PDA

View Full Version : Scotland to get Superpower status....well sort of

Krystal n chips
21st Mar 2008, 10:21
Yes, I know the last thread on the er, politician in question, was closed, but this one does rather take the biscuit.....it could simply be he's an avid reader of the Mel Gibson "school of historical interpretation".....there again....anyway, and without this developing into a slanging match......the portents for Scotland could be huge here....gives a whole new meaning to the term "special alliance" as well. :p:E

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/21/johnmccain.uselections2008

rab-k
21st Mar 2008, 10:30
LOL! :rolleyes:

I suspect if you shoved a map under his nose and asked him to point out the land of his ancestors, he'd probably opt for that "roundish looking island, mid-way between England and Greenland". (A genuine response I received from a fellow citizen of Mr McCain).

ORAC
21st Mar 2008, 10:31
Won't help him win the election though. :=

Everyone knows all American presidents have Irish ancestry, like Obama (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,269836,00.html)... :rolleyes:

tony draper
21st Mar 2008, 11:03
That far back prolly everybody living north of the Humber now is prolly distantly related to Robert the Bruce,anyway he's not a ancestor to be that proud of,he were a bit of a telly tale sneak, he phoned Longshanks and told him where Wallace was hiding.
:uhoh:

rotornut
21st Mar 2008, 17:02
I'm related to the Earl of Warwick - at least that's what my mother always told me although I haven't been invited to his castle yet!:(

airship
21st Mar 2008, 17:38
Forget, all about the ballistic missile submarines sitting quietly under the kelp in the world's oceans. Bewarrrrrre of what is under the kilt?! (Spoken in a suitably long-drawn Scots accent - the corporal in Dad's Army anyone...?!) :ok:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
21st Mar 2008, 20:56
Ironically, there was one, maybe even two, episodes where he WAS the corporal.

airship
21st Mar 2008, 21:10
Darn! The Scotsman I was thinking of was the private James Frazer...

I could have sworrrrrnnnn that he was at least a corporal. The Scots are probably well over-rated anyway, even in BBC comedies...?! :ok::uhoh:

SOTV
21st Mar 2008, 21:36
Being an interloper and living very close to the cave where Bruce allegedly had an eye to eye with a spider I can without doubt say that the local inhabitants are the most disagreeable people you can hope to meet. (Think Royston Vasey without the humour.)

Is it the close proximity to England that makes them have the little Saltire on their number plates or just a feeling of insecurity? Carlisle people are little better with small St George crosses on theirs.

Lovely place to live, up on a hillside farm, but the racist behavior of the locals requires one to have a rather thick skin.

:mad:

Beatriz Fontana
21st Mar 2008, 21:55
Drapes,

As I descend from North of the Humber, I can categorically state I have no Scottish blood in me (a lot of Sheffield, Cornish and Spanish, apparently)...

Didn't Clinton claim Irish roots at one point? And does the McCain link to Scotland explain his recent visit to see the dear leader (in my opinion) Gordon Brown earlier in the week?

As a severe thread drift, I note that Scotland is thinking of raising the legal drinking age to 21 - will that mean the English border towns being overrun with late-teen, early-twenties types from across the border? And who will check them on return?

Two's in
21st Mar 2008, 23:14
It's not true. I checked John McCain's passport records the other day and there was no trace of Scottish ancestry. Fairly sure nobody noticed I'd been in there.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 00:01
Thats a unusual blood mix Madam Fontana most of the Spaniards from the Armada who managed to swim ashore and fetched up in Cornwall were instantly killed and eaten by the Cornishmen.
:)

Avitor
22nd Mar 2008, 00:59
I went to Cornwall on business, the temporary office, in Bodmin Castle was adorned with drawings of young ladies. The plaster at certain parts of their anatomy had been gouged out, to be filled with cotton wool, soaked in 'coloured' ink.
I took great care, Tony, to not look Spanish and left Cornwall at the earliest opportunity. :}

shedhead
22nd Mar 2008, 10:02
being Ayrshire born and having returned here to work recently after a forty year absence I have to say that I have not come across any anti English prejudice (yet!)and this is with a very English accent, I have been asked which part of England I come from and find the reaction to my reply of "Auchinleck" pretty amusing!
On the subject of Scottish genealogy though.I share the same surname as the baddie in Rob Roy(the earl of Montrose)and my middle name (in the scots tradition)is also a surname, played in a film by a Mr Gibson as I recall, however I am absolutely certain that there is no direct blood link from me to either of those historical characters.

BarbiesBoyfriend
22nd Mar 2008, 10:13
SOTV

That's a shame! Where are you originally from then?

Have you thought about moving to Glasgow? They are very friendly there

I take it you're living up the west coast somewhere?

regards;)

Beatriz Fontana
22nd Mar 2008, 10:33
Drapes,

The Cornish do love their myths and legends...! I certainly haven't inherited the ability to eat Spaniards. Not a whole one, anyway... :O

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 11:00
As to the nobility of one's own blood line one shall say naught,cept that being a Munro on one's mothers side one is allowed to take the piss out of both sets of my countrymen without fear or favor.
:rolleyes:

Dan D'air
22nd Mar 2008, 12:48
I certainly haven't inherited the ability to eat Spaniards.

Ooh Beatriz, Fnarr fnarr.................

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 13:04
Are Spaniards very big then, because I can usually manage a whole Cornetto without difficulty? I do start by just licking the top but eventually swallow the remainder whole before it gets too messy... :ok:

Beatriz Fontana
22nd Mar 2008, 17:20
airship,

Cornetto? When one has been brought up on Cornish clotted cream ice cream, Cornettos are a doddle...

pineridge
22nd Mar 2008, 17:30
Tony Draper said " most of the Spaniards from the Armada who managed to swim ashore and fetched up in Cornwall were instantly killed and eaten by the Cornishmen."

There is also a theory that some of the ships were blown up the North Sea and made land fall on the Lofoten Islands, where they were subsequently eaten.

S'land
23rd Mar 2008, 13:34
Yeah well, in the Lofoten Islands they got big appetites. They are able to eat a whole ship. :rolleyes: