PDA

View Full Version : Lossie jets to Iraq

JessTheDog
19th Mar 2008, 21:51
The news this evening made a big thing about three sqns of GR4s deploying to the Gulf. I know that we all wish them well and a safe return.

My question is this: if the "surge" is working and peace, prosperity and healthcare has been brought to the Iraqi people (according to one G Brown) then why exactly are we still bombing some five years after we started?

WolvoWill
19th Mar 2008, 22:07
Whilst on occasion there is still cause for weapons to be employed fast air over Iraq is used to perform other roles than plain and simple bombing - convoy overwatch, force protection (scaring the bad guys away by the mere threat of having an EPW heading their way) and that popular buzzword 'ISTAR' or all roles the Tornado can usefully be employed at rather than simply bombing. Whilst I expect the latter does go on, they are still able to do other things these days which are still useful and helpful to the British presence in Iraq.

Background Noise
19th Mar 2008, 22:27
Not quite - the other thread is a comment on inaccurate reporting and poor photo selection. This is a comment on the deployment.

Morf
20th Mar 2008, 09:18
Flt Lt Mac - A touch angry aggressive. What would you have us talking about?

L J R
20th Mar 2008, 09:52
The fact that each squadron has been doing this continuously since 1991 is surely newsworthy.

Slotback
21st Mar 2008, 16:07
Just to be pedantic/ accurate Tornados have been in the middle east since 1990. Shortly after the invasion of Kuwait. They have been operational over Iraq since 17 Jan 91. Possibly the longest operational deployment of any aircraft, 17 years 2 months and counting.

Brain Potter
21st Mar 2008, 19:10
It only adds up to 17 years continually if you count the F3 and GR1/4 as one aircraft type - something that contributors to the other thread on this topic are clearly against :)

And still way short of the length of time that the dear old Wessex served on Op Banner - 32 years?

StopStart
21st Mar 2008, 19:59
Oi Potter, I thought you'd left!? We'll have none of you unpatriotic war dodging civvies in here thank you! G'orn - Clear orf!

PS. giz a job.

PPS. Yes jolly good, well done tornado. :bored:

BYALPHAINDIA
21st Mar 2008, 20:16
The news this evening made a big thing about three sqns of GR4s deploying to the Gulf. I know that we all wish them well and a safe return.

My question is this: if the "surge" is working and peace, prosperity and healthcare has been brought to the Iraqi people (according to one G Brown) then why exactly are we still bombing some five years after we started?

BYALPHAINDIA REPLY

To keep the 'Bean counters = the Muppets in our space parliament happy':=:*

insty66
21st Mar 2008, 21:42
It only adds up to 17 years continually if you count the F3 and GR1/4 as one aircraft type - something that contributors to the other thread on this topic are clearly against

Out of interest, when did the GR miss a month or two from the 17 Jan 91 so the F3 could stand in?

Brain Potter
22nd Mar 2008, 10:35
I'm sure that there was a period when Northern Watch was being done by Jags from Incirlik and Southern Watch by F3s from PSAB.

Although, come to think of it, maybe the GRs had a continuous presence at AAS during this time?

SS - you wouldn't like it - wrong kind of sand or 'sumat :}

insty66
22nd Mar 2008, 10:44
I'm sure that there was a period when Northern Watch was being done by Jags from Incirlik and Southern Watch by F3s from PSAB.

Although, come to think of it, maybe the GRs had a continuous presence at AAS during this time?

That's how I remember it! Which is why I asked, the old brain fogs up a bit now and then.

artyhug
22nd Mar 2008, 10:45
The GRs did indeed leave Hells Garage to be replaced by F3s when the Saudis insisted all 'Offensive' Units leave Saudi soil (I mean I know you muddies smell a bit but offensive is taking it too far in my opinion...)

They didn't go very far however and remained on southern watch.

L J R
23rd Mar 2008, 00:02
So the GR-1/4 DID stay in theatre continuously then.

insty66
23rd Mar 2008, 01:11
L J R So the GR-1/4 DID stay in theatre continuously then?

As I recall it yes!