PDA

View Full Version : Private bin men?

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 11:54
Just been a item of Sky news about the phenomena of private bin emptying companies that are springing up in areas where the feckwit councils have decided to empty bins fortnightly instead of weekly,spokesman for the council came out with a dilly,
"We have found that the majority of our council tax payers actually approve of this new system"
You know not even Joseph Goebbels would have had the unmitigated gall to come out with something like that.
:suspect:
Apparently these chaps are charging about 8 quid per bin to do the job people have already paid to be done by their council.

UniFoxOs
22nd Mar 2008, 12:11
Some years ago our council changed from collecting black bags weekly - as many as you have - to wheelie bins, one black for household, one brown for garden waste, collected alternate weeks, plus green boxes for recyclables - paper, glass etc. At the time we were p1ssed off that we were losing our weekly collections, but it has worked very well. At christmas they don't collect the brown one but do the black ones every week. The rest of the year we very rarely have too much for the fortnightly black bin, in which case we either stuff the surplus in a neighbour's bin, or put it in the brown bin until the black one is emptied, then swap it over.

It seems to me that anybody who fills more than one of these (quite large, nearly 5 foot tall) wheelie bins in a fortnight is creating too much waste and should pay extra for the priviledge of polluting the environment. This looks like a neat way of achieving this.

UFO

Blacksheep
22nd Mar 2008, 12:29
We live in an apartment block with a communal waste disposal area equipped with four large bins. Local folks with large items like beds, dressers, refrigerators, etc. come round at night and dump their stuff in the car park, next to the waste disposal. Once we even had a complete set of seven interior doors from someone's house! The council won't take it away and the estate management call in a private firm to deal with it. Later, we have the privilege of paying a communal surcharge for disposing of other people's rubbish. I've tried raising enthusiasm for a 'neighbourhood watch' arrangement but had no response from the other owner occupiers, so I must assume that they are satisfied with the status quo.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 12:47
I dont have a lot of time for local councils but I will allow that mine do try,frinstance we still have our bins emptied weekly there is a good fee council tip and they will come round and take away large item like old three pieces free of charge and such if you phone em,however thay have recently ended the aforementioned free collection service and put a small charge on them,summat like a fiver per five large items collected even this small charge has caused a increase in fly tipping,there was a whole load of builders rubble dumped out the back last week,the lazy bastards could have taken it to the council tip and got shot of it for nowt.
It's not so much the fact of the fortnightly collection mentioned in the first post that is infuriating to me,its the outright lies the bastards come up with to justify their action,"most people we have spoken to approve" my arse, if they even undertook such a survey they must have been very careful to knock on the door of local councilors and their close relatives only.
:suspect:

Slasher
22nd Mar 2008, 13:10
Why do you think everyone was tossin there
sh!t straight onto the street yonks ago?

The cycle has all been done before.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 13:16
Some truth in what you say Mr Slasher,our town centers are back looking like a Hogarth's Woodcut Gin Lane on weekend nights now.
:)

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 13:56
The municipal bin men collect my rubbish everyday. Only, I have to put it out after 1am (so as not to upset the 2 restaurants en face) and before 6.30am (when the bin men usually come round).

So I've developed a strategy for my rubbish disposal:

Stale bread, rice leftovers etc. get thrown out onto the neighbour's roof for the birds; anything organic that can be or already is chopped up into small bits (eg. raw meat, old leaking veggies, curry remnants etc) gets flushed down the loo - someday I'll get myself an Insinkerator but the loo works just as well I've found, even though I didn't eat it all first...; that generally just leaves paper and plastic wrappings, junk mail, empty food and soft-drink cans, Cafe Creme mini-cigarillo tins and William & Lawson Scotch bottles - all of which fit into a 100L rubbish bag that I leave out once a fortnight.

