PDA

View Full Version : Secombe Aviation (www.atpl.com.au)

jbr76
23rd Mar 2008, 00:18
Hello,

Just wondering if anybody has any information regarding Secombe Aviation and their fulltime ATPL course.

Has anybody had any experience with them, and if so what feedback do you have?

I am thinking of going down there for their first course in 2009 and wouldnt mind hearing other peoples opinion of the establishment prior to me booking anything or paying any course deposits.

Cheers,

Julian

Aussie
23rd Mar 2008, 01:20
Gday mate, I did Flight planning with Secombe Aviation back a few yrs ago now, and Gavin was really good and knew his stuff! I think AFT is the way to go, but if your in Syd and cant go North, then he is a good alternative....

Good luck!

Zhaadum
23rd Mar 2008, 01:46
I hope you are religious. If so Gavin's "Jesus" notes will get you through your ATPL no worries! (The notes have religious quotes etc in the margins on every page :rolleyes:)
The Aviation content however is top notch! :)

I personally would recommend AFT at Maroochydore. Good luck wherever you go! :ok:

cocoblue
23rd Mar 2008, 01:47
Very much recommended.Helpful and practical.I did mine externally a few years back.
Cheers
Coco

gliderboy
23rd Mar 2008, 02:28
Did his course in 1990.

Passed.

Therefore he is great!

Gliderboy:)

Capt. Crocodile
23rd Mar 2008, 08:13
I have done ATPL subjects with both Gavin Secombe at Bankstown and AFT in Maroochydore. The advantage with Secombe is that the classes are much smaller than AFT and you will get a lot more personal attention. People that couldn't keep the pace at AFT basically had to go back the next term and do it again. At Secombe the pace is a little slower so if you lose the plot, Gavin can spend time to help you find it again. The advantage of AFT though is that they book an exam room so you can do the test as soon as each subject is finished. As Secombe's classes are smaller it's up to you to book the exam when you're ready. If you are tight for time then go to AFT in Maroochydore. Good luck!

jbr76
23rd Mar 2008, 08:46
Thanks for all your replies guys ... I think I will definately go with Secombe Aviation, as they offer all 7 subjects in-house, rather than AFT who only do 4 subjects in-house, the other 3 have to be completed via correspondence :yuk:

Cheers,

Julian

:ok:

Aussie
23rd Mar 2008, 09:21
I heard that those Jesus notes on the top of the pages are not only there for religious reasons, but also, a way that Gavin tracks whos books/notes they are!

Everyone gets there own jesus phrase and he can track that to your name if you decide to hand the notes around :eek:

Funny Man

Reverseflowkeroburna
24th Mar 2008, 04:28
I did all of my subjects (excluding the couple that I self-studied) with Gavin about 7-8 years ago. I found both Gavin and his notes both thorough and professional. Although I only did one subject at a time while I worked, I never had to resit any. One sit, one pass. I came away very happy.

I know very little of AFT, although there may be some obvious networking value in it. Secombe Aviation however, I'm quite happy to reccommend.

I hope this helps. :ok:

Capt Wally
24th Mar 2008, 08:05
Funny that the jesus thingy comes up here with ATPL subjects. Apart from 'praying' that you have passed each exam does anybody realise that Nathan at AFT is also a God man. Top guy, smiles a lot, knows way too much for one person & makes it as easy as possible with hints & tips to get around the most stupid Q's that find their way into the exams.

Hi Nathan if you ever read these notes, you made my life bearable during those awful weeks of study many moons ago!

Let's face it after you have passed all ATPL subjects you can memory dump 99% of it 'cause rarely does it help anyway. Any commercial candidate who's switched on could handle a jet without most of the ATPL stuff. I know I did & I'm also blonde!:E

Don't know of Seacombe other than good reports.

CW