PDA

View Full Version : Medical question

isi3000
20th Mar 2008, 19:00
I have for a few years now suffered from inconvenient nosebleeds (e.g. in summer, occasionally sitting in the middle of a lesson). I was hoping to get class one medical in a few months and wondered if I would have to report this? Also wanted to know if anyone had had cauterisation for a similar problem and if it ended up being long/short term solution

Thanks, Izzy

gingernut
20th Mar 2008, 21:58
I guess everyone at some stage has suffered a nosebleed. (Epistaxis). The point at which it becomes a significant medical problem will depend very much on the severity, duration and the frequency of the problem.

Serious underlying causes are rare, it may be worth having a chat with your GP about your symptoms if you are worried- he should be able to rule out any nasties pretty quickly.

Common causes include nose picking, minor local infection, hay fever and common colds, and are usually treated simply.

The first line of attack for simple nose bleeds is the application of a simple antibiotic cream 4 times a day. Cautery is usually reserved for persistent cases nowadays.

Should you report it? I guess if your symptoms are over and above that of Joe Average, then yes you probably should.
Nosebleeds which havn't responded to first aid measures after 20 minutes should be treated as a medical emergency.

isi3000
20th Mar 2008, 22:08
The famous Gingernut ;), thanks for the reply. Well mine can be classified as medical emergencies then :sad:. Usually around 25-30 mins. Saw GP about it and they took blood tests and such but could only offer weak blood vessels as the cause. Suggested cauterisation but did not give me a lot of information. I did hear that this works for some and not for others...

gingernut
20th Mar 2008, 22:39
Alas young fellow, famous only in my own mind and amongst certain nurses frequenting the "Conti" club, Manchester, circa 1980.

Cautery is probably a last resort, reserved for frequent intense nosebleeds, I can't find any details on relapse rates, but here's a starting point http://www.nyp.org/health/epistaxis.html

Happy flying fellow aviator:)

isi3000
20th Mar 2008, 22:47
Thanks very much for the help :ok:

Wilton Shagpile
24th Mar 2008, 15:23
Hi I suffered from regular nosebleeds as a kid and went for the cauterisation procedure. It was a tad uncomfortable but did the trick and I don't think I have had one since (many years later).

I am sure the approach to treatment has changed now but people's noses are the same now as they were when I was a nipper......

Lost_luggage34
24th Mar 2008, 16:14
I suffered from various allergies as a teenager - nothing ever identified as the cause, and something which thankfully I grew out of.

A side effect of having very irritated nasal linings as the time was frequent nosebleeds.

I had cauterisation done over twenty years ago as part of a nose and sinus operation.

It did the trick - never had a problem since.

I would not rule out that procedure - I was lucky to have had it carried out under general anathestic. But I believe cauteristaion on its own is relatively pain free.

I suggest you push your GP to refer you to a decent ENT Consultant.

Your symptoms suggest that it's fairly out of the range of what a GP can do for you.

Mac the Knife
24th Mar 2008, 17:58
Hmmmm.

Most nosebleeds are from Little's area, low down on the anterior septum, which is very vascular.

Properly done, cauterisation solves the problem (rarely it may need to be repeated, usually only once). Did lots of 'em in my ENT days.

Badly done (as some GPs did it 20 years ago) it can produce stenosis, synechiae and nasty scarring - but really, if you have it done by a good ENT bod you have nothing to fear.

:ok:

Mac

PS: Of course nosebleeds can be an indicator or blood dyscrasias, nasopharyngeal cancer and whatnot, but if I look out of the window I'm more likely to see a sparrow than a canary.

isi3000
24th Mar 2008, 18:14
stenosis, synechiae and nasty scarring
blood dyscrasias, nasopharyngeal cancer and whatnot

I think I'll just hide myself away...:{