The municipality did introduce a rubbish sorting / collection scheme a few years back (I still have about 100 each of the 100L yellow and blue sacks) but it only lasted a few weeks. There's a bank of containers for glass / metal etc. about 100m away from me which I've never used yet. It's not so much the embarrasment of lugging empty Heinz Mulligatawny soup and Heinz baked bean cans over there, it's all the empty bottles of Scotch...:zzz:

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 14:16
In my day the majority of household rubbish went on the back of the coal fire,bottles were returned to the shop of course and the thrupence deposit on same trousered, tin cans were shot full of holes by our air rifles,then binned alone with the minute amount of ash all the other household waste had been reduced to.
I recal there was also a bin for a few years after the war specifically for vegetable and edible waste called the pig bin where such rubbish was converted into bacon and legs of pork.
When yer bought a lettuce it did not come wrapped in 30 square foot of celephane an yer had a special stout bag for taqtties,Fish n Chips came wrapped in proper newspaper not in plastic boxes or wrapped in special paper printed to look like newspaper
:rolleyes:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Mar 2008, 14:25
Isn't the private sanitation industry what gave the Mafia a foothold in New York and New Jersey?

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 14:37
The various Mafia's (we have about ten different ethnic minority mafia's here,but oddly enough we don't seem to have a Sicilian one) are to busy running things like hospital parking schemes wheel clamping and dept collecting companies to bother wi being bin men.

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 14:56
It seems to me that anybody who fills more than one of these (quite large, nearly 5 foot tall) wheelie bins in a fortnight is creating too much waste and should pay extra for the priviledge of polluting the environment.

Generally speaking, the banding of council tax was so the bigger families (or at least, people with larger houses where a larger one is likely to live) paid more for services provided by the council (including cast iron pensions for council employees - now look - you've got me going...).

I strongly believe that it's time we had environmentally friendly packaging on food and other domestic purchases, and far less packaging, full stop. Having to throw all this wasteful stuff away is a bl**dy embarrassment and a scandal as far as I'm concerned.

Keef
22nd Mar 2008, 16:21
The various Mafia's (we have about ten different ethnic minority mafia's here,but oddly enough we don't seem to have a Sicilian one) are to busy running things like hospital parking schemes wheel clamping and dept collecting companies to bother wi being bin men.
I'm sorry to have to tell you, Dr D, that those Mafiosi have made their way to the other end of the country. They are very active now in Essex. Visiting folks in hospital is getting very expensive round here (and it's not the cost of the grapes that's doing it).

Beatriz Fontana
22nd Mar 2008, 16:29
I'm all for the two-weekly refuse collection as long as a good recycling policy is in place.

My local council doesn't collect card or cardboard. Or plastic packaging. My last council did all of these (I moved a few months ago). In fact, if I want to recycle card and cardboard, I have to get into a car and drive to the municipal dump. I don't have a car at present so, therefore, I can't recycle. Madness.

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 17:55
I'm all for the two-weekly refuse collection as long as a good recycling policy is in place.

I'm against the two weekly bin collection scheme because basically it's "rubbish".

We're one of the unfortunate families that fill one bin per week. The council have a list of what can and cannot be recycled, the the list of what can is quite limited. Their recycling target was 12% on introduction of the scheme. So, out of my "bin's worth" I could only put in 12% for 2 weeks = 24%, leaving 176% of the original rubbish to go in the non-recyclables bin! 176% into 100% just doesn't go. As for being "green", we had to make journeys to and from the community skip to dispose of the extra 76% that wouldn't fit in the bin.

I complained to the council environmental services; the lady I spoke to couldn't understand the problem (or, more likely, she pretended not to understand). I tried to explain that a 12% target means they should certainly not be collecting recyclables every other week because the maths don't work. She told me "Well, we've had a consultant in, that's what they had advised us".

Now the target has been increased to 24% and the list of recyclable stuff is slightly longer but the overflowing bin problem remains and is all of the council's own making. They still don't take any glass or garden stuff; we still have to drive that to a recycling facility ourselves. Nor will they collect larger items.

