PDA

View Full Version : Al Painter

Blue Helmet
20th Mar 2008, 22:44
Unfortunately Alan Painter (ex RAF QFI, Vulcan pilot and one time chief flying instructor of the Vulcan OCU) has recently passed away. He spend many years on Britannia, Air Malta and Easyjet after leaving the RAF. He was lately flying the Jet Provosts with Swords Aviation at North Weald.

To any of you old timers who may know him and wish to attend his funeral will take place at 1200 on 1st April at Luton Crematorium. His partner Priscilla has insisted it is an open invitation to any of his aviation friends. There will be drinks afterward at a venue to be confirmed.

Vulcan News
28th Mar 2008, 21:49
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Alan was a great guy and we at the Vulcan Restoration Trust will miss him dearly; his advice, historical and technical knowledge were second to none and his warmth and kindness will be sorely missed. I well remember the day when he taxied the Vulcan at Southend for the first time, ably assisted by Frederick Forsyth (yes, 'im) in the right hand seat. He also took me up in the JP Mk 52 from North Weald for a birthday present on my 40th some time back - a rare treat for a civvie like myself.

He faced his illness with extraordinary courage and dignity and I will be dedicating the August issue of our magazine, Vulcan News, to his memory. Blue skies, Al.

noddy737
19th Apr 2008, 11:15
Alan Painter was indeed a professional pilot and a true gentleman. His ex-colleagues at Air Malta will definitely miss him, and although we heard that he was still highly involved with the Vulcan at Southend, we did not know he was ill. Would have loved to attend his last farewell but only came to know of his loss today. Would anyone still in contact with his partner pass on our condolences.

Farewell Alan

Captain Norman D'Amato
ex-Chief Pilot Boeing at Air Malta

Nerik
19th Apr 2008, 12:18
A true gentleman and a very good instructor. I had the pleasure of flying with him on many occasions when I joined Air Malta as a cadet in 1996 and he carried out my 80hr route. I will always remember one night flight when he dimmed all lights in the cockpit and proceeded to give me a detailed explanation of all the stars, constellations etc. that magically appeared above us. RIP Alan.

Jetset320
19th Apr 2008, 13:52
Had the pleasure of knowing Alan during the few years he spent at Air Malta back in the 90s. Very professional and a really pleasant guy to fly with are my memories of him. RIP

adamh
10th Jun 2008, 09:30
Very sad news. I flew with him in the JP over at North Weald, it wasn't until recently that I found out about his involvement with the Vulcan. He led a very impressive life. He was inspiring and a gentleman to boot.

Farewell.

Adam.