PDA

View Full Version : Exam questions vs PPL Confuser questions

igarratt
20th Mar 2008, 16:07
Could anyone offer any info or remarks in how much the ppl confuser questions actually reflect the real exam questions ?

I am on Air law first, I have taken in the Trever Thom (few years out of date tho) and know near all the PPL Confuser with a 98% consistent score from the 191 questions.

I'm concerned that I am relying on knowing all the ppl confuser Q & A being the questions in the Exam too much.

Have you used the PPL confuser and taken a (or any) exam ? and were the exam questions ones in the Confuser ?

All help much appreciated as I'm looking to do the exams one a week with full time study if I can.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your help or opinions

Ian

maxdrypower
20th Mar 2008, 17:22
This subject has been done to death , I would suggest you do a search . However whilst Im here . If you can get 98% from the confuser then youll pixx the exams . In MY Personal experience I found all the questions in my PPL exams to be in the confuser albeit with slightly different wording . If you can answer the questions in the confuse youll pass the exams . There is however no substitue for knowing the material and not just relying on the confuser

acuba 290
20th Mar 2008, 19:12
confuser helped me a lot, but book fro AFE "PPL Q&A Simplifier" was must have for me and it gives you exactly same manner and style like actual exams. But it is nice to have after books or CBT and also confuser;)

Shunter
20th Mar 2008, 19:46
1. Read Thom Books. Do the progress tests at the end of every chapter. If you're not getting them all right, go back and re-read what you need to.
2. If you've completed the above correctly, you won't even NEED the confuser, but...
3. Read the confuser. It's pretty good.

There are other publications available which are essentially the exact exam questions, with detailed answer explanations, but being able to pass the exams is not the same thing as knowing the subject matter. If you're going on to commercial, the base knowledge from the PPL exams will slash your study time by a not inconsiderable margin, so it's best to just get your head down and put the hours in.

igarratt
21st Mar 2008, 11:56
cheers for all your replies guys/gals :)

i'm going to go down the TT with confuser route, if I go belly up on first exam I'll add the afe q&A and also the Exam secrets guide from Pilot Warehouse

a slightly worrying thing i heard from a ppl quali was that:
One thing to be wary of is that some of the confuser answers are wrong although the explanations are correct.

that sounds particularly bad, can see how the topics look simple in TreThom but doing the confuser asks in a round about way thats there to confuse you.

I've found some stupid worded ones but figured that was just the caa way lol any one info on what may be wrong or is that a too bigger question ?

Ian

a p.s is in the ppl confuser it uses 30ft per mb but my instructor has me using 27ft, if I use 27ft per Mb then I get the answer wrong, any ideas ?
:ugh:
I also could not find the list of 17 item that a pilot is allowed to change on an aircraft I was told it's in ANO 3 / 16 but no sign of it, all i have is tyres and plugs.

Shunter
21st Mar 2008, 17:33
Here's a couple more...

Change air freshener.
Empty ashtrays.

Only joking. I wouldn't bother too much about that, I've not seen it in any PPL or ATPL questions.

As I recall, the PPL questions state 1mb=30ft, and Thom says use 30ft for simplicity. The ATPL questions on the other hand assume 27ft unless stated otherwise in the question.