PDA

View Full Version : Tyrolean psichological exam

alexpilot
19th Mar 2008, 19:08
Somebody knows how to prepare the psichological exam???

Thanks!

VFE
19th Mar 2008, 19:47
Brush up on spelling.

Someone was going to say it - might as well be me! :p

VFE.

Emilio's
19th Mar 2008, 20:39
THE ULTIMATE PSYCHOMETRIC TEST BOOK BY MIKE BRYON
I DID MY ASSESSMENT ON LAST AUGUST BUT WAS VERY HARD...
NOW I'LL BE THERE FOR A SECOND CHANCE ON NEXT APRIL...
GOOD LUCK GUYS:ok:

BellyAir
19th Mar 2008, 21:57
Don't waste your time.

Go and enjoy Innsbruck (if you must go) and let the other suckers have their time wasted by the Tyrolean tests.

Tyrolean are rude and a waste of time.

If desperate muppets (and I was one) keep turning up to their daft interviews they will never change.

springbok234
19th Mar 2008, 22:38
Hey,

I read a book called " How to Master Psychometric Tests" by Mark Parkinson. You can get it from Waterstones for £8.99.

It just explains the tests and what to expect and gives some examples to try, with answers in the back of the book.

I passed the the psychological part at Tyrolean with just that preparation, but out of the final 5...only 3 were hired, excluding me unfortunately!

To give you an idea of what to expect, when we started there were 36 candidates. They split us in two groups and some of us did psychologist first and then the theory second. After theory, there was only 32 of us left. After the psychologist, there were 6 left!! and after the sim, just 5 !!! And then as I said, they hired 3 people!

I didn't find they were rude at all, in fact they were very good to us. I will be re-applying for sure. I must just say that you must try get a confirmation email or something from the hotel, because they messed up my booking and I had to share rooms with someone on the second night!

Good luck and try not stress to much!!!:ok:

springbok234
19th Mar 2008, 22:42
oh...

I must warn you that they didn't seem convinced that I, as an English guy would move to Austria and learn German:=, even though I have moved countries 3 times already and learnt a new language in the process!

They told me that the last English guy they hired convinced them he would, but then left after 3 days!!! Seems like whoever he was has taimted their image of the English.:ugh:

So, I don't know if that influenced their decision or whether it was something else I said...lol:\

BellyAir
20th Mar 2008, 09:59
...same kind of number as the group I was in.

After being kept waiting in the reception area for an hour, half did the General Knowledge test and the other half the psychological.

The difference being, without knowing if we had passed or failed, everyone was sent home with no explanation.

Getting there had been a real trial only to be sent home very early the next morning. We got to Vienna very easily but struggled to get a connection to Innsbruck (you are rated as the lowest priority standby passenger).

So all in all they act as if Tyrolean are doing us all a big favour and we should be happy.

I got a letter a week later stating that I should re-apply but I would not work for a company that behaves in such a bizarre and rude way.

dartagnan
20th Mar 2008, 16:10
I passed their "test" and turned their offer down.
at the time they were asking for money.
nobody smile at tyrolean, and people there are NOT fun to work with.
I didnt like the ambiance.

Hanriot_Dupont
20th Mar 2008, 17:05
Well as usual, people complaining are the one who failed.

Nearly all companies don't give you a chance as Ab-initio. Tyrolean does. They pay you the trip to Innsbruck and the hotel for 2 nights. They have tough test, but it is still beter than not being invited or having your resume put in the garbage by a HR assistant who don't care at all about aviation. So you get a chance. And there are people that takes that chance.

For the psycho, how to prepare it? Be used to a computer mouse, rest a lot, and go for it. No one fails. But if you are not taken, it is because another person made it better than you.

So, if you are invited, GO FOR IT and ENJOY IT!!!!

springbok234
20th Mar 2008, 19:44
RE: So, if you are invited, GO FOR IT and ENJOY IT!!!!

yeah...exactly, go there and give it your best!

