PDA

View Full Version : Quick thanks to SWA

astroglider
20th Mar 2008, 12:34
Just a quick note of thanks for the SWA crew holding ahead of us on arrival to PHL yesterday 3/19. We were running out of holding time/fuel and getting ready to divert to Allentown when SWA offered to let us ahead of them in line for PHL. I believe it was SWA 837 or 1837? ATC was jammed and they were working a Brickyard jet declaring MIN Fuel...we weren't fuel critical but we were within minutes of diverting......thanks to SWA our pax arrived in PHL instead of taking a lengthy delay in ABE.

Thanks from Delta

FanOn
20th Mar 2008, 15:24
Nice to know chivalry is not dead. Not to mention an awareness that we are all basically on the same side.

I had a friend going into Kai Tak that was about to give the guy above next shot for the same reason, when the check airman sitting in the right seat suggested that it might jeopardise the result of the flight.

My friend kept the order, kept his seat, but still regrets the D.

The guy above had to divert five minutes later and thirty minutes before my friend got close to min fuel.

Bigmouth
20th Mar 2008, 18:44
I imagine the SW guy uses DL a lot for his commuting. His way of saying "thanks".

SeniorDispatcher
20th Mar 2008, 22:37
Just a quick note of thanks for the SWA crew holding ahead of us on arrival to PHL yesterday 3/19. We were running out of holding time/fuel and getting ready to divert to Allentown when SWA offered to let us ahead of them in line for PHL. I believe it was SWA 837 or 1837? ATC was jammed and they were working a Brickyard jet declaring MIN Fuel...we weren't fuel critical but we were within minutes of diverting......thanks to SWA our pax arrived in PHL instead of taking a lengthy delay in ABE.

Thanks from Delta

No 837 or 1837 into PHL, but I suspect it was SWA873 BNA-PHL which is a morning flight. I'll pass it along to the crew for you....

mad_jock
20th Mar 2008, 22:54
Sorry a bit lost how can telling ATC you have enough fuel to allow another aircraft who is getting near limits in ahead of you reason to fail a line check?
I wouldn't like to see someone dissappearing off to a single runway which could go out due runway blocked with min fuel with a runway available and open local with very likely zero options for them after the divert.

We all have local chess games with arrivals all grouped together but as soon as you hear someone is short and you have loads to spare you offer ATC the option.

I firmly believe the old saying "treat others how you would want treated your self"

In real life the fact that this had been offered the controller would have remembered and the next time there was a 50/50 you would have got in first a few times thus saving the company the fuel spent a few times over. Even if you don't get any extras the good karma is worth it.

Mind you as accountants don't understand airmanship and goodwill and a good discount for ATC peeps saves you money what hope do we have.

Airbubba
20th Mar 2008, 23:11
Not that long ago a Delta pilot wouldn't even speak to a Southwest pilot. Now he gives him a resume...:)

View From The Ground
20th Mar 2008, 23:51
Kudos to the SWA pilot, anyone know if this has ever happened at LHR.......:E