The local countryside is now festooned with rubbish, none of it biodegradable. A computer monitor sits on the grass verge not far from me on the edge of the village as I type this; last week's ironing board and the photocopier further down the lane has gone though, I noticed. They must be doing weekly rubbish collections outside the village, so why not within it? :ugh:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Mar 2008, 18:02
Why not take your rubbish down to City Hall, take it into the building and leave it in one of their rubbish bins in the hallway? They can't exactly do anything to you because you put rubbish ... in a rubbish bin.

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 18:25
Actually, I have been slightly guilty of de-personalising stuff "not exactly on the list" and chucking it in the recyclabes bin. Let them sort it out their end. Half wits.

hippotamus
22nd Mar 2008, 19:16
When i lived in the Uk , we had fortnightly pickup of garbage , and recycling. It actually worked quite well but what really pissed me off was the not packaging but the amount of unsolicited crap that came through my door on a daily basis.
We lived in a university city and in the space of one week I managed to accumulate

4 local papers
32 takeaway leaflets
3 different church/cults etc inviting me to thinly disguised social event
4 local supermarket specials leaflets
2 local DIY superstore leaflets
5 estate agents leaflets wanting to sell my house
3 leaflets from people allegedly wanting to buy my house
7 leaflets from various tradesment wanting to "improve" my house
3 leaflets from ambulance chasing lawyers wanting to "help me claim"
and so on.

This is not unsolicited mail but hand delivered leaflets shoved through the door , now please tell me WHY AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR RECYCLING THIS SHIT!!!?

lexxity
22nd Mar 2008, 22:10
My local council doesn't collect card or cardboard. Or plastic packaging. My last council did all of these (I moved a few months ago). In fact, if I want to recycle card and cardboard, I have to get into a car and drive to the municipal dump. I don't have a car at present so, therefore, I can't recycle. Madness.

Not just our council that's bonkers then. We have a full size green wheely bin for glass, emptied every fortnight (how much glass do they think we use in two weeks?) ONE (that's right, one, you have to collar a binman if you want more) redbag for all plastics and tins collected every fortnight (surely it would make more sense to use the green bin for this, you can't believe that amount of plastic and tincans you use, a brown bin for garden waste as long as it's grass or leaves or hedgetrimmings, no bits of real tree of soil thanks, this is collected sometimes. We also have a black wheely bin for general waste, collected fortnightly. We still fill the bloody thing and my house always has piles of glass and carboard waiting to be taken out to the proper bin. The cardboard we sort because it takes up too much space in the general bin. We then drive about 4mile to the tip with it!

henry crun
22nd Mar 2008, 22:18
lexxity: A general bin, a green bin, a brown bin, a black bin !

Where do you folks in the UK keep all these wheelie bins you are required to have ?

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 22:51
In the skip, of course.

C130 Techie
22nd Mar 2008, 23:09
We still have our wheelie bins emptied weekly.

However, the fortnightly 'kerbside' recycling is very restricted. They take cans, glass and some paper. They will not take shredded paper:confused:, envelopes, cardboard or plastic bottles.

If I want to recycle these items I have to drive 5 miles to the local household recycling centre. Defeats the object really.

Parapunter
23rd Mar 2008, 00:05
Ours won't take glass - they claim there's no market for it. So I take it round the dump, where the council have provided a bottle bank.:ugh:

BOFH
23rd Mar 2008, 00:09
it's not the cost of the grapes that's doing it)

I thought you could have those fixed for free on the NHS. :eek:

The problem with making the lack of rubbish lucrative is that it becomes a commodity, and this being Britain, will immediately be stolen. We'll be locking our rubbish bins next (this is what a friend back in Germany has to do).

We can't all be Bono or Sting and strictly adhere to the greenest principles at all times. Some will be led into temptation, for example by our levying their extra 20 lb of chavwaste another five pounds for its disposal. For it is written, that the bones of the KFC and cans of Stella shall be cast into our wastebins instead. And Auberon, having seen Wayne do this, reproached him, whereupon Wayne did smite Auberon with great force.

