PDA

View Full Version : Rex Cadetship Testing and Interview Process

crekya1
22nd Mar 2008, 04:08
Hi there. I am after some information regarding the Rex Cadetship.

This is directed to anyone who has had recent experience with the process and anyone who has been through an interview, testing or actually been successful in getting the cadetship.

What is involved in the process? Any tips on preperation for the interview?
Any other news or information will be appreciated...thankyou

QF2
22nd Mar 2008, 12:14
Just the usual for the interviews. Rex knowledge (bases, routes, aircraft types (incl. Saab 340 specs), Rex history, names of important people in the company). Have a look at Wikipedia, it is a good starting point for this information. Also, if you go to www.rex.com.au, you can click on the locations to see the route structure (but the routes are also listed in Wiki). Also, be able to answer questions like 'why do you want to fly for Rex?'

Next, do you have flying experience? If so, they will ask you some questions for things you may have covered so far (like stuff from PPL theory, CPL, etc wherever you're up to) so you should probably brush up on the main things they could ask in relation to this- different sorts of drag, explain lift, four stroke cycle, etc. A lot of people don't answer these basic questions very well, so have a good read up on all your theory to be ready.

Also, be ready for them to ask you about your favourite aircraft (and be prepared to answer questions related to its range, cruising alt, capacity, max takeoff weight, speed, etc). It's probably better if you say something like Saab 340 for favourite aircraft type than B744 because they don't want you leaving in a few years to fly a jet, but all the same it won't look good if you don't look convincing telling them that, coz not many people would say the Saab 340 is their favourite aircraft!

Other things to prepare for are behavioural questions - tell us about a time you had to lead a group, tell us about a time you had to resolve conflict, have you ever encouraged someone? etc etc.

From what I've heard, the first interview was with the Chief Pilot, followed by a second interview with a person from People Relations and someone else. Remember, they are addressing a pilot shortage, so they are looking for people who will be loyal to the company and stay with it for an extended period of time, not someone who looks like they'll go after a jet job after getting a couple of thousand hours of experience.

I'm sure there is a lot that I have missed, but other people will be able to share this info, so hopefully now you have a good starting point.

David Spart
23rd Mar 2008, 04:32
Pretty much what QF2 said. I poured out every obscure detail on the saab 340 I could find and I was successful. Also you should make sure that you know a lot about aircraft and more specifically aerodynamics. That is what causes lift, types of drag (form, parasite, skin and induced) just that kind of stuff. You will do fine if you have a good knowledge of aircraft. Also there is the wombat test which is tricky but straight forward. Goodluck.

Tibbsy
24th Mar 2008, 03:57
Also there is the wombat test which is tricky but straight forward.

OK I'll bite... What is the Wombat test?:sad:

kalavo
24th Mar 2008, 04:22
Wombat Test = http://www.aero.ca/e_main.html

The funky new version of the RAAF's old test where you had to keep a light on the centre of a screen.

There's a hole heap of different scenarios they can use. e.g. press which light came on, press which light came on one light ago, press which light came on two lights ago. Keep a crosshair centred on a dot while answering maths problems. Keep a crosshair centred on the screen - left hand ailerons, right hand elevator, when you hear a beep left hand is elevator, right hand is ailerons. Keep two crosshairs centred on a dot on the screen, left hand controls left crosshair, right hand controls right crosshair.

Goes from anywhere from an hour to 2.5hrs (most people usually keep it 1-1.5 hours though as the results dont vary too much after the first half hour... people resitting it will usually do as well as they did after the first 30mins, but no better). Each "game" lasts about 2-3 minutes. :) It's claimed there's not a lot you can do to improve your performance, and there's no difference between different nationalities (however there is a trend of males performing slightly better than females).

All the "games" are designed to predict your performance in operating a complex piece of equipment (ie passing flying training and getting to the Left Seat). They attempt to improve the results by breaking it down in to two groups "false positives" (people who do better in the test than the flying training) and "false negatives" (people who would have done well in flying training, but the computer said leave them behind). None of the tests predict motivation, determination and persistence and that's where a good interviewer comes in to the equation, but it has to be a balance - you can't put too much emphasis on WOMBAT, just as you cant put too much emphasis on the interviewer.

Does it work? It depends who you talk to. The RAAF was placing a fairly large emphasis on it for a while and claiming those who got in the top 4% in the test often went on to make fantastic fighter pilots. But, they also had a large number in the top 4% who didn't make it as far as Pearce. Last I heard the scrub rate was still around 50% at Tamworth and a similar percentage at Pearce, so it's obviously not fantastic, but if its the system in place, then you gotta play the game to get the job.

KRUSTY 34
24th Mar 2008, 05:39
I'm sorry,

REX are bleeding crew that they cannot replace, and part of their answer is a Wombat test!!! What a load of Crap! No, ammend that, Delusional Crap!

The lunatics really are in charge of the assylum!

KRUSTY 34
24th Mar 2008, 11:53
Gidday landof4x.

I'm afraid the train keeps heading for the bridge, and it's out! Two very senior check and trainers that I'm aware of in the last week alone. Both thorough gentlemen. One a very experienced and highly qualified simulator instructor. The other, a long serving Check captain with impecable credentials. There could be more, so I'll check my sources.

I honestly don't know what else can be said. In the current environment these men are virtually impossible to replace. Sadly, they are not the first, and they will not be the last. I have heard that the remainder of the Check and Training staff are wrestling with the demands of their duties, and the lack of action from management with regard to the retention of experienced pilots. Once these people have gone, (and don't think for one minute that it will not happen) then it will be all over.

crekya 1.

As the initiator of this thread, please accept my appologies for the drift. It's a sad fact that a lot of the REX threads turn negative. The reason for this is because of the frustration at seeing a once fantastic company heading for obvious disaster. The disaster can be avoided, but time is running out. My original reply did in fact relate to the cadetship and interview process, but wombat testing or not, it may all become a little academic if there are no people left to train em'.

crekya1
26th Mar 2008, 00:21
thanks for all your help guys appreciate it! I am going to give it some more thought and make a decision in the near future...any more information will be appreciated..thanks