PDA

View Full Version : Could really do with some good advice and opinions

r-41157
21st Mar 2008, 22:36
Hi,

After a lot of consideration I have come to some conclusions and I would like to know what some more experienced pilots/trainee pilots think to them.

I am at uni at the moment doing an Advertising course which is all CWK and no exams. I have recently ended up in a situation where I could potentially leave uni and follow my dream to become a pilot but I need to decide which route is the best to take. After looking at UK training and training abroad I have decided that I either leave uni, up-root and try and secure a place on either the OAA or Cabair full time courses.

The other option I am thinking of is staying at uni and completeing the Bristol GS distance course over the space of my final 2 years at uni - studying a module a year and sitting my exams around June/July when I have finnished at uni. This would leave me with a degree and the theory of my ATPL completed. So technically I would have a back up plan. I would then go and do my flight training either abroad for a year or in the uk.

What do you all think of this plan? Am i crazy to try and fit the studying for the ATPL around my degree? Should I just leave uni and go to OAA or Cabair or even abroad.

Along with the opinions, i need a couple of answers to questions . . . can you do BGS over 2 years as apposed to about a year? And is there anywhere in the UK or America/Australia where I could go and do my flight training full time as apposed to having to do it at alot of different air fields? If someone could explain this to me that would be great! :) And does anyone think I would secure a loan to complete all the flight training?

Sorry for the lengthy post but I have some big decisions to make and want to be as best informed as I can be!

Many thanks in advance! :ok:

BerksFlyer
21st Mar 2008, 22:49
You couldn't do ATPL theory and a degree at the same time. Also, I think a lot of places require a PPL to start the ATPL theory, but I'm not certain.

In the current situation, unless you have a house to secure the loan under, I think it would be very unlikely to secure a loan of the amounts needed.

Whirlygig
21st Mar 2008, 23:08
Concur that you would struggle to complete a degree and pass ATPL exams at the same time. The timescale I believe to complete the ATPL exams is 18 months from the date of passing the first exam. So yes, you could take two years as long as you don't sit the first exams too early.

It is a requirement that you must hold an ICAO PPL before you enrol on a modular ATPL course.

You can train in which ever country you wish as long as you can obtain the appropriate visas. Also, if you obtain a foreign qualification, would you have the right to work in that country? If you want a JAA fATPL, then you need to make sure that the training establishment (USA etc) can do JAA licences.

Cheers

Whirls

r-41157
21st Mar 2008, 23:42
cheers guys!

So I would have to go and do a PPL course before even starting with bristolGD? Diddn't realise that.

If anyone else could throw some advice out there, please do!:ok:

matt_hooks
22nd Mar 2008, 00:50
Not going to go into the "modular versus integrated" argument, that's been done to death over and over again on here, have a search and see what people say.

As for doing ATPL theory and degree at the same time, well, let's say I wouldn't recommend it.

Modular will work out cheaper, though it might take a little longer. And completing the degree is definitely a good option.

But above all, do your research, choose which option you are going to go for and then GO FOR IT! Don't let any naysayers on here put you off, I'm sure if they search their souls they'll remember a time when they had that same passion for flying which drives us to spend unfeasibly large amounts of time and money getting those few bits of paper.

Good luck!

Matt

r-41157
22nd Mar 2008, 01:37
cheers matt!

I dont want to get into that debate either and ive only been reading this forum a couple of days!!

I was just taking a closer look at CTC Wings - Am i wrong to get the feeling that the ATP Cadets are favoured over those self-funding their training, and what exactly happens after you have self funded your training, are you then just put through the air crew courses and helped to get a job???

Im going to look at a few more integrated courses I think, I have a couple of months before any final decision has to be made so I have time to go to some open days etc and get more advice off you lot on here! :ok:

r-41157
22nd Mar 2008, 12:20
where is the best place to buy good ATPL books from? I would be very interested in starting to read them to get myself a little more prepared for when I start my training!

matt_hooks
22nd Mar 2008, 12:42
The best ones are the ones that come with an approved course. You can always buy the Bristol DVD's, they work well for some, not for others.

Other than that, a quick google will, I'm sure, bring up many potential sources for these.

I know that Jeppesen do a set, not sure how expensive they are, or how good they are. Anyone having direct knowledge of the Jepp books care to comment?

clunk1001
22nd Mar 2008, 12:47
Id suggest the Bristol Ground School CD. It contains all ATPL material and is excellent.

http://www.bristol.gs/groundschool/main.aspx
Under "Prices and Dates" you'll find the CD for £490

I'd recommend this over books because of the search facility, there are so many terms and abreviations to remember this really helps.

Joffyh
22nd Mar 2008, 13:17
R-41157 as you say my final 2 years at uni are you in your first or second year?

I started Uni. last September and left at Christmas as I really didn't know what I was doing there and I couldn't justify the time and money needed to complete a 4 year degree. Having left I'm now applying for integrated courses and will hopefully go to OAA at the end of this year (failed Compass by one mark so doing it again in May). I've also applied for seasonal contract work at my local airport for the summer, so I can get some "life experience".

Becoming a pilot has always been what I've wanted to do and so I just decided to go for it. I had only completed a small part of my degree and so leaving after several months didn't feel like a waste of the time and money I had already put in, if you're into your second year then you may feel differently. Basically if you know you definitely want to do your training and have the support of your family then go for it...if you have any doubts about whether this is what you really want to do then I'd say it's worthwhile getting a degree under your belt.

r-41157
22nd Mar 2008, 13:43
Im about 6 weeks from finnishing my first year. I love advertising as well as flying but the course I am on is terrible compared to a lot - it was a last minute decision in september as I wanted out of a recruitment job i was in. I could stay for the last two years while reading up on aviation and the ATPL and researching schools etc. At the moment my options really are open.

If I was to complete an assessment weekend at say Cabair, OAA and CTC would and be successful, could I then potentially choose which school I wanted to train with and accept an offer onto a course starting after my degree, or would I have to do the assessments the summer I graduate and go on a course within the next couple of months?

Thanks again guys!

Joffyh
22nd Mar 2008, 18:02
I don't know about Cabair/CTC but with Oxford your assessment is valid for one year from the date it's first taken so you wouldn't be able to apply now. Oxford start a course once a month, Cabair once every other month, CTC...again not sure. You could have an offer from all 4 integrated schools, you just pick the one most suited to you

PPRuNeUser0165
23rd Mar 2008, 19:48
There are alot of options available to you, i was in a similar situation to your self. I was studying law at uni in the 2nd year, i decided to first go to what was oat and do the assessment, if you cant pass that you cant start training with them. When i passed a finished my second year, this left me with the option to then go back and complete the third year in my own time after i have qualified, i have 5 years in order to do this. I don't know how much you have looked into the courses, but oaa now do a foundtion degree with the course which, after all the training gives you the same as two years at uni with again the option of doing a third when qualified. Im now just about to go back to oaa after completing phase 1 ground school and are loving every minute of it, cannot recomend it enough, get a look around the place and sit your skills assessment first would be my plan, you obviously are not happy at uni just like myself so wasting any more time there is a waste of time and money. Good luck mate, if you need anymore advice don't hesitate to pm me.
Safe flying:ok:

buckrogers
23rd Mar 2008, 21:11
I don't want to add a lot to the debate but I went through a similar exercise to yourself some 20 years ago. I gained my PPL at the age of 16. After much debate and a lack of money I went to university and took a BSc in Geology. Like yourself I was torn between aviation and a career using my degree. As it turned out the degree has been a life saver. Some 12 years ago when I finally became an instructor the aviation industry cratered where I was living and I had to go back to using my degree. Assuming you are in your twenties I would not worry too much and finish your degree. Aviation is a cyclical industry and having a second string to your bow can only be beneficial. Some airlines also like degrees. I would also be weary as the US economy wavers and oil is likely to continue to rise in price over few years.

r-41157
24th Mar 2008, 00:33
Cheers for some more great advise there guys!

I am seriously considering getting my degree, and during my next two years obtain my PPL and then go onto an integrated course once I finnish uni. I would still only be 24 when i would finnish the training, leaving me still young to get stuck into my career, especially when you consider that doctors and the like dont usually quialify until they are around 25 etc.

I have also sent an application off to CTC Wings to see what happens.

I am thinking get my PPL through the 2nd year and the summer, then in the 3rd year apply to OAA, CTC and Cabair and do all the assessments and make an informed decision from there. Then I can choose to start my course in the July or August of 2010 which would leave me in good stead to get good weather for training with OAA! And I could try and do something with the bank to get my a better credit rating to obtain a loan!

Would any of the OAA airline cadet programmes consider me with a degree in advertising but no maths or physics a levels?! :ok:

What do people think of this plan?? Basically 4 years before I am qualified and hold a degree . . .

AND does the integrated course at OAA take on students with a PPL and is it clever to get into £15K worth of debt through uni?! I could ready this on the OAA website but Im feeling lazy! Cheers

r-41157
24th Mar 2008, 12:31
Can anyone recommend a good PPL school in the Manchester/Liverpool??

Thanks again guys! :ok:

maxdrypower
24th Mar 2008, 13:29
Seeing as searching is clearly beyond you :ugh:
http://www.flightsandlessons.com/
http://www.lacflyingschool.co.uk/
http://www.ravenair.co.uk/
They are a few im sure if oyu try putting flying school into the internet youll come up with a few more

r-41157
24th Mar 2008, 15:26
No, im quite capable of searching but thought people on here might be able to recommend places they have actually trained at instead of finding random schools that may be rubbish. Thank you for the suggestions though!

Joffyh
24th Mar 2008, 16:56
If you've decided to complete an integrated course can I ask why you're considering getting your PPL?