbucks at the end. This with a guy who poured petrol on someone and set fire to him.

They also completely failed to follow up on the suggestion that Nike, selling shoes that people couldn't afford were in some ways quite similar to his business, albeit without the petrol and the cigarette lighter.

So my opinion is that is was complete tosh and not worth the price of admission :*

(which is of course generally denoted by the phrase 'two thumbs up' :confused: )

Parapunter
24th Mar 2008, 21:34
...Apart from the scene over Christmas dinner where Denz is shown having the rare old craic whilst his customers keel over dead in abject misery with a crying child. Point being it is there, but glossed over.

Likewise in There will be blood - the supporting characters are such a bunch of over tightened bolts that I spent the first hour cheering for nasty old Daniel. GO OIL!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Mar 2008, 23:01
Except he visits the guy who's been cutting his stuff and seems more worried that his brand has been tarnished, rather than actual people dying.

Parapunter
24th Mar 2008, 23:10
Mmm, By definition, he'd be unlikely to be worried about his dying customers. Being a drug dealer n'all? Agree it's not exactly human Traffic or Trainspotting but still, fair's fair...

Rush2112
25th Mar 2008, 07:06
It's an airplane film: you have nothing better to do for 3+ hours, so might as well watch it. Go to see it at the flicks, or buy the DVD, I think not.

It was an adequate film, and no more.