BOFH

Captain Speedbird
23rd Mar 2008, 00:45
This sort of parochial fascism is all well and good in the suburbs, where everyone plays the game. If I were to put a broken computer monitor or ironing board in the road outside Speedbird Towers, I can guarantee it will remain there until either I or a neighbour remove it. However, cross to the rough side of town, and it will be gone within 24 hrs. (Not stolen, I hasten to add, but uplifted by roving bin men charged with preventing the place ending up looking like Ramallah. It seems the council helps those who don't help themselves, and all you leafy suburbanites pay for their scummy behaviour. A dirty protest in Acacia Avenue is what we need. Fortnightly bin days? No problem if everyone just dumped their rubbish in the street weekly. Let the incompetent tax guzzlers do their job. You pay for it.

Doors to Automatic
23rd Mar 2008, 00:58
Yet another way the unelected communist government asserts its authority and makes our lives so difficult we do not have the time or energy to mount any sort of objecion.

tony draper
23rd Mar 2008, 01:03
One has given the matter some deep thought and have come to the conclusion that the only way to resolve this situation is to round up all the councilors and put them to death.

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Mar 2008, 02:17
What happens if you're colour blind? Surely that's discrimination?

Dan D'air
23rd Mar 2008, 02:23
Rant mode on:

I recycle everything that the local council will allow me to. I then burn the rest, either in the fireplace, or in the garden. **** 'em. They sell it on anyway, I certainly don't see a reduction in my council tax bill for what I give them and I am definitely not going to pay to go to the tip.

Rant mode off.

CathayBrat
23rd Mar 2008, 12:43
The missus and myself live in a lovely neighbourhood just 15 mins from the center of the city ( wont say which one, you'll all be moving over!) We have 2 bins, one black for waste, one green for recycling. The green one will take everything you can imagine that should be recycled, glass, paper, metal etc, in fact trying hard to find something i CANT put in. All the rest goes in black one ( which we have yet to fill even once!) These are emptied once a week, without fail. There are 2 private companies and the council doing the bins in this area, so if you dont like one, moving only takes 1 phone call. Oh, did i also mention it costs 60 euro a year.:E And no silly council taxes here either! Cant complain really......

tony draper
23rd Mar 2008, 14:00
We were issued with a a black plastic box for recyclable stuff ,old news papers magazine tins bottles ect,collected by a private company once a fortnight,the story here is it goes straight to the same land fill site they dump the other rubbish in and deposited therein ,councils being paid a subsidy to collect same but nothing for any kind of recycling,one can quite believe it because that is exactly the way our politicians think.

Tigs2
23rd Mar 2008, 14:43
The binmen in London (W14) are fecking brilliant. They come twice a week, everyone leaves their rubbish in bags in Lockers in the Garden, the binmen take them all out themselves and pre position them on the street. They have recycling collections, and if you have an old tv, bit of furniture, microwave etc, just put it on the street and if someone who lives near by doesn't grab it in a few hours, it will be gone the following day.

L'aviateur
23rd Mar 2008, 15:17
It seems to me that anybody who fills more than one of these (quite large, nearly 5 foot tall) wheelie bins in a fortnight is creating too much waste and should pay extra for the priviledge of polluting the environment. This looks like a neat way of achieving this.

UniFoxO's, with due respect your 62 years old; and most likely produce an awful lot less garbage then the average family household.

lexxity
23rd Mar 2008, 15:52
I forgot to mention this little detail re:cardboard. As I already said we keep ours and do a monthly run to the tip. However in the two other areas in this wonderful borough of ours on the fortnightly collections they have a cardboard collection and in both of these other towns there is also a carboard recyling facility too! Neither of which we have here!:ugh:

Oh and this is my favourite part, this MBC is a Labour stronghold, has been for 25years, and guess which three wards are on the fortnightly collection?

