PDA

View Full Version : Netgear showing on network

whiz
20th Mar 2008, 15:52
Hi All,
I recently set up a small home network and all is running well but one thing is niggling at me. When I look at the available networks (Im running Vista) I can see my home network which is secured, my next door neighbours secured network and another simply entitled 'Netgear' which is unsecured. When I look at my network places on the laptop I have the desktop, the lappy and the netgear router all showing. Is there any possibility that the netgear showing on the available networks is my router? If so how can I check that it is mine and more importantly how do I secure it?
Thanks in advance

Edited to add that I connected to the 'Netgear' network out of curiosity and it allowed me to surf the web.

airborne_artist
20th Mar 2008, 16:43
I think that Netgear is not you, and it belongs to another neighbour, in which case it's not your problem.

If you can see three networks, one of which is yours, and is secure, then the unsecured Netgear network can't be yours, surely.

bnt
20th Mar 2008, 18:20
Agreed - your network will only appear once, under the name that you gave it, so that must be someone else.

You can stop your network name appearing in the list, if you want - the setting is called "Broadcast SSID" or something similar. It would make it harder to connect a new system to it, but you can turn it on again when you need to do that.

whiz
21st Mar 2008, 11:12
Hi All,
I checked last night and again this morning and the 'Netgear' network has now disappeared. Perhaps it was a neighbour setting up a new network or somesuch. Cheers for the replies :ok: