PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi Jet Pilot music video (merged)

Fg Off Max Stout
20th Mar 2008, 03:13
check out this quality banter from the Kiwis. Good work! (FJ mates look away now!):ok:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo&eurl=http://widget-3e.slide.com/widgets/yoYtWraps.swf

The Nr Fairy
20th Mar 2008, 06:37
For the uninitated, is this (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ3xScd0VqU) the Dos Gringos one ?

If not, pointers please (but without funny blue and red planes on the ends).

Tourist
20th Mar 2008, 07:21
No, this one
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iM3vLer6YFg&feature=related

Black 'n Yellar
21st Mar 2008, 19:58
A very funny song here by a Kiwi AF pilot. Apparently there is a bit of trouble from on high out there about it!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Rg5N_t4aM

Pontius Navigator
21st Mar 2008, 20:23
Obviously very popular.

And certainly first class. :)

BYALPHAINDIA
21st Mar 2008, 20:28
Very Good.:rolleyes::zzz:

SOTV
21st Mar 2008, 20:43
Excellent.

:D

Tourist
21st Mar 2008, 20:51
B n Y.
:D:D:D:D:D

Wiley
22nd Mar 2008, 03:23
Unable to stop laughing, (well done to the sheep shaggers - an excellent effort; I particularly liked the wings tattooed/pasted onto the bare chest - and the blow up sheep), I sat wife and daughter down on front of it... and got that raised eyebrow (you know the one?) from she-who-must-be-obeyed as she said "You're not feeling just a little uncomfortable watching this?"
"Moi?" I said, "But it's a pisstake on knuckleheads (fast jet flyers to those who need a translation)."
"Hmmmm..." was all she said in reply.

Daughter was of no help.

Bloody wimmen. Sorry, 'wummen'.

(And what's the bet the singer in the flying suit is actually an LAC erk?)

Runaway Gun
22nd Mar 2008, 08:21
Sitting in the RHS of the Huey in flight, I doubt that he's an LAC.

Trojan1981
22nd Mar 2008, 09:58
:D:D:D:D:}:} Classic, laughing so much it hurts! Even my Fiance laughed at this one!

Nomad72
24th Mar 2008, 15:38
Amazing cultual similarities!

Farfrompuken
24th Mar 2008, 19:34
Pure Geeeeenius!

So True!:E

Andu
25th Mar 2008, 03:13
Someone said the NuZulund brass were not amused. Any reports on how they've expressed their non amusement?

Seriously, the bloke should be given a wild card entry into the finals of "Kiwi Idol" (if there is such a shee... I mean beast).

marty1468
25th Mar 2008, 03:22
Hi Chopper7,
you should have the option to start a new thread at the top left of the section you are in ie: military, jet blast, dununda etc. If not i would think that your pages aren't loading up properly. I would delete your history, Temporary Internet Files, Cookies etc then start again and it should come up okay.

Marty :ok:

tinpis
25th Mar 2008, 06:39
Was Kiwi Chick in that? :uhoh:

EmpireOne
27th Mar 2008, 00:15
:E Just got sent this link. Let the banter begin - what have you got knucks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo

DSAA
27th Mar 2008, 01:24
Already been done here...

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=318969

Still a quality video though:D

Octane
27th Mar 2008, 08:45
Hilarious.

Bit concerned though the boys remembered to pack a blow up sheep for their trip to East Timor....
Or is that something you organise after being in a remote place for a while?!

Octane

Heliringer
27th Mar 2008, 08:58
Outstanding:D

Arm out the window
27th Mar 2008, 09:30
And he's not shearing her with anyone!

(well, someone had to say it!) :)

Samuel
28th Mar 2008, 23:40
I heard the sheep was provide by the Skippies, and did anyone notice 3 Sqn were awarded top operational squadron honours in East Timor, meaning the :D: Skippies came last?:ok:

justcurious
28th Mar 2008, 23:57
So, a stupid question... how would I copy the music off of that file, so I could play it over and over and over at Ops?
Just Curious

Andu
29th Mar 2008, 01:34
I heard the sheep was provide by the Skippies, and did anyone notice 3 Sqn were awarded top operational squadron honours in East Timor, meaning the : Skippies came last?Well what do you **** well expect, Samuel? If you're comparing helo squadrons, the Kiwis are Air Force, the Skippies are Grunts. That should be a given.

Back to the subject in hand :):):):), a truly excellent effort. I really hope the stories of the Kiwinese Air Force top brass getting upset and looking for arses to kick are untrue and that in fact, they saw the humour in it. I have sent it on to ex-knucklehead friends... but funnily enough, haven't had a lot of acknowledgements. Funny that.

