PDA

View Full Version : Nuts, its nits!

angels
20th Mar 2008, 12:29
My daughter is 10 and has lovely long hair which comes to about half way down her back.

The trouble is, she's always infested with ruddy nits! We clear them up, and then they're back again. This is something which has been going on for six months or so now.

Does anyone have any idea to how to prevent nits? Is there some sort of liquid that stops the beggers returning or do we have to keep sloshing loads of the foul smelling nit killer onto her all the time?

Suggestions gratefully accepted! :ok:

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 12:38
Get some of that stuff we put on the fur at the back of a SWH's neck just a wee drop and any nits are slain.
Yer might have to tempt the wee lassy wi small bits of cheese though,that's what we do to get SWH to stay still long enough to crtry out the operation.
:)

Tony Hirst
20th Mar 2008, 12:44
Once that latest eradication exercise is complete, use Tea Tree shampoo. It doesn't kill them, but they would prefer to colonize somebody else's bonce instead.

Once we got rid of them from our kids, we don't seem to have suffered repeat occurrence.

Duchess_Driver
20th Mar 2008, 12:48
Duchess_The_Younger suffers from said affliction.

Found that the only real way to keep 'nit-free' is regular washing and conditioning with a nit-comb. Didn't find any of the chemical stuff really worked! Nor Tea-Tree oil either!

Apparently they are only 4 days old before they're laying eggs - so we set up a regimen that every two days for a week DTJ got a thorough going through. That way they're never old enough to lay eggs of their own!

'Tis a sign of the times unfortunately - remember the 'Nit Nurse' when I was a lad - at the first sign you we're sent home so you couldn't infect everybody else. Oh how things have changed!

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 12:54
Anyone else having a scratch reading this?

hellsbrink
20th Mar 2008, 13:18
angels

find out who they are coming from as, by the sound of things, someone else (probably at school) is infested with them and your kiddie is probably getting the infestation from them.

You won't be able to do a thing until the source is eradicated, short of giving her a monthly dose of Frontline (as Mr. D suggested), as the damn things will always come back

Ozzy
20th Mar 2008, 13:27
Hi angels sorry to hear of the lassie's woes. I agree with hellsbrink she is being reinfested by someone else. Might be worth having a word with the school nurse.

All the best

Ozzy

NRU74
20th Mar 2008, 13:41
'Tis a sign of the times unfortunately - remember the 'Nit Nurse' when I was a lad - at the first sign you we're sent home so you couldn't infect everybody else. Oh how things have changed!

When I were a lad, at Primary School admittedly over 50 years ago,the kids with nits had their heads shaved and their bald pates painted with potassium permanganate solution- which, as you probably know, is purple in colour.
Seemed to work OK though.

Binoculars
20th Mar 2008, 13:42
B4 went through this for a couple of years at the same stage. We knew where they were coming from; whenever her friend from down the road would come up to our house the nits would follow. Got to the stage where Mrs B would insist on said friend donning a shower cap whenever she came in the house! God I'm glad those days are over.

We also knew, as did the school, that said friend was getting her infestation from another of her friends whose dozy bint of a mother didn't have a clue and vehemently denied her little angel could possibly have been responsible. All got a bit awkward there for a while, and diplomacy finally had to go out the window.

Yes, the over the counter preparations generally work with varying degrees of efficiency, but unless you find the source and eliminate it you'll be using those preparations forever.

GANNET FAN
20th Mar 2008, 13:46
Angels, I assume you have that very fine toothed combe that at least gets them off the hair?

If not most chemists stock them and its very effective

Devlin Carnet
20th Mar 2008, 13:57
As I recall, The Nit is the actual egg, and cannot be killed, it is only the lice that are killed, then said nits hatch and voila more lice to kill.
I do stand to be corrected though.

VH-MLE
20th Mar 2008, 14:11
Most of last year I battled nits in my kids hair. I was using a product called Banlice which has chemicals which probably don't do you a lot of good if used for an extended period. This product didn't seem to do the job so I switched to another one called Moov which contains tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil. After a month of once a week treatment the headlice were conquered and we lasted 4-5 months without the little buggers.

However since school has started they are back and I'm now at week 3 into the same process and have seen great results so far. THe keys for success from my perspective are: (i) conduct the treatment once a week for 3-4 weeks without fail (as new eggs will hatch and breed if you don't); (ii) tie your daughter's hair in a pony tail to minimise contact with other children's hair; (iii) spray a combination of water and tea tree oil on your children's hair before school each day as this seems to help repel them.

Having battled nits for a reasonable period of time now I feel confident in saying that the above seems to work.

Good luck.

RAFEmployee
20th Mar 2008, 15:14
Pure tee trea oil. Don't! Spend loads of money on all this fancy stuff.

Put it in and get a knit comb take them out, the smell will cause them to move, proberly on to yourself or others so good to the whole family until there out the house. Did this every night before bedtime went after 3 odd weeks haven't seen them since (5 months on). Not meyself btw, little ones.

Beagle-eye
20th Mar 2008, 15:48
The schools that my kids go to are not allowed to send notes home telling parents that somebody (anybody) in the class is infested with nits. Its a PC thing and the rights of the nit infected must be protected :sad:

Only solution is to be on constant look out, use a nit comb, wash regular, use conditioner and tie long hair back when with other kids.

B-E

DX Wombat
20th Mar 2008, 15:50
I read somewhere that a simple cure was to plaster the child's head with mayonnaise (cheapo version) then wrap in cling film (just the hair-covered area :p ) and leave for several hours. You need to use a relly thick layer for it to be effective. This has the desired effect of suffocating the lice. Wash out the mayonnaise then rinse the hair with vinegar - this will soften the cement holding the nits to the hairs and make them easier to comb out. :ok: This treatment doesn't leave the child with hair smelling of chemicals and can be started and completed in an evening when the child comes home from school. Repeat every three days until clear. Try to persuade your daughter to keep her hair plaited when at school, or, at the very least, tied back.

phnuff
20th Mar 2008, 16:10
Phnufflet had this a couple of years ago and they were hell to get rid of because not all of the kids parents did anything about it and so they went & came back (repeat what seemed like 100 times). In the end, what did the trick was :

End of term so no reinfection from infested kids
An electric nit comb (fairly cheap)
Treatment for all of us (Mdm Phnuff & I as well) from this comb - even though we didnt think we had any, it was better safe than sorry
Once gone, regular brushing and use of lavender oil ( for the females) or conditioner (me)

Everytime the comb got one, there was a buzz which gave great pleasure

T'is sadly true. Schools can apparently send a note saying 'There is an outbreak of Nits' but are not allowed to even approach the parents of a child who has them.

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 16:15
In my day any spog with nit infestation was taken out into the school yard and beheaded by the Janitor,
Never did us any harm.
:uhoh:

phnuff
20th Mar 2008, 16:23
ay, well, in my own days, any kids with Nits were taken to a special school in a plastic bag in the middle of the fast lane of the M1, beaten to within an inch of their lives, and then beaten a bit nearer their lives with a sharpened toothbrush, then made to denounce their sins in a ducking stool

and you tell the kids of today and they would not believe you . . ..

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 16:29
Ah well,yer see there weren't no M1 in my day just a cobbled track all the way to Durham, for orse an carts, there weren't no connection to London as it were in a differen't country then.
:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2008, 16:53
Tried the mayonaise thing. Got rid of the nits but they hid in the salad. :}

Fatboy Ginge
20th Mar 2008, 20:49
Aah yes the dreaded infestation.

Littlest FBG always seemed to be catching them and the parents in her nursery class narrowed it down to one particular family. When I approached the class teacher she was aware of it but wasn't allowed to say anything to the parents.

Our response was a barrage of letters to the school head everytime that our kids came home all cooty which was twice a week at the worst point.

The local Boots ran out of the best nit combs which are the "Nitty Gritty" ones. They're made of metal and have a corkscrew style tooth. Absolutely superb when combined with Tea Tree oil conditioner and shampoo.

Littlest FBG has been clear now for the last 5 weeks and hopefully that's the end of it... doesn't take long for them to come back though so she has her hair washed and combed twice sometimes 3 times a week.

Mac the Knife
20th Mar 2008, 21:04
Any good "nit-i-cide" shampoo and a nit comb.

It's persistence as does the trick.

Courage (don't shave her head)

:ok:

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 21:12
Nits dwelling on my head now would have thin time of it.:(

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2008, 21:16
;) Nits on a desert survival course? :E

gingernut
20th Mar 2008, 23:38
All the best people get nits.

Frequent, systematic fine combing will eventually get rid of the problem.

It 'aint dangerous, more of a pain, comfort yourself in that the problem will eventually go away.

The only stuff that really works is malathion or permethrin, but balance the potential dangers of this poison against the inconvenience of short term friends.

Keep on combing:)

It's an old leaflet, but can't see anything too out of date....http://www.npc.co.uk/nurse_prescribing/pdfs/factsOfLice.pdf

tony draper
20th Mar 2008, 23:42
Sticking one's head in Microwave for a couple of minutes would cause the wee feckers some grief as well.
:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
21st Mar 2008, 07:05
Coal tar shampoo keeps the crawlies off the pack. Might work on the lesser human species too...

Ken Wells
21st Mar 2008, 11:34
A product isold in Superdrug called "Chinese Whispers" not only kills but stops the F*ckers breeding. Invented by a mate of mine.

It works

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 11:52
They ought to put that stuff in McDonalds....

S'land
21st Mar 2008, 13:31
When I were a lad, at Primary School admittedly over 50 years ago,the kids with nits had their heads shaved and their bald pates painted with potassium permanganate solution- which, as you probably know, is purple in colour.
Seemed to work though.

Same when I was at school (infants and juniors). Possibly one reason that it worked was that no other pupils would go anywhere near a shaved, purple headed "ex"-school friend so the nits were not transferred.

Schools never should have stopped the nit nurse.

Ken Wells
21st Mar 2008, 21:10
at immigration control would be more useful

airship
21st Mar 2008, 21:15
If all else fails, you could always consider giving her free reign on the internet for awhile. I understand that there are some individuals whose speciality is grooming adolescents...?! :uhoh: I'm only joking...oh for goodness' sake, it's Friday :{

Pontius Navigator
21st Mar 2008, 21:25
Nit comb every ones hair daily, use tea tree oil, wash all bed linen on 90 degrees, then comb hair again and again. Plait her hair and use an alice band impregnated with tea tree oil. Keep combing.

They stop eating childrens heads at about thirteen, then you only have to worry about boys and cigarettes.

Mrs PN
experienced mother of 2 nit-free daughters.

DX Wombat
21st Mar 2008, 23:20
They stop eating childrens heads at about thirteen,No they don't! I have nursed many adults with headlice. Some of their heads were heaving with the little horrors. I could never understand why they didn't appear to feel itchy.

Right Touch
21st Mar 2008, 23:23
is it me or does anyones else's head begin to itch when reading this thread ??:bored: