PDA

View Full Version : has anyone become an engineer from another background?

ATLANTICAIRLINES
20th Mar 2008, 16:25
I am a qualified engineer for british gas and have been trying to get into aircraft engineering for some years!
I have just started to do my modules after receiving some advice from an engineer i know, and have successfully passed 4 modules at b1 level.
Although i have been picking up experience at weekends at aircraft maintenance services at blackpool on the 748 and ATP, from what i read the way i am doing it seems to be frowned upon by the industry!! Will i be employable if i carry on this way?

Riccardo
20th Mar 2008, 17:02
I don't think it will be a problem - stick at it!

I know people that have gone from being a taxi driver to B1, also a guy I know used to maintain ski lifts before taking the B1 modules.......

EGT Redline
20th Mar 2008, 21:27
I have just started to do my modules after receiving some advice from an engineer i know, and have successfully passed 4 modules at b1 level. Although i have been picking up experience at weekends at aircraft maintenance services at blackpool on the 748 and ATP, from what i read the way i am doing it seems to be frowned upon by the industry!! Will i be employable if i carry on this way?

You have been misadvised. No need to study for the modules, simply collect a sufficient number of tokens from the back of Kellogg’s Cornflake packets, pay the P&P and hey presto, shiny new licence turns up on the doormat!

Joking aside, I know one or two individuals who have successfully made the transition from other engineering backgrounds. At the end of the day anything is possible if you are prepared to put in the effort. There is no substitute for actual hands on aircraft experience so the weekend work will definitely aid your cause. Be certain to log all this experience no matter how trivial with a view to showing it to potential employers in the future.

Nobody is going to frown upon an individual who successfully makes the grade through sheer hard work and determination. Be prepared for one or two knock backs on the way but stick with it, you'll get there in the end.

Good luck!

vs69
20th Mar 2008, 21:53
Plus, being a qualified person from another technical trade will mean you require less experience than a self starter without any technical training when it comes to applying for your licence,(3 years instead of 5 last time I checked) best of luck with it! Also you will probably be able to fabricate a length of pipe better than anyone else you are working with!

Vortechs Jenerator
21st Mar 2008, 10:00
As has been said....

If you pass the exams and display the required experience requirements then you ARE a licensed engineer. The path to get there is irrelevant.

Weird choice of usernamer though, have you worked there!

effortless
21st Mar 2008, 10:22
Funnily enough, I know someone who has gone the other way. Sixteen years on heavies and he has just done his ACS (or is it ACOPS) and registered with CORGI. His biggest problem was work experience which I imagine will be the same for you. No-one wants the faff or expense of training anyone anymore. He worked for nothing for a year with a gasfitter in order to fullfil his experience requirements. Can one do this in aviation engineering?

Vortechs Jenerator
21st Mar 2008, 16:32
Can one do this in aviation engineering?

I'd bet if you called up most Maintenance departments and offered a pair of hands for free with the proviso that you gain varied OJT, they'd snap them off (the free hands!).....so long as the police checks etc were c/out ok. We wouldn't want any naughty boys or girls running around the aircraft now!

ATLANTICAIRLINES
21st Mar 2008, 18:15
I have worked at atlantic, hence the name and hopefully will be getting some more work experience there in the summer.
I have offered my free hands to all the major airlines at manchester, but keep getting knock backs, seems the free hand route doesn't always work!! I am going to ravenair at liverpool, to see about getting some work experience there. does anyone know anything about them? I know there mainly piston engine light aircraft, i presume any experience helps!!!!!
Thanks for the replys so far, it's put my mind at rest that hard work and determination pays off!!

Vortechs Jenerator
22nd Mar 2008, 11:16
Most companies don't have a "system" for employing people without paying them therefor approaching through the "front door" via cold call or letter to HR will probably not work.

Going through a Maintenance Manager of Senior LAE contact would be better or perhaps calling some of the recruitment agency'c that can "get you in" would be better (as they won't get any money - they may not be that interested other than a bit of credit for finding a free labourer).

You probably won't get any line work atall as having untrained people on the ramp is a bad thing - aiming for hangars would be better.

I would have thought Flybe at MAN would let you into their "A" Check hangar to play.

Rigga
22nd Mar 2008, 17:35
A problem that may occur is that a customer does not want "non-professionals" working on their aircraft!
This has happened a few times with modern apprentices in MRO's where the customer wanted work re-certified or would not pay for the Apprentices man-hours.

A snag I hit once was how to give an approval to someone who did not have any recognised basic training? In that company's quality system I couldn't give the subject a Workshop approval - I dont know how that would work under EASA's Pt 66?

Other than that I cannot see any problem with the self-taught route.

Good Luck AA - We need keen people like you to enter the industry.

WOTME?
23rd Mar 2008, 12:14
Try to steer clear of the puddle jumpers - the money is with the bigger stuff.
One bonus for you is that after 748's & ATP's it can only get better.

ATLANTICAIRLINES
23rd Mar 2008, 22:59
well there definetely an experience the 748 and atp!!! but have really enjoyed learning the basics on them!!
thanks everyone for replying!! if you meet an ex gas man soon!!!!!!:D

Mr.Brown
24th Mar 2008, 15:42
I know of one particular airline (before selling the hangars off and prePart 66) that used to take on some people from mainly motor trades, but some plumbers and gas fitters also, and use them on the floor with fully trained mechanics and engineers for a couple of years before letting them loose. Some of these went on to pass all their exams and get their licences.
Unfortunaltely they no longer do their own maintenance but it was rather successful at the time..
The trouble now is (just like the pilots situation) that their are too many young lads and lasses studying their part 66 at various colleges/Universities around the country just needing OJT and would kill each other to get it, and as a result companies can pay peanuts if any for their efforts.
This new system has jepordised the appreticeship system and the entry systems from other trades..

I say, four years experience before you can apply to sit your exams should be the legislation. That should make sure the airlines and MRO's invest in people again:). Instead of an 18yr old borrowing a fortune to get all the academic qualifications, and then scrapping for a **** paying job for two more years just getting experience. Why not get them at 16 and by the time their 20 they have more experience and are ready for their licence at 21..

The aviation industry shoud be training people, not people training themselves being convinced by their instructors (who's wages are being paid by these students) that their is loads of work and you can earn a fortune:=...
Truth is they are really only starting their apprenticeship at the age of 22....

Sorry for the rant!!!!!!:ugh:

FIMbar the Furious
24th Mar 2008, 17:21
MR. Brown is spot on. Learning the job at college does not prepare you for the real world. What was wrong with the apprenticeship with block release. Take kids from school at 16, send them to a technical training school for the first year and then 3 years in the hanger, line on shift learning from experienced staff. You could even have a modern take on the old craft / non craft route ie A or B licence.

For someone retraining from another trade whats wrong with them starting as a mech greasing and depanelling and again buildng knowledge from the experienced staff

Atlanticairlines, good luck on your quest, the job has its good and bad parts like any. Worked with a few guys who retrained and have no probs. Worked with a few time served that I wouldnt let touch my 5 year olds bike though

ATLANTICAIRLINES
24th Mar 2008, 18:55
well fimbar thats all i want is the opportunity to get stuck in and start to get the hands on experience i need!
i understand people not wanting to let you loose without experience, but how do you get that experience without someone taking a chance on you.
I know from having apprentices with me, that they are not perfect, but thats why i am there to train them! everyone has started at the beginning!!!!!!
At least i am used to using tools, and having to solve the problem of a faulty system myself, that must put a little faith in someone...

Perrin
25th Mar 2008, 09:10
This reminds me of the days at Prestwick's Scottish Aviation Ltd and we were very busy building the Jetstreams. To get workers the company took on men from the motor trade, British Rail, TV repairmen etc.
Some of the finest engineers I have ever worked with came out of that bunch, not all became LAE's but I would fly on any Aircraft that these guys worked on or build. If you are wanting to become a Aircraft Engineer that's the important bit.

Good Luck Peter:D

ATLANTICAIRLINES
25th Mar 2008, 10:12
cheers smudge, & perrin in fact everyone for your encouragement!!
i will keep perservering! something will come a long soon...
I am sure!!!!

FIMbar the Furious
27th Mar 2008, 06:59
AtlanticAirlines, no problems with anyone retraining and getting the experience the way you are trying. I did not come accross to well but its the college based A and B licence courses I disagree with. Yes the licence is a hard accademic exam but the job is so much more and for me you can only get that in industry. Hanger experience is so valuable, I have even come accross some line guys at one airline that couldnt get a pannel off because he couldnt drill a fastener out

Its the airlines responsibility to ensure they have enough trained AND experienced staff, for me a lot of them are not meeting that.

Going back to your origonal post I would think that you would be looked on favourably by most companies as you shown you have the motivation to get up and do something about it. 4 modules in the bank is proof you are serious.

Have you looked at BAMC in Cardiff, or BAMG in Glasgow.Not the best places to work I have heard but I think they take on people from other trades.

Bus429
27th Mar 2008, 10:48
ATC Lasham at Southend have been known to help people in your position. You could try ATC Lasham at Lasham, too.

Time industry took the long-term view and encouraged those who want to to be AMEs. MAEL used to convert adult trainees but they had a pool of talent from Vauxhall.

WOTME?
27th Mar 2008, 16:39
You could try giving Chevron a ring,they're an agency based in Manchester.

ATLANTICAIRLINES
1st Apr 2008, 09:24
The reason i asked my original question was that, when doing my research of the best routes into LAE, i have noticed that many companies always advertise as, "must have served a recognised aircraft engineering apprenticeship"..
I take it by what everyone is advising, that if you gain as much hands on experience through ojt and courses, that this isn't the case!! or is it with most companies?????:ugh:
I am getting confused!!!!!!

ATLANTICAIRLINES
1st Apr 2008, 19:20
I have managed to contact bamc & bamg, but there is nothing happening at the moment!!! atc lasham nothing and chevron say i need some more experience, but i'll keep on trying everywhere!!!
thanks again everyone!!!!:ok:

r75
20th Apr 2008, 19:18
Whatever work you do on operational aircraft, record it all in a Log Book, try to keep the different aircraft in their own sections and state what done even if you only watched it being worked, cross ref your work to the relavent AMM, type of work: routine/defect/inspection etc and if you can, get it verrified by an LAE.I know it sounds a lot, but there is no substitute for an accurately recorded Log Book.If you cannot get a Company one, the CAA at Gatwick should be able to supply one.NEVER give up....it can be done and is a great( sometimes you wonder!) job.Take your time with the EASA exams, THERE IS NO substitute for hard "hands on" experience, hope this helps.Good Luck.

Rigga
20th Apr 2008, 23:21
Whilst r75 is right about experience sheets and recording work - I refer you back to Post No. 10 para 2.

I hit this problem with a Workshop mechanic who was recommended for an approval but I couldn't give him one (in that company) due to the lack of "certified" basic training or any other relevant qualification.

Different companies may view this in different ways - but its one that may stop you from joining anywhere.

Strangely, the answer may be for you to go through all the modules, prove you know what you're on about, and get yourself an EASA Licence!!

Rigga

ATLANTICAIRLINES
6th May 2008, 21:57
cheers everyone!! I have got a few things, hopefully happening soon!

chuzwuza
7th May 2008, 21:27
Best of luck to you AA. I personally would jump at the chance to `retrain` a person of proven engineering ability over a person who has attained all of their modules at college. In the last ten years I have seen alot of guys (and gals) joining the industry via college only to find later that they are totally unsuited to the job. Many have studied hard and fair play to them ,but when they eventually get in the real world you sometimes find these people do not know one end of a spanner from the other. Hand skills can be taught to a certain degree, but if you are not mechanically minded or posess a degree of manual dexterity then you have no place working on aircraft!
I am quite sure that this does not apply in your case and believe that prospective employers should embrace tallented, motivated, skilled workers instead of doing it on the cheap and hiring kids who can only prove they have the ability to pass exams.
Before I receive stacks of abuse from ex-college students, I am sure that there are some exceptions who make top notch engineers, but if I were the gaffer, you AA would get my vote. Good luck and stick at it.:ok:

winglit
8th May 2008, 04:04
I used to be in the RAF until I got a proper job. But one of my postings was at RAF St Athan, now DARA St Athan. It was a while ago, but they were always looking for people to work on the shop floor as a civilian craftsman.

They took butchers, bakers and candlestick makers from the Welsh valleys and turned them into aircraft fitters. Once they had enough experience a lot of them were poached by neighbouring BAMC for more dosh.

I don't know if they are looking for people, but might be another line of enquiry for you.

shuchim
8th May 2008, 08:33
there r really good answers by everyone that my much of tension fly away.because i am also finding job and i am not getting it actully i done my aircraft maintenance engineering from india and working as unpaid apprentis at go air india delhi .but finding that a lot of person going like this and belive that practical expireance have lot of value i will do a lot of hard work in getting the experience and hope will get a job soon .

MerryDown
16th May 2008, 20:06
I have spoken to guys who have had involvement with Chevron , and they spoke highly of them.

I concur your gas engineer background can only be a help not a hindrance. If you have the aptitude for aircraft engineering, and are committed to seeing it through anything is possible.

I personally do short contract work all over the world, its not the best but suits me at the moment. Keep your nose in your books and keep up the hard work, it will pay off in the end.

Good luck

PB