PDA

View Full Version : Moving North/Fresh CPL jobs

BUSH PILOT
22nd Mar 2008, 07:24
Hi all, I know everyone here is probably sick to death of threads about heading up north, but I just had to ask,
-What time of year is it that everyone makes the trip up to try and get lucky? (I think it's around this time isn't it?)
-Why does everyone seem to go now/then/whenever it is?
-And, does it matter if you don't go until a month or two later? Do you still have a chance or have you missed the boat and have to wait until next season or try somewhere else?

Am just curious as I'm just a flight test away from my CPL, but want to do MECIR before I head off, unless it would be wiser to just go and try and get a job first, and then do the mecir???

Thanks in advance, BP:ok:

weezythef
22nd Mar 2008, 07:51
yeh now is pretty much the time to head up there although you would've been better of a month back or so.If your not up there for th dry season then your chances are a third as good as they would be in the dry.Since you still haven't got your MECIR, why not Instruct?and get the IR before the next dry.That way you'll increase your chances of gettin a gig and maybe even a twin straight away.

ForkTailedDrKiller
22nd Mar 2008, 07:53
What time of year is it that everyone makes the trip up to try and get lucky?

BP, getting a job up north and "getting lucky" are two quite separate, unrelated, and some might argue mutually exclusive things!

Dr :8

BUSH PILOT
26th Mar 2008, 10:34
Howdy, thanks for the advice, some of it anyway, I did already know some planes have external exhaust pipes, but I don't expect to walk straight onto a job with one:E:=
Having talked to some others, I'm still as confused as ever, however, I would appreciate peoples opinions on how late is too late to head north?
Some say if you're not there at the very start of the dry season you wont have much luck, however others also say they'll take you almost anytime as there is an almost continuous turnover of pilots??
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and will hopefully help sort out a confused aviator:ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Mar 2008, 11:05
BUSH PILOT, if you want it you gotta go after it! One thing is for sure - if a gig comes up and you are not there, ya got no hope!

If you are serious (and not just a dreamer), fire up the go-kart, get up there and make yourself known in person to the operators.

Dr :8

world traveler
26th Mar 2008, 12:30
As a fellow freshy thats been here for a month, i can tell you first hand that there are jobs up here in Darwin... Well not actually Darwin. What you will find is that most of the companies will shoot you out to a communtity for a start. Its almost like an initiation. Just deal with it and you will be fine. It seems that most companies are prefering you to have your IFR as they are generally all short and are looking to be able to get you up to IFR flights (could be SE IFR freight or if you are blessed and very lucky, twins) once you have proved yourself. With that said it's not critical to have the IFR - Get a job and then do the IFR as a Tax deduction later!

I stress to you that you need to look at the other threads to see which companies are good and which ones are to avoid... Like the one that has reportedly lost over 10 pilots in the past 2-3 weeks :=. NO matter who you end up with, know your airlaw and know it well!

I hope that this helps, and does not open a can of worms for people to start company bashing. I am just calling it as i see it as a new kid on the block.

Oh, and pack Vicks Vapour Rub, after the first flight you do, you will know why and where to put it!!!! Lets just say..... It smells good and leave it at that :ok: