PDA

View Full Version : Crashed Venom on Jebel Akhdar, Oman

l.garey
22nd Mar 2008, 15:30
On 30 August 1958, almost 50 years ago, Venom WR552 of 8 Sqd RAF based at RAF Sharjah in what is now the United Arab Emirates, crashed on the plateau of Jebel Akhdar, Oman, during a strafing run. What is left of the wreck is still there, and the pilot, Owen Watkinson, is buried alongside. I visited the site in October 2003. Details and photographs are on:
l.garey2 - The Buraimi and Jebel Akhdar Crises, 1952-1959 by Laurence Garey Last update: 22 March 2008 (http://l.garey2.googlepages.com/home)
(the last section, on the Venom crash site).
I was hoping to be able to identify the various serial numbers and inscriptions on pieces of wreckage, but have not been able to do so. Can anyone advise from the photographs?

KeMac
23rd Mar 2008, 09:52
Interesting - A very well researched piece. I used to travel up to Buraimi and Al Ain regularly in the 70s but had never heard about the Venom.

PLovett
23rd Mar 2008, 13:26
Interesting that the pilot was buried at the crash site.

If I recall correctly the SAS trooper killed in the assault was buried near a small beach that could only be reached from the sea. This was the site where non-Muslims could be buried.

I believe this was due to sensitivity about non-Muslims being buried in Oman and that the site chosen was where non-believers could be buried without upsetting local sensitivities.

It is now some years since I read the reference but it may have been in General Sir Peter de Billiere's (sp?) autobiography.

Compass Call
23rd Mar 2008, 18:09
PLovett

I think that you are referring to 'Cemetry Bay' near Muscat. When I was in Oman the only access to Cemetry Bay was by sea.

I heard a rumour recently that the bodies of the military personnel interred there had been removed and re-interred elsewhere. I have not been able find out if this is fact or rumour though.

Regards,
CC

PLovett
23rd Mar 2008, 23:46
Compass Call,

Thank you for the information. It certainly sounds like the spot I read about.

Regards
PL

Ali Barber
23rd Jun 2008, 19:46
Cemetery bay remains undisturbed and is, from time to time, cleaned by volunteers. You can reach it overland but it is a hard slog over the hill I am told. There is a Christian cemetery on the edge of the main oil complex in Muscat for more recent interments.

PLovett
29th Jun 2008, 06:11
Ali Barber

Thank you for the information. I have to admit that when I read about the bay I had a rather romantic image of a quiet place undisturbed by much except the lapping of the waters as being a very suitable place for a cemetery.

Regards
PL

TwoFingers
19th Nov 2017, 03:37
Good morning all. Please excuse any errors in this first post.

I am currently serving in Oman. I have visited the crash site recently and yesterday photographed the small plaque to Flt Lt Watkinson on the wall of the cemetery at the church in Ruwi. I am looking into the possibility of having a more formal memorial dedicated to Owen. Does anyone have any further information that might help move this project forward, especially any contact details of NOK that I might use?

l.garey
19th Nov 2017, 13:03
Thank you TwoFingers for reopening this thread.

From what friends who have visited the site recently tell me, the Venom is now protected by a fence. This an improvement, as last time I was there (2008, see my first post on this thread) there were young lads jumping on the wreckage.

I'm afraid I have nothing to add to what I have already published. Keep us informed if you have any progress to report. If you want to discuss anything private, send me a private message.

Cheers,

Laurence

TwoFingers
5th Apr 2018, 05:04
Good morning all.

A very short update on research. The Air Historical Branch are now looking at this case and will report once they have completed their investigation into NOK etc.

Rgds

Rick

l.garey
5th Apr 2018, 11:53
TwoFingers: Thanks for the update. I am in contact with Owen's next of kin. I shall ask if this person wishes to take this further. Sorry to sound abrupt but I can't give any more details until I am authorised to do so.I am sure you understand. Best wishes,

Laurence

l.garey
5th Apr 2018, 14:46
TwoFingers: That seems alright, so I'll give you the details by PM. OK with you?

Laurence

l.garey
5th Apr 2018, 14:56
TwoFingers: when I try to send you a Private Message I get a message that you cannot be reached by PM. So, unless your PM box is unblocked, can you give me your email?

Laurence