That's right, the blue parts! :mad:

Ken Wells
23rd Mar 2008, 17:49
In New York is illegal to take rubbish left on the sidewalk as the city makes 150 million dollars a year from reycling the waste.

Therefore daily collection is free.

Sometimes I think our local councils couldn't organise a P*ss up in brewery

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Mar 2008, 22:26
"We have found that the majority of our council tax payers actually approve of this new system"
We (the ruling political group on our council) did a survey and found exactly that. The majority complaint from the punters, not that there were many complaints at all, was in fact that we didn't do enough recycling, not that we forced too much on residents. Yes there were a few unhappy people but they were in a small minority (and almost certainly Daily Mail readers, although we'd neglected to capture newspaper readership in the survey - maybe we should have done a cross-check with Tory voting intentions and IQ below 50).

We didn't publish the results of this survey. Simply because they were so good that nobody would believe them, and it doesn't do a politician any good to put out leaflets that people think are lying even if they're telling the exact truth.

tony draper
23rd Mar 2008, 22:47
You were wise not to publish,I just read your post and I don't believe yer.:E

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Mar 2008, 23:14
'S true all the same.

The majority opinion was that people knew they "ought" to recycle more but couldn't be arsed until they were coerced into doing so, at which point they were quite happy with the situation.

(BTW it helps to get the system right, which not all councils have managed. In particular we allow food waste to go into either the green or the black bin so that things like chicken carcases never need to be kept for more than a week. Plus, we asked the punters what they wanted as "compensation" for the new system, and a staggering 89% agreed that what they wanted was kerbside plastic bottle collection, so that's what we provied. Plus, if people insist on using disposable nappies, as they are entitled to, and don't want them in the bin for a fortnight they can ask to be put onto the weekly clinical waste collection - however as this involves putting a bright yellow bag labelled "CLINICAL WASTE" out with your bins the number of takers we have had for this service has been exactly zero. We do of course subsidise real nappy services so that there is a well publicised alternative.)

lexxity
24th Mar 2008, 13:21
Alternatively you can get an open fire and burn disposable nappies. :}

Ken Wells
24th Mar 2008, 13:27
I was sailing in the med a few years ago off the coast of Gibraltar.

We came across a slick of floating rubbish from sewerage pipes that come form the Spanish coast, most of it was used panty liners most other watse sinks or degrades but these things don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

G-CPTN
24th Mar 2008, 14:04
Our local system has a green bin for landfill items and a black bin for recyclable materials:-
Paper, junk mail, cereal boxes, thin card, magazines, catalogues, newspapers, envelopes, telephone directories
Empty plastic bottles, soft drinks, cooking oil, fruit juice, shampoo and toiletry, milk, household cleaner, fabric conditioner bottles.
Aluminium & steel cans, soft drink cans, alcohol cans, tinned food cans, pet food cans, empty aerosols
* Always wash cans to prevent unpleasant smells and pests.
* Remove labels and crush cans so they take up less room in the bank.

NOT accepted:-
Glass bottles and jars
Textiles, shoes, clothing, curtains, blankets and other fabrics
Foil and foil trays, Tetra Pak (waxed juice and milk cartons), nappies, kitchen waste
Plastics that aren't bottles, food trays, plant pots, yoghurt pots, cling film, margarine cartons, bubble wrap, carrier bags and sacks, polystyrene, foam
We have stopped collecting yoghurt pots, margarine tubs, cling film, cardboard, foil and foil trays as there are fewer uses for these materials. They require a lot of costly cleaning, sorting and processing and it is no longer cost effective to collect them. There is a demand for this type of material in countries like China but we do not want to export your waste.
We have stopped collecting foil and foil trays as we have found that they usually have food left on them that can contaminate other recyclable materials such as paper and plastic bottles.
We have stopped collecting cardboard as it causes problems at the sorting plant. Large pieces of cardboard jam the sorting conveyor belts and also cover and hide other materials making it difficult to separate them.

Firestorm
25th Mar 2008, 09:44
Private binmen: I must tell my bro-in-law: that would really appeal to his middle class urban snobbishness! The rest of us are quite content to use the council service, or fill the Range Rover to go to the coucil tip ourselves!

Gainesy
25th Mar 2008, 11:46
I re-cycle all the junk mail. Mix up all their leaflets and put them in the freepost envelopes they provide and post all the crap back to em. Very satisfying. And it keeps a postman somewhere in work.

Firestorm
25th Mar 2008, 13:12
Nice one Gainsey: I'd like to copy that idea if I may!

BOFH
25th Mar 2008, 13:20
maybe we should have done a cross-check with Tory voting intentions and IQ below 50

And politicians wonder why they are held beneath contempt.

BOFH

Gainesy
25th Mar 2008, 16:33
Firestorm, tell your friends too. After all, someone at Direct Line may be dying to get a quote for double-glazing.:)

Ken Wells
25th Mar 2008, 20:50
I re-cycle all the junk mail. Mix up all their leaflets and put them in the freepost envelopes they provide and post all the crap back to em. Very satisfying. And it keeps a postman somewhere in work.

What a brilliant idea!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I start doing that right away!!!:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

I think we all should, thanks:p

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Mar 2008, 22:22
maybe we should have done a cross-check with Tory voting intentions and IQ below 50
And politicians wonder why they are held beneath contempt.

That was a joke, dear, a joke.

(Whilst we do of course have "Tory voting intentions" on our computer there's no way we have any record of "IQ below 50". That information could only come from a value judgement from the canvassers (assuming of course that they can't actually see a copy of the Daily Mail lying around the house) and you wouldn't get information that was accurate enough to be of any use, so we expend our available effort on more useful things. And I'm not going to tell you any more about the mechanics of winning an election, you'll have to work the rest out for yourself.)

Nick Riviera
26th Mar 2008, 14:35
I am aghast that anyone would think that fortnightly collections were acceptable. We all pay an obscene amount of tax to ensure that we are not left with rubbish piling up. If my council started collecting on a fortnightly basis I dread to think how much crap would be left sitting around. It would be particularly pleasant in summer.

As for UFO and his thoughts, perhaps he could come and show me how not to fill a wheelie bin with rubbish each week. I recycle as much as I can (at the centre in the local supermarket every time we go there), but still have more than enough rubbish to spare each week.

Oh, and Gertrude, you couldn't be more of a caricature of an obnoxious, pompous, holier-than-thou politician if you tried.

airship
26th Mar 2008, 14:54
Private bin men now have their official theme song: Men men men, private bin men... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7cIAzVxMs) :ok: (Just change the words slightly).

I remember speaking to a council bin-man once many years ago - start at 0530, finish about 1130. Retire on full pension at 50. If you want a job, you gotta know someone who's already a bin-man...?! :ok:

tony draper
26th Mar 2008, 15:16
Used to be about ten bin men per bin waggon when I were a lad,there's just two now and a driver,we had proper metal dust bins then as well,the lids could be used as shields when involved in brick battles wi the urchins from next street up didn't matter if they caught on fire either being made of metal, setting fire to these plastic wheely bins is a favourite sport in our towns now,never mind, they just order more from Germany where they all seem to be made, still,tiz safer than lettin the feckers build Tanks I suppose :E

er340790
26th Mar 2008, 16:06
And on that note, whenever you get a cold-selling phone call, rather than slamming down the phone or hurling a tirade of abuse at them, just do the following:

'Yes, yes, I'm very interested. Please tell me more....' Then leave the phone on the table while they babble on for five to ten minutes (sometimes longer!) before realising that you're not there.... deeply therapeutic.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Mar 2008, 21:07
Oh, and Gertrude, you couldn't be more of a caricature of an obnoxious, pompous, holier-than-thou politician if you tried.
And you couldn't be more of a caricature of a Daily Mail reader if you tried.

Live and let live, it takes all sorts, I don't come here often. Bye for now, might look in again later in the year.