PDA

View Full Version : Help - Lets show this NIMBY what real aircraft noise is

WASALOADIE
20th Mar 2008, 09:53
Any of our fast jet friends out there fancy booking into LFA9 and giving this NIMBY some real aircraft noise to complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfyJKKM8blw

Bob Viking
20th Mar 2008, 10:11
...but what a b@llend!
I wish I could help you out with some real noise, but LFA 9 ain't for the likes of us!
BV:(

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 10:13
Most of the comments under the vid are in support of the RAF.

angels
20th Mar 2008, 10:19
Yes, there's some rather tasty suggestions to the old git. Can't be bothered to register and comment myself but others seem to be doing the job well!

Saw two wokkas circling Blackheath last week, wish I could see them every day!

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 10:22
Don't know what he hoped to achieve by venting his spleen on Five News.

Their viewer probably doesn't give a sh*t.

Bob Viking
20th Mar 2008, 10:35
I bet he was seen by literally TENS of people!!
BV:}

airborne_artist
20th Mar 2008, 10:35
I'd love to know when he retired to LFA9, and where from. That's not a local accent, I'm sure. Sounds like he didn't do him homework before he bought the house.

A mate moved in to a cottage about 5m S of Benson's extended centre-line, on a Sat in September. Imagine his surprise when the whole of the display for Families Day went overhead every few minutes. He's a total petrol head, so was thrilled, but his Mrs was less so. Once a neighbour explained it was once a year she was fine, but she thought at the outset it would be like that 7/7!

DX Wombat
20th Mar 2008, 10:41
There's an interesting collection of NIMBYs down at Shobdon too - the sort who buy a house only to discover there's an airfield, which they hadn't noticed when looking around the house, at the bottom of the garden. :confused: :rolleyes: Any and all noisy, the noisier the better, fast or slow Military aircraft are welcome to do low-approach go-arounds etc (maps showing sites requiring special attention can be supplied :E ) and if I'm there at the time, and you can manage to land and take off again I'll buy the bacon butties. :ok:
Many thanks to the Tornado pilots who flew through a couple of weeks ago - you made everyone's day. :ok:
I have only one complaint about fast, noisy aircraft - we don't see enough of you. ;)

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 10:47
It could be worse; I could move in next to him with my banjos :}

I have only one complaint about fast, noisy aircraft - we don't see enough of you.

Spot on Wom!! :ok:

There is occassionally a low flying "thing" early evening over my house near Swanton Morley. Trouble is, I can't see it and don't know what it is!!

Cheers

Whirls

I miss the Chinooks from Odiham/Benson :ok:

HEDP
20th Mar 2008, 11:09
Whirls,

Given a grid you could have many a visitor:ok:

HEDP

airborne_artist
20th Mar 2008, 11:11
I miss the Chinooks from Odiham/Benson

Whirls - the Chinooks only live at Odiham - <anorak> Benson is home to all Merlins, some Pumas, as well as the Thames Valley Air Ambulance BO105 and the Police EC135. </anorak>

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 11:18
Thanks A-A, I live near Dereham but am occassionally seen in Old Berkshire!!! :} :ok:

From my old vantage point near the Ridgeway, they looked as if they were heading for Benson :)

Cheers

Whirls

SOTV
20th Mar 2008, 11:19
Living close to Spadeadam we often have welcome visitors.

A few years ago we had a lot of activity in the valley behind the farm. Chinooks and other whirly things with all sorts of hardware slung beneath them. I think it was JMC time. I saw something fall off one of the visitors into the field behind the house and retrieved it the next day. Now the proud owner of a canvas drawstring bag with Mk.... gun sight cover stencilled onto it. Makes a cracking little kit bag.

:ok:

Windy Militant
20th Mar 2008, 11:22
Pardon a civvie butting in, but this reminds me of the Horsey type who rang up The CO at Alberts Nest asking if he could avoid flying over her house on a particular day as she was selling it and was having a veiwing day on that date. I think she was not far from the end of the cross wind runway. I believe the response was an intensive session of low level pallet drop training on that day! :ok:

My Mum lives in a low level training area in Wales and loves waving down at the A/C especially the C130s, cos they'll be flying over my house soon!

Best reply to a noise complaint " And these A/C did they have Red Stars on them......" :D

BEagle
20th Mar 2008, 11:24
Hmmm.... The tosseur on that TV clip confirms yet again that (ZZ Top excepted), one should always be suspicious of folk with facial fungus!

And no, this is not just pogonophobia on my part!

Cumulogranite
20th Mar 2008, 11:25
From the RAF Shawbury website

"The station's association with flying training goes back to June 1917, when No 29 (Flying Training) Wing and the Aeroplane Repair Section of the Royal Flying Corps were established, under the command of Major A W Tedder for a short period, on the site of today's airfield. Based at No 9 Training Depot Station, as Shawbury was then known, were Nos 10, 29 and 67 Squadrons operating Avro 504s, DH5As/5Bs, 130 Clergets, Bristol Scouts, Nieuports, Maurice Farman Shorthorns and, for advanced flying training, Sopwith Camels"

Now I appreciate that this person is an older gent, but he isn't that older. So, idiot of idiots, a few things to remember here.The RAF were here first. They train pilots to defend this nation, thus allowing you to complain in English and not German. Why did you buy a house near an airfield and then complain about aircraft noise? Perhaps you are that stupid?

Sorry I cannot accomodate you guys with a fast jet, but would a piper on the way to Sleap do?? Just post the exact location of this muppets house and I am sure the GA community will help!!

Ken Wells
20th Mar 2008, 11:26
Nutter,
Years ago at White Waltham we used to have an annual airshow, now superceded by an excellent members day.

We had a fly-by from the BBMF, always a joy to see.

a few mins later we had a noise complaint idiot on the phone complaining that the aircraft noise had ruined her family Bar-B-Que.

I happened to answer the phone which was on the bar in those days.

I replied very calmly that that was the sound of freedom.

"wha' do ya mean" she catawaled in her shrill Eastenders accent

I expalined that it was the members of our armed forces that sacrificed so much in 2 world wars that allowed her to complain in English not German, "now F*ck off!" there was silence at the other end of the phone, I hoped she'd had a heart-attack as I calmly replaced the receiver.

bombedup6
20th Mar 2008, 11:38
Maybe he ought to write "Piss Off Biggles" on his roof!

Seriously, though, I feel sorry for the poor guy. He doesn't sound local and he probably did come to the area not knowing Shawbury used it.
And listening to his laboured breathing he doesn't sound in the best of health. If I was in his shoes at his age I wouldn't want to pick up and leave either.

Perhaps a compromise with MoD could be arranged (maybe starting with earplugs).

noregrets
20th Mar 2008, 11:51
Police EC135 at Benson? This is state surveillance going too far! How on earth do they crew/fund it?

Chough
20th Mar 2008, 12:03
We'd welcome more jet noise here in Cornwall. When the Typhoon detachment was at St. Mawgan recently, locals were calling the Station to say how nice it was to have the RAF back and BBC Radio Cornwall had similar calls.

F-15 over the top low this morning plus a Tri Star. Welcome. More !!

BoeingMEL
20th Mar 2008, 12:04
Well said on behalf of all intelligent, open-minded, tolerant and GRATEFUL civilians.

This old Ppruner has the privilege to live in Ross on Wye (Herefordshire) where we get almost daily flypasts by Hawks, C130s plus the odd Tucano, Tornado and Typhoon. (Oh also have 22 Regiment's - you know who I mean! -firing-range on the outskirts of town)

The locals' support for all you mil guys (but not too much naval stuff here!) is boundless. Those of us with more than 2 brain-cells understand the importance of training... and that so many of your special skills are perishable.

Bless you all, keep up the good work and b*****x to the bearded one in Salop. Cheers bm:ugh:

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 12:09
I thank you!! Intelligent? I'd like to think so. Open-minded? Maybe! Grateful? Certainly. Tolerant? It's worse than that! I LIKE aircraft overflying my house. I don't just tolerate them, I'd encourage them! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

...and I miss the Jags from Colt.

peterperfect
20th Mar 2008, 12:39
Chough.
Concur, just had the F15s zipping around the Roseland 10 mins ago brightening up a fairly dull day. pp

ACW599
20th Mar 2008, 12:39
I really don't know what the silly old twit is complaining about. I live in LFA9 and don't see anything like enough military hardware. The Griffin isn't the most harmonious-sounding flying machine around, but there are others.

But I've pointed out on several previous threads that SJ 3282 1499 is completely impossible for military aircraft to find anyway, so there's no point complaining.

cornish-stormrider
20th Mar 2008, 12:45
Any chance of some hot and sweaty low level action just north of plymouth please?? I'm depressed and bored and a pair of something fast an pointy would really cheer me up. I can do "donations to sqn beercalls" in lieu of payment.

GIATT
20th Mar 2008, 13:19
I am off down to the Fleet Estuary for the weekend and I have to say that low flying aircraft are very much part of the attraction. Don't expect much running into the Freugh Range over a bank holiday though. :(

Over the years we have had amazing low level flypasts over our boats from buccaneers, lightnings, vulcans, and all the current stuff. This time last year we had a tornado break off a three ship formation to take a look at our rib, made the kids day when the pilot waved at us. Vulcan coming straight at you with the bomb doors opening still takes a lot of beating though. Can't understand why my boy wants to drive planes rather than jump out of them :)

peterperfect
20th Mar 2008, 13:43
Seems we need a Downing Street petition complaining about low flying noise...the lack of it I mean !

I refer to training/exercise flying of course, we know there is still lots of it going on due to real world OPS in the dusty parts. Respect to all those involved.

Emerson Cahooners
20th Mar 2008, 13:58
Bring on the jets for a week or so, I believe it's called re-calibration.

GreenZeroOneZero
20th Mar 2008, 14:06
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj122/vortex003/T75_1200707a.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

endplay
20th Mar 2008, 14:46
I'm glad he complained as it started this thread and that led me to u tube where I watched some great low flying vids.

canard68
20th Mar 2008, 15:11
The only time I enjoyed taking a noise complaint was in Brough tower on their families day back in the early 80s.A chap in a house near the tower was ranting down the phone about a Hawk which had just done a display, he said he was sending for the police, just as I was about to reply I saw the next item a pair of F4s flown by civil test pilots about to pass over this chaps house at 200ft and mach.99, as the wall of sound arrived at the tower I thought it best to terminate the call.

exscribbler
20th Mar 2008, 15:17
I wish I lived there! In South Yorkshire we hardly ever see any military aircraft, except perhaps the odd Nimrod on its way to Woodford.

Time was when we'd see Tornados, Harriers, A-10s and the occasional helicopter knocking about at reasonably low level, presumably to avoid the civil stuff heading for MIA. Now it's all airliners going to MIA, LBA and Robin Hood - which everyone calls Finningley anyway - and nary a sniff of the military except for the very infrequent transit of a SAR Sea King.:{

So let's have some, so that the people round here can see that flying isn't just Thomsonfly, Flybe and Ryanair.:hmm:

By the way, Beags, I have a beard, so it's not the badge you think it is.:D

allan909
20th Mar 2008, 15:24
Now if this bearded nimby is the same failed politician as noted in the p*st by bigbluecar then his penchant for guns and shooting is probably going to p*ss somebody else off with the noise that he makes.

There's nothing like crapping on your own doorstep!

Declaration of Interest - pilot and sporting shooter!!

Tappers Dad
20th Mar 2008, 15:50
Lokks like their not the only ones being NIMBY.

http://www.forres-gazette.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/2713/Watchdogs_reject_low_flying_presentation.html

MEMBERS of Forres Community Council turned down the offer of a visit from the RAF community relations officer, who wrote to the group expressing a desire to visit the town and give a talk on the need for low flying exercises......................

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 15:54
Sounds like they don't want to know or even consider listening to reason, that they're happy objecting to the jets and if they didn't have them to winge about, then they'd have to find something else.

Cheers

Whirls

exscribbler
20th Mar 2008, 16:05
There's more of them here!

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/latest/Watchdog-keeps-eye-on-low.3793023.jp (http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/latest/Watchdog-keeps-eye-on-low.3793023.jp)

Isn't it odd how Watchdogs are so often self-appointed to represent the minority?:hmm:

Last year Mrs Ex and I had a few days in Northumberland which quite fortuitously coincided (checked on the RAF Boulmer website) with an exercise or two in LFA12. The sight of Herks, Hawks, Tornados, etc. at 50 feet or so quite made my day; the locals didn't even look up...:bored:

She didn't think I was serious when I said we should move there.:}

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 16:28
Just photographed this in Shropshire...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/harrogate/dignan-1.jpg

Monty77
20th Mar 2008, 16:42
Harrogate

Good skills mate

I hope that tw*t Dignan gets to see it.

Arrse would certainly appreciate it.

Happy Easter :D

cargosales
20th Mar 2008, 17:12
Harrogate, you owe me a new keyboard !

Absolutely brilliant mate, PMSL

Al R
20th Mar 2008, 17:16
:D Almost choked Harrogate, thats so funny.

PS: The lad who Michelle Goodman saved could loop one end of a reel of fishing line around Dignan's scotum and then secure the other end to the tip of one of the blades. And then start it up. I bet I know who'd be making more noise then as he sees that slack getting taken up. C#nt.

Dr. Eg
20th Mar 2008, 17:20
I'd like more of you to do the south bound Manchester flow arrow, please. All of you, that is, except Bob Viking, who I wouldn't trust flying within 5 miles of my house....

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 17:20
He (Harrogate?) is a civilian journalist who has no say on the views of the Armed Forces and in particular the hard working boys and girls of the Support Helicopter squadrons.

Beg pardon? Why doesn't a civilian journalist have any say on the views of the Armed Forces? Do only military journalists have a say? Who does have a say or a right to expess an opinion?

We all have a "say"; isn't that the point of this (and other) threads? That we have the freedom to express our opinions?

Samuraimatt, in a single post you have said that Mr. Dignan's views are taken seriously and apologise for someone else's post yet still tell him (Mr. Dignan) to **** off? I'm afraid I can't see your post being any better or worse than the one you have just complained about :confused:

Cheers

Whirls

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 17:21
Well I disagree with the photograph Harrogate has posted. Whilst I don't agree with Mr Dignans views, he is entitled to them and Harrogate is a journalist who is putting the RAF Puma force in a bad light by posting his photoshop adjusted effort.

Woah there, chump. Don't be making excuses for me. You're running critically low on facts about me, pal.

I'm no journalist. I used to do some freelancing on various subjects related to my main job (somtimes civil aviation), but not military. I'm in marketing, dahling.

I'm entitled to my opinion. You can see it above. It's the picture of a helicopter with the flag. And I'm certainly not trying to speak on behalf of HM's Forces.

You should be ashamed for sucking up to eejits like him. If you do a bit of research on this chap, you'll see he's another bloody politician with an agenda. He's put himself in the firing line. You've chuckled at the political cartoons that lambast politicians in the papers before, so chuckle at my picture, God damn you!

That's an order.

matty_w
20th Mar 2008, 17:27
http://www.shropshirevmcc.co.uk/

So... On the one hand, he complains about noise from us. On the other, it would appear he LOVES to join in riding his quiet, efficient motorbike around along with his friends - not creating any noise at all!

Idiot - Anyone got a Lat Long? I'll be sure to say hi when i'm next on my way through at 50', or maybe the field next to him would work really well as the drop point for a CAD!

Sure he'll appreciate 27,000 Kgs of downwash at the end of his garden!

IDIOT

M_W

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 17:27
Well you haven't done very well with your latest effort and I am sure the Station Commander at Benson would agree

Well, thank f*ck he's not my client or I'd be starving this month.

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 17:40
I can't be bothered to explain clothes line person

What? :ugh:

Cheers

Whirls

soddim
20th Mar 2008, 18:55
Why is it that almost every thread on this website starts with perfectly reasonable people making perfectly reasonable observations and degenerates quickly into rude and uncalled for abuse.

Come on ppruners - get some manners.

harrogate
20th Mar 2008, 19:34
Would you say that this particular thread was ever reasonable? Judging by title, I'd say not. It's more of a light-hearted take on an issue where consensus will never be achieved.

I disagree with your assertion that 'almost every' thread on here degenerates into abuse. I find the vast majority of the threads in this forum to be thorough, well balanced and passionately argued. There's a varying degree of humour chucked into the fray, as there is in life.

I learn a lot on this forum, but I didn't expect to learn too much from this thread when I read the title. And to be honest, I don't feel my input's any more offensive than Mr Dignan's NIMBY attitude towards military training.

You can bet your arse this chap's a NOTE as well as a NIMBY. If he's not a NOTE, then he's a hypocrite. But being a NOTE and NIMBY is equally unreasonable. Either way, he's pretty naive or selfish. Or both.

Jobza Guddun
20th Mar 2008, 19:38
Where was the uncalled for abuse then?

gar170
20th Mar 2008, 19:45
I like this one

http://uk.youtube.com/user/murphy666

what a sight

4mastacker
20th Mar 2008, 19:49
Could it be arranged for 558 to do some test flights over that part of the world?

Cumulogranite
20th Mar 2008, 20:07
XH 558. Yes. Dashed good idea.

We are not, per se, abusing Mr Dignan. What we are doing is standing up for aviation in general and the military side of things in particular.

The reason is simple. The military guys (present) have a tough job to do in Iraq & Afghanistan as well as other theatres in the world. They need to train for it. Whatever the merits, right & wrongs of these operations, the dact remains that our armed services are doing a job on our behalf, as a country, and we should support them in that task. this means keeping quiet about training.

The military guys (past) are owed a massive debt from all of us. They are the reason that we don't speak German today!!! Words cannot express the disdain I feel for Mr Dignan and his complete lack of understanding of the fact that without those guys winning us the freedom of the skies, there would be no freedom today. Those guys also had to train, but I can guarentee that had he complained about training noise in 1941 he would have gone to the tower.

The modern military pilot is upholding the traditions and freedom hard fought for and hard won.

So, Mr Dignan, the airfield was there long before you were even a glimmer in your fathers eye. We have freedom in this country. We also have an exceedingly good armed force in all 3 services. Please respect them and the job that they do and keep you small minded and quite petty opinions to yourself.
Thank You

PS, Still waiting for the co-ordinates.

soprano54
20th Mar 2008, 20:11
Whirls - the Chinooks only live at Odiham - <anorak> Benson is home to all Merlins, some Pumas, as well as the Thames Valley Air Ambulance BO105 and the Police EC135. </anorak>

But you actually see more 'Chinnys' flying IVO Benson cos' of the lack of Merlins that are fit!!!:ugh:

SOTV
20th Mar 2008, 20:21
PS, Still waiting for the co-ordinates.

52. 47' 38.79N 2. 38' 23.61W

Should pop you quite close to matey.

:}

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 20:25
XH 558. Yes. Dashed good idea.

Aw no - dashed poor idea :} Why should some ungrateful and unappreciative idjit get the pleasure when there are many more non-nimbys who'd welcome the sight. And sound.

Cheers

Whirls

PS- thanks Soprano; thought me memory was playing tricks on me in my dotage.

samuraimatt
20th Mar 2008, 21:45
Now then, whilst the mods were busy deleting my post I still disagree with the photo of a Puma with a flag beneath it telling a named member of the public to fcuk off. Now whilst they and Harrogate must think this is the best way to show the RAF and the Puma force in the best light, it isn't.
Harrogate is not a representative of RAF Benson and as such has no right to post such a photgraph. Whilst not on the same scale just think of all those photgraphs that came out of Iraq showing the Armed Forces in a bad light.

I expect better from you Harrogate. I am very dissapointed.

Whirlygig
20th Mar 2008, 22:23
Samuraimatt, are you still disappointed having revisited Harrogate's photograph? :)

Cheers

Whirls

alwayslookingup
20th Mar 2008, 22:38
Re Post 39 and Post 62, Forres Gazette. The Old Fat One, you are correct sir. One of the Community Councillors retired to Forrres from Kinloss in the early nineties after his 22 as a caterer in the Air Force? I seem to remember he qualified for a disability pension due to deafness, having worked in so many noisy kitchens and being subject to aircraft noise during his long and distinguished career in catering! Is that the one you are talking about with knowledge of the kipper fleet, or are there two of them. Any one else out there remember him?

Cyclone733
20th Mar 2008, 22:44
Are the Yanks in practise for a visit to this blokes house?

http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/news/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED20%20Mar%202008%2017%3A39%3A34%3A573

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7306883.stm

WASALOADIE
20th Mar 2008, 23:23
Harrogate - I Thank you Sir, for the picture, absolutely priceless.
I think it says what a lot of us are thinking and wish we'd thought of it first.

I can only hope that Mr Dignan has an unfortunate accident on his bike one day and he requires the resources of an Air Ambulance. Might make him appreciate helicopter a bit more.

For those who require the location is his abode. It is approx 5 miles ESE of Welshpool in a valley running in a NE/SW direction. There is a water feature named Marto Pool approx 1NM SW of the village. Village name of Brockton. But beware of the Choppers practiceing GH in the area.

To all who have posted on this topic I thank you for your comments.

Best Wishes: WASALOADIE

harrogate
21st Mar 2008, 02:08
Now then, whilst the mods were busy deleting my post I still disagree with the photo of a Puma with a flag beneath it telling a named member of the public to fcuk off. Now whilst they and Harrogate must think this is the best way to show the RAF and the Puma force in the best light, it isn't.
Harrogate is not a representative of RAF Benson and as such has no right to post such a photgraph. Whilst not on the same scale just think of all those photgraphs that came out of Iraq showing the Armed Forces in a bad light.

I expect better from you Harrogate. I am very dissapointed.

You really must learn to stop apologising on my behalf, honey. I have every right to post that photo. You're talking nonsense about 'rights' and you know you are. You're having real difficulty handling yourself in the absence of hierachy and rank, aren't you? Do you want to talk about it?

I'm not acting in the interests of anyone but me. I'm a member of the public. Why shouldn't I be allowed to talk about another member of the public?

And don't patronise, sweetheart. I'm not trying to impress you, no matter how hell-bent you try and install some kind of authority over me. Your body language is all wrong, love. You're failing miserably.

If you don't like the thread... do I really need to tell you what to do?

Krystal n chips
21st Mar 2008, 08:06
Whilst it would be a very laudible idea to acquaint said NIMBY with the RAF's capability to generate noise at low level, in this case it would be a futile excercise as I am sure he is astute enough to reciprocate with the "aggrieved helpless victim" tactic......so beloved of the species as a whole. Neither would a "hearts and minds" or appeasement approach have any effect....the ego would never allow this to happen anyway.......however.....one thing the RAF has always had in abundance is the number of devious minds it contains ( albeit usually for a combination of self indulgence and screwing the system without actually taking it on ;) ) so I would suggest those so inclined have a look at the "small print" as it were......and apply their minds accordingly.....there's always more than one way to skin a cat after all.

Just a thought from, perish the idea ( for some ) a "more than happy to see and hear anything at low level Guardian reader".....

RJ Kanary
21st Mar 2008, 08:17
I was thinking of this thread [ And grinning from ear to ear. :) ] yesterday as a pair of CH 53s overflew my humble abode battering the air as they headed due East.
That was both a musical and visceral experience as they lumbered past. Kind of disappointed that they didn't fly back this way. :(

Boslandew
21st Mar 2008, 08:46
Ken Wells

What a brave little man you were, Ken, swearing at a woman anonymously over the phone from the safety of the bar. Teach her to speak with an Eastenders accent.

Boslandew
AKA David Carpenter

Mad_Mark
21st Mar 2008, 10:31
In reference to a good Lat/Long I think the following may be a little bit closer to where you may like to visit 52° 38'24.15"N 003° 01'18.11"W (Vine Cottage, Worthern, Shropshire) :ok:

In all fairness to Mr Dignan though, his house is some 18.5 miles as the crow (or Squirrel) flies from RAF Shawbury, and on the other side of Shrewsbury, so it is not as if he moved in next to the perimeter fence or even inside the MATZ.

However, I do think it very hypocritical of him to complain about aircraft noise whilst, apparently, not only being into (noisy) shooting but appears to have had some connection (owner/employee?) to a gun shop in Shrewsbury (Ebrall Brothers)!

Also, if he is a member of the Shropshire Section of the Vintage Motorcycle Club (again as it appears to be the case) then not only is he adding yet more noise to the 'peaceful' Shropshire countryside but he may also be interested in the club night on 24th September when an M. Pearson will be talking about his/her experience in the RAF :D I do hope they mention the necessity for low flying training during the talk :E

MadMark!!! :mad:

harrogate
21st Mar 2008, 11:22
Also, if he is a member of the Shropshire Section of the Vintage Motorcycle Club (again as it appears to be the case) then not only is he adding yet more noise to the 'peaceful' Shropshire countryside but he may also be interested in the club night on 24th September when an M. Pearson will be talking about his/her experience in the RAF I do hope they mention the necessity for low flying training during the talk

Aye, I wonder how he justifies his jollies over to the Isle of Man for rallies with his motorbike club, because that sounds like the ultimate act of descend/exploit/leave without a care, to me.

The witch hunt is on.

DX Wombat
21st Mar 2008, 11:27
it is not as if he moved in next to the perimeter fence or even inside the MATZ.I had been trying to remember why the name "Brockton" was so familiar to me and then I remembered - I pass through the place quite frequently towing the tin tent. Not only is he not inside the MATZ, but unless there are two Brocktons in Shropshire, he isn't even in the AIAA!

gar170
21st Mar 2008, 15:54
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/z.jpg

If they look this good i dont mind if they low fly over my house in fact she could land there any time.:O

Nimman
21st Mar 2008, 16:05
I think you will find that all 3 Community Councillor "worthies" mentioned are ex RAF of different trades and ranks, groundcrew and aircrew, plus along with the Findhorn and Kinloss Community Council member mentioned. I don't think they have a problem with the Nimrods flying around, nor most of the inhabitants of Forres.

FFly
21st Mar 2008, 18:45
If you read the latest ramblings in the Shrewsbury Chronicle, you will find a letter from Mr Dignan who now says that" If the site( RAF Shawbury) closes as it should, and is turned into a hi-tech business park it would provide many more jobs and generate more revenue" !!!!

The letter gives an address at Vine Cottage Worthen. A quick look on the Royal Mail site gives a post code SY5 9JH, and Multimap shows that this is a fairly isolated house, and easily identified......if anyone should wish to go and take a look from above! :ok:

SALAD DODGER
21st Mar 2008, 19:10
Postcode district: SY5 9
Grid ref: SJ309051
Lat: 52:38:24N (52.64006)
Lon: 3:01:18W (-3.02172)

This should help you avoid the bugger!

Mad_Mark
21st Mar 2008, 21:02
What? You mean as I posted in #72 at 10:31 this morning :D

SALAD DODGER
21st Mar 2008, 21:34
Let me think...........Yes

Cumulogranite
22nd Mar 2008, 10:30
Great, we have a lat/long. Now then I think that we all also need to know the height of his cottage above mean sea level, in order that he may enjoy the finest in aviation whilst the pilots remain clear of rule 5 if you know what I mean.

Seriously, just who the hell does the pillock think he is? The RAF have fought for this country for 90 years, and will continue to do so. I appreciate that not everyone is turned on by aviation as we all are, be fair this is a pilots forum, but even a right minded member of society will appreciate that military staff have to be trained. Might be interesting to find out what this turd does/did for a living

Nimbys come and go, and in a few weeks he will have acheived his hidden agenda and will go away, as they all seem to do. The problem is that unless we fight back, there will be even less airspace available to us all, military and civil. Juat look at any given airfield and look at the noise abatement circuits and procedures. It is getting harder and harder to commit aviation due to people like Mr Dignan and we are finally losing the freedom of the skies fought for so hard in WW2 and defended so hard for since by mil guys and girls.

So, with this in mind, who fancies posting on chanel 5 news, and writing to the SALOP post, or whatever rag is ginving him houserrom, all about how these dreadful old motorcycles poe a threat to aviation in the area, as the noise means we cannot hear our engines and causes us to lose concentration in our flying. They should be stopped!!!!

Mad_Mark
22nd Mar 2008, 11:05
Great, we have a lat/long. Now then I think that we all also need to know the height of his cottage above mean sea level, in order that he may enjoy the finest in aviation whilst the pilots remain clear of rule 5 if you know what I mean.

488' - or there abouts ;)

DX Wombat
22nd Mar 2008, 13:14
in order that he may enjoy the finest in aviation whilst the pilots remain clear of rule 5 if you know what I mean.QFE for the Dead Sea, or, better still, the bottom of the Dead Sea (provided it wouldn't endanger those nice fast, noisy aircraft) might prove useful. :E :E :E
Apparently there are two Brocktons in Shropshire. The one I had in mind was the one near Cosford.

Cim Jartner
22nd Mar 2008, 14:54
At the risk of sticking my neck out - maybe our "We are right, these nimbys are t055ers" attitude may need a little calming down. Although I fully agree that HM forces have an absolute right to train as required and low flying is an essential skill that needs constant practice; upsetting a complainant purely to show him "What real aircraft noise is" is not going to do anyone any favours. I agree that his views are particularly short sighted, nimbyistic (I may have invented a word there!!) and ill thought through - however public slagging of this guy by supposed professional military aircrew is not making the best case for us either. Antagonising this bloke will only give his nimby campaign more reason to shout louder and soon enough another red blob will appear on the LFA9 map. While he may not have any genuine concerns for his complaint - enough visits to his area, backed up with the kind of 'proof' that he is being targetted (eg this thread) and it will be another nail in the coffin - particularly when we have a government who will do anything to look like its appeasing the busybodies.

I am not saying that what has gone before this thread is wrong - merely that the consequences may hit us all in the face!!!
:)

soddim
22nd Mar 2008, 18:55
There is much in Cim Jartner's post to think about. It is also of note that this NIMBY is not completely new to politics and he obviously thinks he gains some sympathetic ears when he is so outspoken in his criticism of the MOD.

This latter point is something we all need to be aware of. Unfortunately, the population at large identify responsibility for the Iraq conflict as the fault of the military and that is why this chap thinks he will get the ear of the electorate when he criticises the MOD.

We all know he is way off track with his comments but we need to make sure that we do not add to his doubtful credentials by careless and ill thought-out responses.

maggioneato
22nd Mar 2008, 19:03
I'm not professional military aircrew, so can I slag him off? The man is an @rsehole. I'm due to do some PFL's next week, wonder where the best place to do them would be? Not below 500' of course.

DX Wombat
22nd Mar 2008, 23:22
soddim & CJ, I don't think anyone is actually being serious with their plans to overfly the place, planning to do so is just a good way of letting off steam safely without actually doing anything to harm or annoy the silly man.

Whirlygig
22nd Mar 2008, 23:51
True DX but I was being serious about my banjo :E

Cheers

Whirls

DX Wombat
23rd Mar 2008, 00:24
I was being serious about my banjo Nah, you wouldn't be that cruel to a banjo :) ........... would you? :uhoh: :\

Whirlygig
23rd Mar 2008, 00:31
Yeah you're right DX, he doesn't deserve my rendition of Foggy Mountain Breakdown! Even played as badly as I play it!

Cheers

Whirls

papajuliet
23rd Mar 2008, 00:54
There's a field at the back of my home next to Shugborough. Shawbury are very welcome to use that [not that I own it!]
Delighted to see the Griffin which flew very low past my garden a couple of weeks ago - I did wave - I THINK I had a wave in return although the pilot did seem to have some deformity in his fingers.

Pontious a Pirate
27th Mar 2008, 11:33
:mad:

Here is another one to have a look at!!!

Located next to Branscombe Airfield, East Devon. Lat and Long please ;)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z231/Seaking111/paircraft102.jpg

I was considering putting this up for debate and then discovered this delightful thread!!!

:E

Aircraft noise: Life beneath the blight path (From The Sunday Telegraph, March 2, 2008)

Plans to cut aircraft noise are good news for some. For others, it will only get worse, says Graham Norwood

·Have your say: Has your home been affected by aircraft noise? (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2008/03/02/paircraft102.xml#form)

Life may be about to become much more peaceful in parts of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Essex from next year - and some lucky owners could find their homes worth 10 per cent more as a result. The windfalls would emerge from plans by National Air Traffic Services to redraw flight paths into three airports in south-east England.

NATS' proposals, out for consultation until May and likely to come into effect next year, alter routes for aircraft stacking before landing at Luton, Stansted and London City airports. The plans also try to cut noise where aircraft from several south-east airports, including Heathrow, converge and turn at the start of long-haul flights.
Ian Hall, NATS' director of operations, says the proposals will reduce the number of people affected by noise from departing aircraft under 4,000ft by 20 per cent.
Winners include Brookmans Park, Hatfield, Hitchin and Royston in Hertfordshire, Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire, Southend in Essex and Sudbury in Cambridgeshire. The losers are chiefly more rural areas including villages near Bishop's Stortford in Hertfordshire, along the Blackwater Estuary, north of St Albans and in south Bedfordshire.
"The impact of aircraft noise on values is often exaggerated, but in sensitive locations, house prices are affected by 10 per cent," admits Tim Trembath of Mullucks Wells, an estate agency selling homes from the northern edge of Greater London to the east coast.

Trembath says he can routinely see 17 aircraft at a time at different heights and distances from his home in the Essex village of Great Dunmow, but says the impact of noise lessens as people live longer in an area. "We have some buyers who don't live locally wanting a home with no noise at all from aircraft and we've a few spots in that category. But others who live in the region are much more used to aircraft and they buy homes in what other people might regard as noisy locations, with no complaint at all."

The difficulty for the next year, he says, is that people wanting to buy a home in the eastern half of southeast England are likely to defer a purchase until a conclusion has been reached.
What is beyond doubt is that most airports have seen an increase in complaints from neighbouring home owners. The most recent data shows noise complaints at East Midlands airport soared from 4,500 in 2005 to 7,978 in 2006; at Luton they tripled in that period. This is no doubt due to the boom in budget airline travel, with more new routes to regional airports opening every year. But concerns over aircraft noise are not restricted to large airports. Across the UK, there are about 1,750 rural airstrips - sometimes little more than fields - and these are getting busier. Action 4 Airports, a website campaigning for small airstrips, says there are 30,000 people in the UK with private pilots' licences, and this figure is rising. A4A says this almost inevitably creates disputes such as the one raging in the east Devon village of Branscombe, where a landing strip has existed for more than 20 years.

Its new owner, David Hayman - a financial adviser who flies to and from his London office - is permitted to use it 28 days a year but has applied for consent for over 500 takeoffs or landings a year.

"That's an average of about one and a half movements a day, with the peak noise lasting eight seconds and affecting literally just one or two homes," says David. "The opposition comes from just one or two people who built their homes or moved in long after the airfield arrived, and now claim they speak for the entire village," he insists. :D

David claims seven village jobs, four at an aircraft restoration firm and three at a company making aircraft covers, rely on the airfield. On top of that, the previous owner raised £110,000 for charity by holding an annual summer air day and David wants to continue that tradition.

But next door neighbour Lynn Hall says most of the activity at the field occurs at weekends when people want to relax, and she fears the village has become less attractive for potential buyers. :ugh:

"The number of flights has increased in the past three or four years. We also have a lot of planes practising manoeuvres. One took off and landed every few minutes for an hour, and people are beginning to be very worried about their safety," she says. "There have been two accidents in the past nine months, one with an aircraft stalling on take off and ending up in a tree on the edge of the airstrip. If you'd wanted to buy in the village, would you still do so after knowing that?" asks Lynn. :mad:

The issue of aircraft noise raises the blood pressure as well as the decibels, and the problem appears to be getting worse across the UK. Professional buying agents, who short-list suitable homes for affluent clients, say they now routinely have to check for private aircraft flights from nearby properties when looking for a country house or rural estate.
Passenger numbers from large UK airports are predicted to expand from 180 million now to 475 million by 2030. Regional airports, increasingly dominated by commercial airlines, have cut space for private planes while increasing landing and storage costs for small aircraft. The result is that private pilots increasingly use these small rural airfields. Soon, it seems, many more of us will be living under a flight path.

·For more information: www.nats.co.uk/TCNconsultation (http://www.consultation.nats.co.uk/), has a video illustrating new flight paths and a postcode search to check proposed flight paths and heights over houses.

The website www.uk-airport-news.info (http://www.uk-airport-news.info/) carries news on anti-noise campaigns.

The affordability index
Average house price in each region (in descending order)
1. North England: £207,663
2. Yorkshire & Humberside: £213,877
3. East Midlands: £219,384
4. Wales: £229,136
5. West Midlands: £230,375
6. East Anglia: £260,702
7. Scotland: £263,655
8. South West: £267,475
9. South East: £316,725
10. Greater London: £411,981

Personally, speaking bring them on!!! I like nothing more than belting around at 50" :ok:

ShyTorque
27th Mar 2008, 12:31
I like nothing more than belting around at 50"

50 inches? Gear up or down? Or is that on a bicycle? :)

DX Wombat
28th Mar 2008, 01:31
Thank you to the assorted Tornados, Hercules and Pumas which have enlivened the past few days and nights at Shobdon - you have been much appreciated. :ok: That includes the Hercules with the noisy engines which woke me at 01:00-ish on Thursday morning. :)

Pontious a Pirate
28th Mar 2008, 03:43
;)

50' = A little over four feet, sounds about right to me!

Wheels up of course, i dont want to have clean of the mud or sand later :E

Or wheels down if you want to try this!!! :ok:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z231/Seaking111/T-6_3.jpg

And my bike has a flat tyre anyway!

clunckdriver
28th Mar 2008, 11:56
A few years ago we had a twit on a lake North of us complain that the noise of the CL215 fighting a fire about three NM from his cotage woke him up in the morning, gues which lake was used next Spring for "scoop an bomb" training? you got it, six 215s and two new 415s scooping and bombing for a whole week ,the rest of the lake residents just loved the show , not so the nimby.