Blogsey
4th Apr 2008, 05:58
and the worst part....it's an annoyingly catchy tune.......good job.

herbaceous
4th Apr 2008, 10:21
As a ex Kiwi FJ guy, I found this video totally....HILARIOUS. I dont see why there would have to be a which hunt over this, AAF in NZ is dead and we have all moved on. I think it displays excellent Esprit D Corp and lets face it you have to have a sense of humour flying around in a Huey that old.
Top marks to all involved, what is the brass really going to do, take away your birthday? There is a worldwide shortage of SH helicopter pilots, I wouldn't be too worried if I were in there shoes. Stand up to them lads.

vortex-ring
4th Apr 2008, 23:07
Awsome:D
How do you know a jet pilot's in the room???
Because he will tell you!!

bigdog1971
6th Apr 2008, 09:54
funny to see it has now broken out into the Internet main stream.. Well done Shanks.
I had the pleasure of working closely (the Aust Avn Tp Comd when he was the Kiwi Tp Comd) with this chap. He truely is a funny bastard.
The Kiwis held a farwell dinning in/out night towards the end of their tour and at the end of the night we had a Kangaroo court (Kiwi equiv would be the Kiwi Court I suppose) and Shanks was challenged to come up with a new tune after the crowd selected the song topic and type of tune. The theme selected was Blackhawks and Blues music, after about 60 secs of pondering he spat out about a 6 min tune that was so bloody funny he had us all on our backs. He is a very quick thinker and can play a gitar..
Only wish I had filmed that one as well.

Overbank
6th Apr 2008, 23:34
Anyone seen the piss-take of the early 1990's documentary "pigs can fly"... also belly-achingly funny if you can get your hands on it.

Booger
7th Apr 2008, 00:01
Oh man, Overbank (or anyone for that matter) can you PLEEEEEEEEEEASE post a link for the "Pigs @rse" p!ss-take of "Pigs can fly".

I haven't seen that for ages. Abso-friggin-lutely hilarious!!

Why is that trashies/wokkas/fish-heads get all the funny b@stards & jet-boys get the "My dog, he has no nose. Really? How does he smell?? TERRIBLE, buddum-bum TISH!!!" types.:}

Overbank
7th Apr 2008, 00:46
Booger..

I wish I still had it. I know most of the blokes who star in it (although their identities are well concealed by the old Alpha helmets!) and they became Herc legends for their efforts. Their bograt status at the time helped them to avoid any serious repercussions from the brass at the time too - some good advice for any boggies thinking about making a p!ss-take flying video.

As for:

"Why is that trashies/wokkas/fish-heads get all the funny b@stards & jet-boys get the "My dog, he has no nose. Really? How does he smell?? TERRIBLE, buddum-bum TISH!!!" types"

Thats because the trashies, wokkas and fish heads do their jobs for real (often where the lead is flying) - hence there is no chip-on-the-shoulder and subsequently a sense of humour. I'm sure if the knucks were allowed to leave the 50 Tacan training area they'd grow a sense of humour too.

....and just to pre-empt the knucks out there who are about to defend themselves, if a single post is made about the p!ss weak coupla months that the Aussie fighters spent flying CAP over a rear base in the middle east a few years ago, I will dead-set vomit onto my keyboard.

Naked_recommiting
8th Apr 2008, 03:31
Ha! Either they are all walking around disgruntled, or they are a little too busy mantaining air superiority in their 50 tacan bit of sky... or they are maintaining a capability and flying a jet some of us just get to dream about (and sing along too).

I'm sure none of the knucks will respond, this arguement is best left for the trashies/ACO's/GCI's who 'do the job for real'.

Keep up the good work! (Top vid NZ by the way)

L J R
8th Apr 2008, 05:26
....Does Antipodean Alligator have a copy of said clip...?

DutchRoll
9th Apr 2008, 10:48
It's racking up the youtube viewing numbers now, and it's also rapidly doing the rounds here on the Mainland!

There are a couple of comments there oblivious to the fact that it's just a hilarious and good-natured p1ss-take of the Antipodean fast-jet world (and let's face it - they take the p1ss out of us too, so it cuts both ways! ;) ) but I think most people get it.

Bloody great work Shanks. :D I know for a fact there is a growing band of admirers of your work, including at least a two-star here who still has a sense of humour.

Hope you don't mind that I captured & decoded it off Youtube. Wife (ex RAAF) loves it so much she used up half of our download allocation playing it! Now she can just stick it on repeat through mediaplayer.

kiwi chick
20th Apr 2008, 21:03
Hahahahaha Tinpis!

(It was me... :O )

Just kidding... but as for the comments about being upset... it's being highly praised in my little corner of the RNZAF! :ok:

Haven't laughed like that in a while :eek:

SunderlandMatt
21st Apr 2008, 11:57
Gleaming! Laughed myself to tears! Wonder if he's still doing requests.

stevestone1978
8th May 2008, 10:17
Just found the song on iTunes. It's by a band called Airtime and the song is called Jet Pilot. iTunes - iPod - flight cell - inflight entertainment. Oh yeah. Maybe it will end up on Qantas interactive

komac2
22nd May 2008, 02:48
Cheeky song soars online
Email a Friend (http://www.stuff.co.nz/emailafriend/4556718a6003.html) | Printable View (http://www.stuff.co.nz/print/4556718a6003.html) | Have Your Say (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4085876a4621.html)
http://www.stuff.co.nz/images/725258.jpg JONATHAN CAMERON/Manawatu Standard
INTERNET SMASH: Rock-star pilot Tim Costley has found international stardom as a one-man satirical band.

By CHRISTIAN BONNEVIE - Manawatu Standard | Thursday, 22 May 2008

He's a pilot. A Huey pilot-turned-international singing sensation.

But Tim Costley never intended it that way.
Blessed with a quick mind and incurable sense of humour, the Ohakea-based Iroquois helicopter pilot ad-libbed a song in an Australian mess hall that has become an internet hit.
The inspired music video Jet Pilot burst on to You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BzU1sYPjzo) and has since been viewed more than 140,000 times - sparking global fits of laughter.
But it didn't end there. Fans demanded more.
Costley, who likes to think of himself as "a duo performing solo", responded by making Jet Pilot available for download on Apple's iTunes online site and set up a Facebook page under his new band name Airtime.
Like two bogeys dropping out of the sun, he never saw fame coming.
But, given his talent, it was really only a matter of time before the boy, whose musical prowess was shaped through Palmerston North's All Saints Church, found his niche.
Witty banter is his forte.
Costley said it all began in Townsville last August when a group of Australian fighter pilots asked him to sing a song about them.
"I consider it more of a documentary than a song," he said. "They're an easy target. But, yeah, I just made it up as I went. It's all satirical. There's always been plenty of banter between Huey and jet pilots. Unfortunately for them we're better looking and much smarter."
On return to New Zealand he recorded the song on his computer.
But it wasn't until Costley deployed to East Timor that he decided to make the accompanying music video for 3 Squadron's Academy Awards night.
The finished "Oscar"-winning product was shot on a hand-held camcorder, dominating his spare time for a month.
Despite its brilliance, Costley said it wasn't made for the internet. An Australian comrade put it online and the fan base quickly grew.
It's even possible they might have more to look forward to.
Costley said he had branched out from "church music" to "inner-man" Kenny with his "sheep music" - inspired by the songs of David Brent.
Other titles he has up his sleeve are Yak Song and Give a Man a Fish, the latter a twisted political commentary on Africa.
He has also starred in the series Airwatch, where Top Gun meets Baywatch.
Now Costley hopes to use the internet to recover the $35 it cost to make the Jet Pilot video.
He gets about 30c of the $1.79 fans pay to download the song. "So if I get a couple of hundred people to buy it, I'll even make a sweet profit."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatustandard/4556718a6003.html

Runaway Gun
22nd May 2008, 21:16
Sweet work Tim. I can't believe that this has kicked off a 'my flying job is better than your flying job' mass-debating session....

All the ex-Kiwi FJ guys that I know are having a good belly laugh at your brilliant work. We all know that everyone works hard in their aircraft, and that's all that counts. (Yeah OK bro: beer, chicks, shooting down rolexes, and bad jokes are important too...) :D

kiwiscot2
23rd May 2008, 13:28
For all those wondering if the Huey pilot is in trouble for his video, rest assured he is so popular now that he has just appeared on prime tv in new zealand, and perhaps this will be used as the RNZAF recruitment campaign!

Samuel
23rd May 2008, 23:45
The "rumour" of senior disapproval was just that, possibly started here! The current CAF is himself a former Iroquois pilot and as amused as anyone by Shanks' antics. Good on 'im!:ok:

kiwi chick
25th May 2008, 02:04
The news article about him was played on our Bar TV the other night and the entire population of the bar was riveted! :ok:

He played his song live (well, part of it anyway...) and everyone thought it was great - there might have even been the odd "boo" or two when it was cut short :}