PDA

View Full Version : Yay - we have our fence

phnuff
20th Mar 2008, 17:02
Long time members may recall me asking if anyone had any advice about getting our neighbour to honour their obligation and repair our dividing fence. Well, at long last, it has happened. The old boy who lived there died, his son inherited the house and he his wife and 4 cats moved in. We had about 9 months of arguing including the son saying

"Yes, ok the deeds say the fence to the East is (his) responsibility, but is that East looking from the front or the back?" !!

So, what did the trick? Enter stage right Beanie, a 6 month old Border Terrier who has joined our family. Beanie is a good little guy, always poos and wees outside and best of all, hates cats. About 2 weeks ago, Phnufflet took said Beanie out into the garden on his lead to 'perform' when, mid performance, Beanie spies one of the cats in our garden. Beanie then sets off after the cat catching phnufflet by surprise who drops the lead leaving Beanie free. He heads through the absent fence and traps cat against the wall. Neighbour's wife who was outside having a fag, screams and rushes towards the two animals and managed to pick up the scratching cat and takes it indoors. (Border Terrorists are apparently noted for actually knowing what to do with cats when they catch them). Neither of them spoke to any of us for days . . . . then 10 days later, fence appears.
Beanie - the best £400 I have ever spent (and a lot cheaper than the fence):ok:!!

haughtney1
20th Mar 2008, 17:10
Ahhhhhh "natural" justice at its best :ok:

Sailor Vee
20th Mar 2008, 19:06
"Yes, ok the deeds say the fence to the East is (his) responsibility, but is that East looking from the front or the back?" !!Does this guy have tattoos on his fingers saying 'right and left'? (or rite and left?).

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 19:24
Always puzzled me how even a tiny Pup knows when you go "Pss! psst! Psst"!! it means Cat, and the Pup leaps about in a appropriate Dog looking for Mog manner,even if they have never seen a Cat ,the war betwixt Mog and Dog must have been going one since the dawn of time for it to be engrained that deep in collective Dog memory.
:rolleyes:

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 19:25
Any chance of borrowing Beanie for a few days?

Keef
20th Mar 2008, 21:28
Definitely could do with renting Beanie!

G-CPTN
21st Mar 2008, 01:55
Always puzzled me how even a tiny Pup knows when you go "Pss! psst! Psst"!! it means Cat, and the Pup leaps about in a appropriate Dog looking for Mog manner,even if they have never seen a Cat ,the war betwixt Mog and Dog must have been going one since the dawn of time for it to be engrained that deep in collective Dog memory.I think it only applies to terriers, FSL. We (my parents) used to breed 'Scotties' (Aberdeen terriers) and they were all programmed to react instantly to the sight (or sound) of catsss and would sustain the chase to completion, however, later I owned a Bassethound and she was completely indifferent to felines (as was my Mother's Dachshund). Wife came with a ShiTzu terrier, and he was a cat-chaser (even with one eye - he'd lost one in a 'fight' with a Labrador, or more precisely when the Labrador mistook him for a cat). Yon ShiTzu was the only dog that I've never been able to control - one word from me and he would do as he liked. He howled at night when left alone - I fixed-up a tea-chest with a wire-netting 'door' and he slept outside in the (detached) garage ever afterwards (I'd tried cajoling right through to beating him with a slipper - all to no avail - he still howled).

Islander Jock
21st Mar 2008, 02:02
Had an Australian Cattle Dog (red heeler) a few years back who would go absolutely ballistic on the word "cat". :ok: She liked them really but could never eat a whole one.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 07:10
My father in law has often told the tale of a terrier his father had, many years ago. It used to bring cats home to play with....in its jaws. :uhoh:

After he got married, he never kept dogs and he's not keen on ours, although she doesn't mind cats, unless they sit on our garden fence, when she barks. If they're at ground level she wags her tail and lets them be.

Our garden used to be the local cats' toilet - no sooner had we dug over a flower or veggie bed than they were scratching in there. Now they go elsewhere. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
21st Mar 2008, 07:43
Unfortunately our terrier takes things to extremes. Fences? What fences?

Visiting friends far from home for first time terrier is in walled garden, at night, does 3 scalextrix trips round the garden in about 20 seconds looking at wrought iron gat eon each pass.

Last pass, what gate?

Black dog, dark night, poor lighting, and strange neighbourhood.

I am well outpaced so return for help. Friend plus Mrs PN and a TocH Lamp go looking. Suddenly spot dark shape moving in shrubbery. It is of course a cat moving at speed.

Then spot black shadow also at speed. Not the dog you understand, just the shadow on the wall.

Into the next part of the estate.

We now have the dog trapped (yeah).

Two other dog walkers, couple of stray neighbours, taxi, and dog bouncing off houses either side of the road and into their gardens.

Eventually the dog runs right passed me with a quick body swerve. Gallant neighbour manages a rugby tackle, on something smaller than a rugby ball, and the cats escape.

Now, when we go there all the cats take for the high ground.

hellsbrink
21st Mar 2008, 08:05
Never seen a terrier that didn't take things to extremes. Put up 4' fence to keep last Jack Rat in back yard. It didn't work, he cleared it chasing a cat.

Radar66
21st Mar 2008, 09:28
Throughout my entire life I've always been surrounded by a various assortment of Labradors and Shi'Tzus (at one time mother had nine of the bloody minded things - looked like a low flying carpet moving behind her wherever she went in the grounds.... :)).

ALL of them, without exception, would rise in a howling barking manical frenzy at the first 'pssssst' noise....

and the Shi'Tzus were oft the best gun dogs also - Mother used to shoot the rabbits from my 3rd floor bedroom window with a .22, the dogs located mainly just inside the back door yowling and scrabbling with the occasional over excited scout sent upstairs to see if she's finished or not, making it rather hard to hear Mother's 'I've finished' call before opening said portal.

More oft than not the fluffy wee toy doggies ones would retrieve the rabbits before the labs - bit of a sore point at the best of times.... :E

I barely knew what a cat looked like until i was oooh in my early teens!!

tony draper
21st Mar 2008, 09:30
SWH is the smallest Jackie we have had and the only that can get over the front wall,he started leaping up and hanging on to the top with his front paws in order to see over the top, there he would hang his arse two foot from the ground peering about for mogs or peeps to bark at then one day in the throws of Moggy chasing lust he started scrabbling his back legs up and over he went.
:uhoh:

forget
21st Mar 2008, 10:32
Speaking of which - years ago I was traveling in a far country and visited the local zoo. It had only one animal, a dog. It was a shit zoo.

Radar66
21st Mar 2008, 10:45
heh forget, the old ones are the best!!

now.... a dog thread about to go onto two pages...... where's Fos? :confused:

rauxaman
21st Mar 2008, 10:52
>>>Does this guy have tattoos on his fingers saying 'right and left'? (or rite and left?)<<<

Probably and his missus has a C&A label in her knickers ;)

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 10:57
Our previous dog was a spaniel/collie/retriever cross. We moved into a new house with a wire fence. He could squeeze through the wires into the neighbour's garden.

I bought a big roll of fencing wire and spent three days adding extra wires, dividing the square holes into four. He followed me around all the time I was working on it, never tried to go through the fence once.

I finally stood up at the end of the third day, job done, but my fingers cut to ribbons and my back aching.

The dog took one look at me and jumped clean over, from a standing start.

Dog = :E :p

Me = :eek: :ugh: :{

Foss
21st Mar 2008, 11:17
Well I usually only see cats as a white blur shooting past the patio doors followed alarmingly closely by Idiot the mighty hunter/killer at full tilt.
Then you have to do the 'Oh, Jesus the dog's going to get that' drill.
Tea slammed down on table, one step to the patio doors, three steps down taken as one, 'YOU, YES YOU STOOOPP!'
White blur tries to make it to safety by running into gorse/undergrowth.
This is bad news.
'YOU, HERE!'
Idiot: 'la la la, I can't hear you, la la.'
Glorious hunter killer runs into the gorse like a speeding bullet. Idiot has now gone tactical.
If it's dark or dusk, this means Idiot is now invisible so I am reduced to trying to use my periperal vision to see if I can see any movement in the dark (read somewhere there's better night vision if you do that, probably rubbish.)
Much thrashing of bushes for a minute or two.

The Idiot silently reappears, usually from behind and stands next to my leg at her version of heel.
'How do sneak up on me like that, I've got a bloody torch, I'm going to get a bell or a large boulder and tie it round your neck, INSIDE.'
fos

airship
21st Mar 2008, 17:24
Dog owner #1: "My dog's bigger than yours..."
Dog owner #2: "He's just having a bit of fun. So who cares if does get the blighter (cat/hedgehog/squirrel) etc.?!"

Cat owner: "Hello, police nationale? There is a dog which appears to be lost. He has a medal on his collar with the name Rex and a telephone number. I've called the number several times but there's a France Telecom message saying the number has been suspended."

Police nationale: "This is not our responsibility, please call the police municipale, this is the number..."

Cat owner: "Hello, police municipale? I have been out feeding the stray cats by the Fort Carre as usual this evening. There is a great big white dog, apparently lost. He has a medal on his collar with the name Rex and a telephone number. I've called the number several times but there's a France Telecom message saying the number has been suspended. Can you help?"

Police municipale: "Monsieur, we cannot locate another telephone number for the owner but we can collect the dog. However, the "dog catcher" is currently in Mandelieu and won't be able to get there for another 1 hour approximately. We will give him your telephone number."

Cat owner: "It's almost 8 o'clock in the evening, it's been raining for the past 1/2 hour very heavily. We (the dog and I) are both sheltering under a small overhang from a shipping container. I'm completely drenched (and so is the dog). I gave him some of the (cooked) fish that was mean't for the cats and he gulped it down. He's friendly, appears to like cats (and people, gulp - he's a very big dog...) but I'll wait. But please hurry!"

Dog catcher: "Monsieur, I'm here in the environs, where are you?"

Cat owner: "You're here and it's only 9 o'clock, bravo. But at least it's stopped raining. Continue on for about 150m and you'll see us both!"

The unmarked van appears and stops. Rex immediately goes to greet the dog catcher, allows a lead to be attached to his collar and is led into the back of the van and jumps in. The dog catcher is obviously anxious to get away. But I stop him and ask for his telephone number, details of the organisation etc., which he scribbles onto a scrap piece of paper. Somewhat unusual, I begin to have some misgivings. Rex is now, in some way, my responsibility. So I call the police municipale again, who confirms that the dog catcher is mandated by the city, that they will endeavour to identify and track down Rex's owner. And if he's not recovered within 10-14 days, he would be transferred to the French SPA for adoption. I let the dog catcher go. When I get back home finally, I do some research on the internet and identify the name & address behind the telephone number on the medal. It's local, and I leave a message on the dog catchers answerphone just before midnight. I call the dog catcher the next day. A woman with a lovely voice answers, I explain the situation and that I'm calling to know whether they've been able to speak with Rex's owner. The answer was "yes" and the owner should be collecting him later that afternoon. The number on the medal always being suspended, I ask cheekily if she has another telephone number for Rex's owner, I'd just like to speak with them. After some hesitation, she gave me 2 mobile numbers. I tried them both, opêrator's messages in response for both, 1 saying that the number was no longer valid, another saying to try again later. Are you still reading this, you must be sadder than I am...?! Well finally today, the 2nd number got a reply and I spoke to Rex's owner. Who happens to be British and lives on the Cap d'Antibes. Who had car problems yesterday, so couldn't after all recover Rex from the dog catcher. The car problems were fixed now but he probably wouldn't be able to make it up there before tomorrow, Saturday, he was so busy. I nevertheless offered him a lift up there and back, today or tomorrow, just in case it really was a car problem, which was politely refused. I thought he might have been a little upset with me for having Rex collected by the dog catcher. As far as I envisaged, there would be a hefty recovery fee/charges, going by the €150-200 the SPA etc. usually charge to cover vacinnation fees etc. when you adopt, but apparently there are no fees to be paid in this case according to Rex's owner. I didn't receive any thanks though. There's still a remaining whiff of smelly wet dog fur on my jeans and jacket from Wednesday night. I liked Rex. Who liked a bit of fish. And liked cats too. A big though handsome dog (some sort of labrador/alsation/? cross who stood about 1m high at head height).

Perhaps more cat owners today have previously also owned dogs at some stage in the past, as in my own case. Or perhaps it's true, that simple dog owners are comparatively much more inconsiderate, irresponsibile or neglectful of their charges ...?! :rolleyes::E

Jimmy Macintosh
21st Mar 2008, 18:19
Had a Stafford Bull Terrier.

Either side of our front door was lightly frosted glass, the cat from across the street would parade infront of the glass. The dog upon noticing this would run at full speed down the (wooden floored) hallway and skid...smack into the glass. One day the door was open, the cat started it's usual parade, dog started up ran down the hallway straight through the door grabbed the cat in one movement. It then dragged the cat across the road to where it lived, took it under the car and ate it.

About an hour later the owner came over and said "I think your dog ate my cat."

"Yes, yes she did."

Foss
21st Mar 2008, 18:52
Airship
Or perhaps it's true, that simple dog owners are comparatively much more inconsiderate, irresponsibile or neglectful of their charges
What exactly are you trying to say there.
Fos

matt_hooks
21st Mar 2008, 18:59
That's most unusual for a Staffy. They're normaly far too stupid to actually do any harm!

My sisters staffy enjoys chasing the cats, who generally tolerate her for a while, then get bored and give her a wallop between the eyes that sees her backing away at top speed, slightly cross-eyed and confused.

We used to have a guinea pig, that had a big run in the garden covered with chicken wire. On one occasion the staffy somehow managed to inveigle herself into the run. Cue major panic from the kids "oh no, the dog will eat the guinea pig" waily waily.

Cue self running out into gerden ready to beat off dog bent on guinea-pig gourmet dinner.

Not a bit of it. Dog is cowering in the corner of the pen, watched slightly suspiciously by guinea pig. Dog has blood pouring from nose, from two guinea pig tooth shaped holes. It seems that the dog got more than it bargained for!

airship
21st Mar 2008, 20:58
What exactly are you trying to say there.
Fos I think someone else just expressed it all better than I ever could: Had a Stafford Bull Terrier.

Either side of our front door was lightly frosted glass, the cat from across the street would parade infront of the glass. The dog upon noticing this would run at full speed down the (wooden floored) hallway and skid...smack into the glass. One day the door was open, the cat started it's usual parade, dog started up ran down the hallway straight through the door grabbed the cat in one movement. It then dragged the cat across the road to where it lived, took it under the car and ate it.

"Yes, yes she did."

Rumour has it that many larger dog owners believe that there is some correlation between the size of their dogs and their, uhmmm, brainy bits - at least the bits full of blood vessels that tend to stick out especially when expressing themselves in public forums like this one...?! BTW, I don't believe you're one of them. Not are Monsieur Drapes and SWH nor con-pilot.

Maybe it's just that dogs are "raised" by their owners and cats just "grow up". If my pudicat was a Bengal tiger, perhaps I too would get a hard-on letting her out to consume sundry dogs and/or their owners.

What is absolutely certain, is that it is dogs that foul the pavements and parks. Cats don't do that because they realise they'd be exposing their "owners" to excessive fines, so prefer fouling non cat-owners' gardens.

Is cat pee or shite really noxious for garden plants? Does anyone have any conclusive evidence one way or another? I always thought it was just another form of (natural) manure...?!

hellsbrink
21st Mar 2008, 21:39
The pee is always a killer, no matter what sort of animal it comes from.

Also, the digging a latrine, as cats do, don't help the flowers much when they are where cat decides said hole should be..

tony draper
21st Mar 2008, 21:55
True,its axiomatic, the smaller the willy the more the tattoos the larger the dog and the closer the head shaving.
:rolleyes:

frostbite
21st Mar 2008, 22:32
One can often have fun working out which end of the lead has the highest IQ level.

Jimmy Macintosh
22nd Mar 2008, 00:19
Wow, comments on the intelligence of owners. I'm stunned by the level of judgement.

I guess you're assuming I have low IQ and am one step short of Cromagnon man. Nice.

I have no need to explain myself or tell you more about me, I doubt it would even be read without prejudice, no point.

I'd like to know why you feel that I am as assumed when all that happened was a dog ran through an open door and killed a cat. It's already been explained that this is what dogs tend to do. When the incident was brought up would you prefer a lie? or an open acceptance of what happened? Do you even know how old I was when this happened? Believe it or not it was a story that fit how the thread was going. Until you know me better could I suggest that you wind in your neck and opinions of me? Or is it the bravado and anonymity of the internet that gives you the courage to express yourself in such a manner?

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 00:28
I've always been surprised that some cat owners think it's perfectly acceptable for their pets to ruin someone else's plants by digging and foul up someone else's garden, especially where food is being grown or where children play.

Perhaps it's just a matter of out of sight, out of mind, just like the attitude of some irresponsible dog owners who allow their pets to foul public areas.

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 00:33
Well I've told my two that they're not to do it and have tried to impress upon them that it is not acceptable behaviour. If I catch them ..... :}

Cheers

Whirls

frostbite
22nd Mar 2008, 13:19
If that post was aimed at my comment, Mr Macintosh, then I would suggest you are suffering from paranoia.

It was a general remark, intended for humourous effect, and in no way aimed at any individual.

As it happens, I love dogs, hate cats.

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 14:22
I don't believe that you were the target frostbite: I'd like to know why you feel that I am as assumed when all that happened was a dog ran through an open door and killed a cat. It's already been explained that this is what dogs tend to do...
...Until you know me better could I suggest that you wind in your neck and opinions of me? Or is it the bravado and anonymity of the internet that gives you the courage to express yourself in such a manner? I have great respect for all living creatures, both past and present. I sincerely regret the passing of the Neanderthals and often wonder about our homo sapiens ancestors and their relations with an apparently inferior (we survived, they did not) species.

However, I do not accept your argument that dogs kept as pets are naturally or even instinctively inclined to attack and kill cats. 5 or 10,000 years ago possibly. But not nowadays. Such behaviour is probably the result of how the animal was raised, a direct reflection of the animal's owner. Dogs simply chasing cats is one thing, and quite acceptable, but a chase that results in a savaging or death...?! But you appear to find it entirely normal, quite acceptable, don't express any regret or reservations...is it the bravado and anonymity of the internet that gives you the courage to express yourself in such a manner by recounting such a horrible story (save it for some obscure dog-fighting forum, mate). And then complaining about it when someone takes issue...?! :rolleyes:

I apologise that a thread about a fence got hijacked into some form of pro / anti cat-blood sport issue... :{ But I'm not afraid of dark alleys either, matey... :uhoh:

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 14:40
Love dogs, hate cats. Love cats, hate dogs.

I've never understood that mentality; surely one is either an animal lover or one isn't. I've grown up with dogs and cats and all manner of animals all my life and one thing I've learned, is that pets and owners end up being very much like each other.

Dogs and cats can live in harmony in the same house and many do. This to me is more evidence that it is the owners who encourage the behaviour rather than cat-chasing or dog-teasing being an instinct.

Some owners let their dogs foul the pavement and some owners do not provide a lavatory for their cats in the garden. Cats, given a nice freshly-dug piece of ground will crap in it.

Cheers

Whirls

airship
22nd Mar 2008, 14:53
Dogs and cats can live in harmony in the same house and many do. :ok: But someday, we'll all have to choose sides. As GWB and his cohorts reputedly said: "You're either with us, or against us" ...?! Make yer mind up now Whirls...or else blame the French! ;)

frostbite
22nd Mar 2008, 15:36
"I've never understood that mentality"

It's based (in my case) on experience, Whirls. I try to provide a safe haven and regular food source for the birds in my garden. When one of them is killed (for fun) by a neighbour's cat I take it very badly, even feeling to some degree responsible for enticing the bird into the garden in the first place.

I am simply an animal lover who makes an exception for cats.

airborne_artist
22nd Mar 2008, 16:23
We've got two Border Terrorists, spanking dogs with no idea that they are about 15% of the size of a Great Dane. Our two spend their time ratting, with some success, and chasing the cats, with no success.

I like cats and dogs, as it happens, but we are lucky enough to live in the cuds with no neighbours to speak of, and plenty of game for the two cats, so they don't have to kill garden bids to get their kicks. Pigeons and mice aplenty here, and they keep both under control.

The only problem with Borders is that they don't frighten the scum, so we have a Doberman who does this job, despite being as soft as butter.

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 16:45
When one of them is killed (for fun)
That's rather anthropomorphic. How do you feel about Sparrowhawks? Animals kill other animals; that's nature.

I used to keep pet rabbits and guinea pigs and I'm rather fond of them as species. I've also had a greyound (strictly my Mother's greyhound) who's caught and killed a rabbit. It doesn't mean that I hate all greyhounds because one killed a cute little bunny-wunny.

As I said, it's a mentality I don't understand.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 17:10
Sparrowhawks are wild birds, they only kill to eat. I respect that, it's part of nature's own balance.

Domestic cats still have the urge to kill, but only to satisfy their killing instincts. Some dogs still have killing instincts, but as soon as one does the natural deed, the hoi-polloi and/or the farmer call for it to be put down, or as often happens with the latter, deliver sumary justice of their own. Surely a dog killing a cat is just the same as a cat killing a bird, or nicking the fish from a pond?

Fortunately for all concerned I suppress my natural instinct to shoot cats crapping in my veg patch, or stalking the wild birds in my garden, up the ar$e with an air rifle. :uhoh:

Edit: nothing personal, Whirls - we'll not see eye to eye on this one.

ZH875
22nd Mar 2008, 17:12
Had a Stafford Bull Terrier.

"Yes, yes she did."

Please can I stop laughing now.

Who can loan me one of these dogs for a couple of days?.

A friend of the family was troubled by a neighbours cat crapping in his garden. He was a double glazing fitter, and when he next went on a long distance fitting, he collared the cat, placed it ever so gently in a cardboard box, and put it in his van.

He released it at the fitting site (some 200 miles away), and believe it or not, this cat has never crapped in his garden since.:E

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 17:33
Sparrowhawks are wild birds, they only kill to eat. I respect that, it's part of nature's own balance.
Cats kill to eat as well.

There's two issues here; people hate cats because they kill pretty little birdies and people hate cats because they crap in their garden.

Regardless of any further anthropomorphism, the former is instinct and very useful when getting rid of vermin (i.e. cute little meeses and ratties), the second is largely down to the owners in not providing somewhere themselves.

For each anti-cat argument or anti-dog argument, there are others that seem to contradict. I've often suspected that the dislike is more deep-rooted.

Still will never understand how someone can call themselves an animal lover but only certain animals that suit.

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 18:29
Some people hate cats.... I don't but I do dislike some of their habits, just as I dislike some habits of some dogs (and some people). Cats also give me asthma, but if one chooses to sit on my knee, I don't mind too much. :)

Foss
22nd Mar 2008, 18:29
Whirls
Went out with a girl years ago and she had two cats, oh dear. But after a while got used to them and actually got quite fond of them.

But Phnuff, to bring this swinging wildy back on track, there is a massive six foot stone wall bordering one whole side my garden, in disrepair. So Idiot used to be taken with going through or over the wall, and into the forest on the otherside. Which is part of a shooting estate. So, the poor ol dog could get shot by the gamekeeper if it's cavorting through the undergrowth playing with the pheasants. Asked the gamekeeper to repair the wall, still waiting. he made some comment about boundaries too. Blocked up a hole partially myself so the pheasants can still get in, and put up a large tangle of stonewall, wire, branchs, gorse where it had collapsed to keep the Idiot in.
Fos

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 18:35
Yes, I had no intention to cause a fence to any cat lovers.

Sorry. But at least there's no fish in it. Actually, there might be.

Flintstone
22nd Mar 2008, 19:25
Dogs are fine but I'm buggered if I want to walk them and scoop up warm turds in a placcy bag.

Now, cats. I used to own Bob the Bengal. Always brought home his own supper and if he ever got the night-time nibbles would go and catch a roosting pigeon. He was one hard cat. Nails I tell you. I once had to relieve him of a kestrel that he dragged in through the cat flap. It was not happy.

Union Jack
22nd Mar 2008, 19:50
He released it at the fitting site (some 200 miles away), and believe it or not, this cat has never crapped in his garden since.:E

ZH875 I'm so glad you added the so-called "Evil" smiley - that was a pretty evil thing to do and will almost certainly have caused much more distress (to the cat and the neighbours) than was being caused to your rather unpleasant sounding friend. Not at all as funny as you appear to think, and it would serve him right if the RSPCA got to hear about it.

Jack

PS For the avoidance of doubt, I'm a long term dog owner - never had a cat

END BAG
22nd Mar 2008, 21:20
Never have understood the need for people to have a dog or acat.i never had one as a child and we as a family over the last thirty years have never had any pets .I dont think we have missed out on anything especially now one has to walk around with a plastic bag to pick up ones dog poo!!!! UGH -how gross is that ,i cant imagine what it must feel like to pick up a pile of HOT,SMELLY dog poo and then walk miles with bag before chucking in a street bin.CATS -yuck ,hairy things that like to bring dead or half eaten animals into your house,Great ,i must dash out and get one right now!!!!! All my children have now left home and got their own families and thankfully they have decided that there is nothing lost in life by not having a cat or dog so we can visit there wonderful animal-free homes and not have too listen to them talking to animals as if they were humans and understood the english language.

tony draper
22nd Mar 2008, 21:32
Understandable Bag End I feel the same way about children,horrible smelly little feckers.:E

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2008, 21:48
pick up a pile of HOT,SMELLY dog poo and then walk miles with bag before chucking in a street bin

Or over a cat owner's fence.... :E

No, I'm not being serious :rolleyes:

hellsbrink
23rd Mar 2008, 04:09
All you lot whining abut whether a cat or dog is the better pet should coult yourselves lucky. You don't have a cat that seems to think it's a dog.

Radar66
23rd Mar 2008, 09:02
http://bigeyedeer.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/animal-surprise.jpg

max_cont
23rd Mar 2008, 11:25
Well I love cats, fantastic vermin killers and very self sufficient. Dogs are also useful if properly trained.

Sad dog stories: A terrier used to hunt one of my pens. Many requests to the owner to control the dog fell on deaf ears. One morning said terrier was spotted hunting the pen and unfortunately met a 130grn ballistic tip bullet coming the other way. Now the owner is sans dog. What little was left of the dog, was fed to the pigs. :(

Another sad dog story. Golden retriever spotted among the sheep at around 0400 while I was out lamping foxes. Owner confronted and seemed indifferent. I even explained what would happen if the animal was found chasing sheep again. The local police informed and I was told that the owner already had an official warning since the dog had killed around 200 chickens on a free range egg farm. I was told “just tell us when you’ve shot it and we’ll do the paperwork” Two weeks later I found the dog chasing the sheep, so another confrontation between a ballistic tip bullet and pooch occurred. :(

Since the words got out we don’t have any problems with dogs or dog owners any more. :D

Solid Rust Twotter
23rd Mar 2008, 12:51
Should've drilled the owner. The dog was just being a dog.

frostbite
23rd Mar 2008, 13:12
"You don't have a cat that seems to think it's a dog."

Would that be an Eastern variety? They seem to exhibit that tendency.

Whirlygig
23rd Mar 2008, 13:31
The Turkish Van cat likes to go swimming

http://www.hayes-ent.com/pairodocs/images/Squirt_011-sm.jpg

and quite a few breeds can be taught to fetch plus sit up and beg!

Cheers

Whirls

max_cont
23rd Mar 2008, 13:52
Solid Rust Twotter, agreed mate. :E

Unfortunately some dog owners don't realize that sometimes their pet's activity can result in a swift and permanent response. :ugh:

ZH875
23rd Mar 2008, 14:16
...and quite a few breeds can be taught to fetch plus sit up and beg!

Why on earth would anybody waste time teaching a moggy to do any of that? :ugh:

Pity you are not allowed to teach them to fetch housebricks from the bottom of a swimming pool.:E

hellsbrink
23rd Mar 2008, 14:33
Would that be an Eastern variety?

Nope, frostbite, just a standard cat. Except she chases her tail, digs 2'x1'x1' holes in the back yard, waits at the door for you when you go out, gets all excited when you get back home and dives onto you whenever you sit/lie on the couch.

Oh, she'll whine at you if it's late at night and you haven't gone to bed.

Weird :mad:

hellsbrink
23rd Mar 2008, 14:35
and quite a few breeds can be taught to fetch plus sit up and beg!

Two of my "standard moggies" do that, except they ain't been trained....

ShyTorque
23rd Mar 2008, 21:58
The Turkish Van cat likes to go swimming

I don't think it's too surprising that cats swim. Driving vans however, that really is surprising. :cool:

I think I've seen a few on the M1 though .....someone should teach 'em to use their indicators. :p

Whirlygig
23rd Mar 2008, 22:13
You're right ShyT; I've had a word with my two about using the indicators when they take the Alfa out to get me some more wine (I taught them to fetch - see?). Their use of mirrors ain't too good either - I'm going to have to hide the car keys!

Cheers

Whirls

frostbite
23rd Mar 2008, 22:52
Bet they avoid the cat's eyes.

ShyTorque
23rd Mar 2008, 23:07
I've had a word with my two about using the indicators when they take the Alfa out to get me some more wine (I taught them to fetch - see?).

I thought only dogs wined? Ours tries to catch birds but it won't swim - so exactly what's going on here?

Whirlygig
23rd Mar 2008, 23:17
No problem there ... there's a sign saying "Cats' Eyes Removed". They found it rather distressing at first but once I explained ....

Cheers

Whirls

Oi ShyT, you'd better not be calling me a dog .... I'll set Skeeter on yer!

Foss
23rd Mar 2008, 23:47
Idiot's never wined. Can't work the corkscrew. Has whined though. ;)

Dog releated injury today.
Broke my right collar bone 'bout two weeks ago, in exactly the same place as I broke it playing rugby. Yippee. Idiot didn't cause that, she can't get her head round the offside rule and doesn't play.
Anyway, I still can't lift anything much or take off jumpers without crying a little.
Walking up the country road as is the norm, Idiot's on short lead, at heel, on my right hand side. La la la la la, this is nice (Idiot completely ignored a dead female pheasant, just looked at it and walked on, never mind) La la la l -

woo ho wohoo wo hoo
Idiot's seen the farm dog on the other side of the road behind a gate.
Idiot whips round from my right thigh goes about a foot on my left hand side in front of me and pulls hard enough to get on her hind legs.
aah aow aow jesus aow
That was me as my arm was wrenched round my body and raised to shoulder height.
It smarted a little. :{:{
Fos

Cap'n Arrr
24th Mar 2008, 09:05
All this cat vs dog banter.

Don't you all know that a budgie is far superior to either of them?:E:ok:

ShyTorque
24th Mar 2008, 09:17
Oi ShyT, you'd better not be calling me a dog .... I'll set Skeeter on yer!

Er, no....I was referring to the cat!! :eek:

frostbite
24th Mar 2008, 13:20
"Don't you all know that a budgie is far superior to either of them?"

And a parrot is superior to a budgie. What could be nicer than a cheery "Hello ratface" when you stumble in to open the curtains in the morning, or "Goodnight you daft sod" as you tun the light out at night?

phnuff
24th Mar 2008, 16:12
Does this guy have tattoos on his fingers saying 'right and left'? (or rite and left?).

But would that be from the front or back?? :D

No actually, he is an odd creature - about 50 with bleach blond hair, an Argos chain around his neck, and a neat line in tracksuit bottoms. The wife may have C&A in her knickers, but to be honest, I would rather not think about what is in her knickers. Between them, they have really raised the sartorial elegance of the street and as for their collection of rusting old Vauxhalls . . . .

Who ever it was who said can they borrow Beanie for a few days. Sorry, but I would miss the little stinker now, although, a mate has suggested that I start a company called 'Beanie's Cat Disposal Service", so . . . .

Ozzy
24th Mar 2008, 16:46
The wife may have C&A in her knickers

So she can tell which way round to wear 'em?:E:E:E

Ozzy

Stoey
24th Mar 2008, 19:31
And a parrot is superior to a budgie. What could be nicer than a cheery "Hello ratface" when you stumble in to open the curtains in the morning, or "Goodnight you daft sod" as you tun the light out at night?

You dont need a parrot for that, i had a girlfriend that said the same thing :}