PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 medical issue time

LJones
20th Mar 2008, 14:57
Hey people.
I have went for my medical about 5 weeks ago and passed. How long would it take for the issue of my class 1 medical? Do i even get some thing to prove it like a document or something or is my name on a database... :confused:

Voidhawk9
20th Mar 2008, 17:12
That'a bit of a long wait. I had to wait a similar period for my initial issue, before receving the $300 piece of laminated paper in the mail.

Howard Hughes
20th Mar 2008, 20:01
Laminated? Looxury...;)

tcross
20th Mar 2008, 21:36
laminated? wow, i must have annoyed someone good old paper for mine

kingRB
21st Mar 2008, 00:34
yeah I apparently passed no problems with an initial issue I had to do again back at the start of Feb.

I left it for a good 4 weeks - then wondered why I still hadnt been charged by CASA, so I rang them only to find out my bloody DAME hadnt even sent the paperwork!

Long story short, CASA finally got it all and charged the fee to my CC on the 7th of March. I still havnt received any word about it :confused:

mates rates
21st Mar 2008, 00:45
don`t even think about it for 2 months I would say, as RENEWALS are taking this long.I had to ring them 4 times and finally get them to fax me a phhotocopy so I could go flying after the 2 month extension given on my old medical as normal practice by the DAME.

PyroTek
21st Mar 2008, 00:48
I remember my mate went for his initial Class 1 medical and didn't receive it for 5 months.
(And it was dated about 2 months before he actually went to the appointment)
(I am still yet to go for mine, ugh)

Crash Lander
21st Mar 2008, 01:31
A friend of mine has been waiting a month for his renewal to come back. Still no sign of it.
Can the medical be done say a month before it's due, so there's no period of no medical? My friend can't fly at the moment!
(not sure if it's a class 1 or whatever. He's just a GA pilot with no commercial.)

Crash Lander
21st Mar 2008, 01:33
.......after the 2 month extension given on my old medical as normal practice by the DAME.

Does this mean there's an automatic 2 month extension on a medical after the printed expiry?
(Sorry, I'm just a fresh RAA pilot, so I don't have to worry about getting medicals etc.)

Mr Cat
21st Mar 2008, 01:48
it depends on how the DAME is submitting the application forms. A month ago my DAME examined me and submitted it on the spot after the blood tests came back. An hour later I rang CASA and payed the $75 CASA fee on the phone. 8 days later the medical was in my hand.

I think the problem may be with your DAME's. You should continuously harass them to submit the applications ASAP after the examination, preferably electronically submitted. It is so much quicker.

As for you guys that are waiting in excess of 5 weeks, i think there is a problem there..........

cat:)

Crash Lander
21st Mar 2008, 02:55
My mate said his DAME submitted it the next day, and 3 days later he had a letter from CASA asking for the $75 fee for processing. That was almost 4 weeks ago.

AerocatS2A
21st Mar 2008, 03:06
Crash Lander, when you pass your renewel the DAME should sign an extension on your current medical, this will keep it enforce for a couple of months and therefore you should not have any period without a medical.

It's not just the DAMEs fault that there are delays. My DAME submits the medical on the spot while I am in his surgery. It still took nearly 2 months for my last renewel to come through.

Crash Lander
21st Mar 2008, 10:43
Thanks Aerocat! I'll mention this to my friend. Incidentally, he was only getting a class 2 this time round.

flog
21st Mar 2008, 10:53
My renewal took 6 weeks through Feb and the start fo this month. The DAME had forgotten to send the paperwork in... so really 3 weeks at CASA.

HappyBandit
21st Mar 2008, 22:20
Still waiting on my class 1 renewal. Had my examination and all clear 1st week of Jan....Called CASA, told me that hadn't received payment....Told them I had called the same day as examination......Emailed them 8 times (no response), called them 3 times.....stupid receptionist puts me through to the wrong section or am waiting in a cue for over 30 mins......I give up.!!!!! Will call them to wish them a Happy Easter on Tuesday.

solowflyer
22nd Mar 2008, 02:38
Took my initial issue about 4 months. after 2 months of pestering casa they admitted they had lost the DAMEs paperwork so had to get dr to send it back in. Had also sent them a cheque for the issue which took them 6 months to cash when I phoned them to find out what had happened to the cheque they said it was there but they could not bank it because there was a backlog of banking to be done. :yuk:

cogwheel
22nd Mar 2008, 04:21
Anyone remember a decade or more back when the medical renewal was not an issue and it just got done?? Why has something so simple become such an issue?? Even when it was 6monthly it was somewhat quicker!

PA39
22nd Mar 2008, 13:17
You haven't passed until you have it on official white paper.

Howard Hughes
23rd Mar 2008, 01:45
Mine is stamped 'renew by CASA only' and it only took 2 days to get back!

It is all about how nicely you ask I guess...;)

kingRB
23rd Mar 2008, 07:34
Anyone remember a decade or more back when the medical renewal was not an issue and it just got done?? Why has something so simple become such an issue??

because thats what bureaucracy is best at doing :p

25th Mar 2008, 17:56
I was actually checking this out about 5 mins ago & apparently you can do the renewal up to 45 days before the medical goes out of date.

TLAW
25th Mar 2008, 20:45
The problem is 45 days doesn't seem to be long enough for CASA to get their act together.

J D
25th Mar 2008, 21:15
So you can't make an appointment and walk away with your new medical same day. Unless of course some issues are found, then all bets are off.

I just did my NZ Class 1 here in the states and found most of it was the same as our Class 1 but was surprised at some of the extra requirements.