PDA

View Full Version : Percentage of people who get onto Ryanair SSTR who don't get employed??

Wilga
20th Mar 2008, 13:31
Hi

I am seriously thinking of applying to RYR for a place on their cadet scheme.
Do most of the cadets going through the TR with them end up being employed?
If for any reason I was not employed after finishing TR this would be catastrophic to my finances as I would be having to borrow money to fund the course. I'm sure many of you have been in or maybe are presently in a similar situation and needing to make similar decisions. If so I'd really appreciate your views on this so I can reach a decision asap on whether to borrow 30k for the TR course.:eek:

Cheers and happy Easter!:O

no sponsor
20th Mar 2008, 13:53
There was a thread a few months ago about a few not getting through the LST/OPC in the sim at the end of their course. If you don't pass that, you ain't getting hired; not in Ryanair and not anywhere else.

Similarly, if you fail the base check, then I'd guess you won't go any further, and the same would apply to the line training.

If you pass all the above, and given they are obviously desperate for flight crew (even I have been offered an interview!) then I'd say you will get onto the line and fly.

But, you need to understand that the pay for a cadet is very poor. Could you afford to live and pay back your big debt too?

Wilga
20th Mar 2008, 14:46
Hi
Thanks for the response. The loan will be from family so I'm sure I'll be able to postpone payments until I got a pay rise if I get that far. I was wondering if any one knew any figures on how many people succeed on the RYR sstr and how many fail. What would one do if they failed the line training for instance?:{
My other option is doing an FI course and instructing for a year or so. My concern with this is that with the way the industry is going I'll have to pay for TR a year or so down the line anyway, even with an extra 700 hrs SEP time but little multi crew experience and certainly no jet/turboprop time??
Oh, and I hasten to add that I'm now 34 years old so time is not necessarily on my side. Maybe I should spend the money on a Citation XL rating and some time on type then bombard all the European operators of this aircraft? Questions, questions! Please give me some answers so I can make the decision with confidence!! :confused:

no sponsor
20th Mar 2008, 15:31
Go for the jet every time.

People fail the line training because they don't develop quickly enough to keep up with the aircraft. A couple of guys in my airline failed their line training. The reality is that they should really call it a day, flying jets was beyond their ability in a commercial environment.

If you've got good passes in your flight training, and had a history of finishing things within the normal time frames, you've probably got what it takes.