PDA

View Full Version : Famous Five: The Next Generation

Dop
20th Mar 2008, 17:52
Yep, once again the Disney corporation are taking a beloved series of British children's books and making a travesty of them.
BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7306752.stm): Enid Blyton's Famous Five are returning to TV screens in a new animated series - with an updated 21st Century look.
Famous Five: On the Case features the children of the original ginger beer-loving adventurers - and their dog, Timmy.
But the Famous Five's offspring are now multicultural; their enemies include a DVD bootlegger and they sport modern gadgets like iPods and mobile phones.
They feature 12-year-old Anglo-Indian Jo, short for Jyoti - a Hindu world meaning light - who, like her mother George, is a tomboy and the group's team leader.

(George with a child? Was a turkey baster involved?)

Sounds awful.

BigBoeing
20th Mar 2008, 19:56
Sounds like a big pile of turd. Exciting adventures involving DVD bootleggers hmmm.

CUNIM
20th Mar 2008, 21:16
Wot about the "secret seven" and Just William". I bet they are next in their thrust to destroy my innocence. BAH.

The SSK
20th Mar 2008, 21:45
How will they handle Titty? Or was that Swallows and Amazons?

I can never forgive Disney for spoiling - and at the same time cornering the market in - Winnie tho Pooh. Equally I can never forgive Andrew Lloyd Webber for hijacking Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. Can't read any of the poems now without some ghastly music intruding.

Paracab
20th Mar 2008, 22:17
I'm sure they'll tick all the boxes by making Jyoti bi-curious and wheelchair bound, at the very least.

er340790
20th Mar 2008, 22:26
And just look what the Yanks did to 'Thomas the Tank Engine......'

Ffrrraagghhhmmnnnnrrrrr......

Or words to that effect.

Keef
20th Mar 2008, 22:36
Number three granddaughter has an "audio book" of Winnie the Pooh.

Fine, I thought, until I heard it.
I don't remember a Gopher or a Raccoon in the original...

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 22:43
I think The Comic Strip did the best version of the Famous Five.:ok:

bnt
20th Mar 2008, 23:38
What do we old farts care? We're not exactly the target audience, are we? :8

selfloadingcargo
21st Mar 2008, 00:24
...but being a true old fart is about the right to make splenetic outpourings about the willful travestisation (?good word?) of things we hold dear to us, no matter how out of date we may be held to be (by those who are ill-placed to judge, quite clearly). This is not just the purpose but the true joy of old-fartism......

Arm out the window
21st Mar 2008, 00:30
There won't be any midnight feasts with ham sandwiches with lashings of butter, ginger beer etc, they'll be having organic fruit platters and caffeine free diet coke, you watch!

GrumpyOldFart
21st Mar 2008, 22:41
Are we still allowed to say 'ginger beer'? Or is it liable to offend the, well, you know...?

frostbite
21st Mar 2008, 23:36
I wasn't very impressed by the film version of The Magic Roundabout they showed on TV today.

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 00:35
At the risk of offending a few here .... :ouch:
I read my first and last Famous Five book when I was about 8. I thought it was rubbish then! I don't believe Disney could make it any worse.

Agree that Comic Strip was the best; Five Go Mad in Dorset and Five Go Mad on Mescalin.

Cheers

Whirls

"Oh Timmy, you're SO licky!" "George, don't let him do that; it's not hygenic."