They smiled just fine to me, in fact I got the most brilliant jumpseat ride out of Innsbruck back to Vienna. I'll certainly be be re-applying!!

have fun....good luck!!!!

assymetricdrift
20th Mar 2008, 23:53
Agree with what Springbok says - even if you are not lucky enough to get through the aptitude testing, then Innsbruck is a beautiful city.

Enjoy yourselves, but do not be too down on yourself if you do get knocked out. Many people do - most of whom would make great pilots for the company.

It is a good experience, and if employment chances do not pick up down this end, I will also be reapplying.

BellyAir
21st Mar 2008, 10:37
Hanriot_Dupont - I have no idea if I failed, no one does from our group.

It was like they made a mistake in inviting anyone to the interview at all.

But instead of putting their hand up and apologising for wasting our time they shipped us out.

They invited me to try again - which to me shows that I must have made some kind of positive impression, but having seen their system it could also well mean the opposite.

Innsbruck is lovely and you can probably squeeze a couple of days out of them so take your skis and don't bother with the interviews.

Hanriot_Dupont
21st Mar 2008, 17:05
Hi Bellyair,

It is just that is is boring seing people complaining about Tyrolean selection. People complain because they do not have interviews, and when they got one, they keep complaining because they fail. About Tyrolean it is amazing. It is the only company inviting Ab-Initio from all over Europe without expenses. They give chance to everybody. The test are fair, maybe not the best, but that's there choice and I don't think that we have something to say about that.

Pass rate is about 5% to 10%. The only difference with other companies is that everybody is invited together. So, you can see the other guys failing. But what in others companies? What about the pass rates? First Ab-Initio are not often invited. You have to know the guy who knows the guy... That's not fair! I'd rather make a stupid computer base test.

So if you could go back, try and go for it. I've talk to people failing 2 times and succeeding at the third.

matt_hooks
22nd Mar 2008, 00:30
Anyway, back to the topic, anyone have any hints on the sort of stuff to gen up on for the general knowledge tests? My maths is pretty strong, is there a lot of performance sort of stuff, as in the ATPL exams?

Are the questions multiple choice or some other form?

Is the second part, at the psychologists office, the normal psychometric testing or is it an actual interview with a psychologist as they seem to suggest?

I'm there mid April if anyone else is, hopefully booking in to the Hotel Penz, friends who have been there reckon it's the best place to be.

Personally I'm really looking forward to it. I know a few people who are with them and they're all very happy, sounds like a good place to work, with some good challenging flying and a good safety culture.

If anyone else is attending w/c 14th April feel free to PM me.

BellyAir
22nd Mar 2008, 10:47
the questions in the gen knowledge are the easiest questions you will find in the atpl exams.

the psychological exams are strange, they want a mix of speed and accuracy.

they interview you after the psychological exam and one of the questions they ask is how did you prepare.

I had done lots of tests off the internet but I have no idea if that was good or bad because right after that we were hearded into cattle trucks and taken to the airport.

take your skis.

the fact that they will pay for your expenses is no excuse for the dreadful treatment we received. none of us were ab initio.

dartagnan
22nd Mar 2008, 11:40
at tyrolean, they don't care about you. you are just a number, and there is no question answered if you don't pass their selections.why waste their time with you?you will not even get a company presentation.

for pilots who have passed the selections around nov-dec 2007, they have been sent to home, because they didn't need any mor pilots.did i say u are just a number?

it 's just a question of chance to be selected, nothing about you or your skills.
you can fail the selections, and be hired the next month by BA or Airfrance...but you won't fly for Tyrolean because for them you failed their selection.

it's still a good company for the 200 hours pilot wo want a step in this career and to realise how hard it is to work as an airline pilot.

the psy tests at innsbruck are not the best for this field (aviation) but has been chosen cuz it is CHEAP for the company(one doctor , 20 mac, and the money of hundred of pilots come in).
If u want see a better set of test, go on skytest.
you can train yourself by buying books and become an expert at these psychotests, lot of quiz come back to these tests.

skytest tests ur instrument scanning, ur multitask,ur 2D vision ...pretty much everything you will get in a cockpit.

again, I knew a company in the past who failed 10 pilots. after personal investigation from one of these pilots, the pilot discovered that the company didn't got the new plane they wanted,so to make it easy for the company, the selection department just failed their pilots with a negative answer letter telling them they have simply failed the psycho tests....:{

to finish, go to these tests, have fun, and try to visit the town...Innsbruck is a lovely town

matt_hooks
22nd Mar 2008, 12:15
Thanks, I've got some software that looks quite useful, from cockpit web. Anyone had a look and know if it's any good for the Tyrolean interview?

I'll take my chances, go over there, do my best on all the tests and just see where it takes me.

tractorpuller
22nd Mar 2008, 12:57
mat_hooks, that's the appropriate attitude going to a selection. Just see where it takes you.

Regarding AF, BA etc. you can fail their tests and be accepted with Tyrolean aswell. It's the same thing with every company doing tests and interviews like these.

And having done several such tests, I didn't find the Tyrolean version much different than any other.

Hanriot_Dupont
24th Mar 2008, 11:01
Dartagnan,

I guess the perfect interview should be hiring you immediatly. I went already to 4 different assesment. The only difference with Tyrolean is that for other companies, you are invited alone. So you do not see the other guys faces. But maybe the pass rate is worser than at Tyrolean.

When you fail a test, you just have to take your car back to your home. Tyrolean ask you to leave by plane because they do not want to pay for an extra hotel night. Well, I guess it is normal. It is a company, not a charity business. That I think you did not get. Purpose is to earn money. There are even company asking you to pay for passing a assesment. About 360€uro. Cool. Go for it!! Or go to Ryanair, be prepared to pay for another 50000€uro to become a second zone F/O.

It is fun to read you. A company invites each month 40 persons (plane and hotel), and still you persists saying that they perform cheap test.. How clever you are!! What do you expect? That all those 40 persons should be tested on a full motion flight simulator costing 600€uro per hour? Not a company does that. First, there is the first selection. It's sometimes theoritical, sometimes psycho, sometime both.. Tyrolean does both, and the pass rate for the psycho is about 15-20%. That's a selection, a competition, and live is only competition. Except for the Line pilot studies. You just need money to be able to perform them.

dartagnan
24th Mar 2008, 11:50
@matt hooks, i think they will select you.u seem pretty good in math...
you will get question on math(very easy),simple mecanique problems like gears,..., orientation exercice, jauges to set, math progression,arrow to count,...nothing really hard, so nothing to stress about.
to score high, go the fastest you can.they want see speed and accuracy.

Firegoofy
25th Mar 2008, 08:43
Hey Dartagman,

where have you this information from??

for pilots who have passed the selections around nov-dec 2007, they have been sent to home, because they didn't need any mor pilots.did i say u are just a number?

I've been there in March and passed all stages and i GET a job with them. You are not still a number there. When you call them they know your name and you !!! Not happen in the most companies.

I guess you're pi... off because you failed in more selections :ugh:This explains your habbit.

Cheers

BellyAir
25th Mar 2008, 10:24
all this justification of how tyrolean treat their interviewees is disturbing.

it's very easy just to say it is sour grapes.

I had 4 interviews, I was turned down for 1, I was offered 2 and then there's tyrolean.

there's only 1 reason I am taking the time to prattle on about tyrolean and that's because i have never been treated anything like so badly as i was treated by them.

I really don't give a hoot about the travel expenses (especially since occupying a seat that would otherwise be empty costs them nothing), if anything that should make them take more care over who they invite and how they treat them.

Tyrolean are rubbish.

There, I said it.

ACE Diamond
25th Mar 2008, 14:10
I've got my selection at the start of April and I asked the compay for there sim profile and A/C type. Reponse back was no i can't have that info.. Why..???
Can anyone offer any help so I can try and prep myself on the sim.

Also are the question anything like the Cathy ones..??

Cheers

ACE Diamond
25th Mar 2008, 14:17
I've got my selection at the start of April and I asked the compay for there sim profile and A/C type. Reponse back was no i can't have that info.. Why..???
Can anyone offer any help so I can try and prep myself on the sim.

Also are the question anything like the Cathy ones..??

Cheers

dartagnan
25th Mar 2008, 21:07
I passed the tyrolean exam(I was the only one in the lot of 25), but turned down their offer when they sent me the bill to pay for their crash8 rating:uhoh:.

Hanriot_Dupont
25th Mar 2008, 22:13
Bad luck, because they even pay you during the type rating now!!!

Firegoofy
26th Mar 2008, 06:56
I think he has never been there, because he said: Tyrolean do neet no more pilots :D absolutly incorrect !!!

Furthermore he said: He get the bill :ok: Tyrolean pay for the T/R

Cheers

BellyAir
26th Mar 2008, 15:45
Firegoofy and Hanriot: do you work for Tyrolean?

A few people discuss their experiences with tyrolean on this open forum and you both start slating them, calling it sour grapes and lies.

Do you really think that is right?

I still keep in touch with 6 of the others from that interview (we all had a lot to talk about on the way home and became good firends) and they all feel the same as I.

If you want to write about your positive experiences go right ahead. But when you start calling people liars et al you are dragging the forum down to gutter level.

Firegoofy
26th Mar 2008, 16:23
We don't call anyone liar, but what we say is true.

All experience what i had with them in the past are more then i had expected.

They tread me during the hole selection as a Pilot and give me answers to all my questions. I had the option to ask them questions every time.

A friend of my flew for them and he only talk positive about tyrolean. The once wich was negative for him, was that they don't fly long haul ;).

Cheers

Please wirte in wich kind did they treat you bad ??? Please don't give the argumetn, that you fly stand by. For the most Airline selection you pay for your journe.y

Hanriot_Dupont
26th Mar 2008, 18:15
Well on my side, I'm not working for them yet. But I've succeed the test and I'm waiting to start my TR.

What I really find stupid is people giving false argument about their selection. It was fair. Everyone has a chance. I took mine. Now they are people who've missed, other who do not accept the job, well, I'm sorry for them. Those people have to understand that failing is not a reason for giving critics. The only thing I see here in this forum, is people crying for getting their first pilot job. Well, I normally will start mine in not a long time.

What I also do not understand is how people dare to critizise the way Tyrolean make their assesment. It is a strong company, more than 1000 persons, so when an ab-initio critizise, I'm wondering who the **** he thinks he is to pretend knowing beter the job of other people.

When I read post here in this forum, I often feel so sorry for the weak judgement people dare to put. Low level... Really...

For the rest, during the assesment, I never had to complain about anything. I get a plane, a nice hotel room with a splendid view on the mountains, I really enjoyed it. I'd prepared myself the best that I could, reviewed a lot the ATPL course, for the Psycho, well, nothing special to do. And for the rest, the simulator is ****** up but it's the same for the ones who get till there. And I really enjoyed the final interview. Once I succeeded, they made me feel just like I was already part of the team. They really respect people. So, until now, I do not have to complain at all. They have respected all their engagement.

For sure, if you think that you are the king of the world when you arrive at Innsbruck, well, you will be disapointed. There are 40 other people like you. Don't expect to be treated like a special persons. You are just someone they invited to see if you could become one of their pilot. Knowing that is important before going. If that make you fill like being just a number, well, get back on earth...

They need pilot, despertly, so my advice to all wanabees: GO FOR IT!!!

Alpine Flyer
26th Mar 2008, 21:44
Whenever I search for PPRuNe threads about the company I've been working for 15+ years I find Dartagnan happily bashing "us".

The payment for the typerating (with a full refund over 5 years including interest) has recently been abolished and replaced with a kind of bond requiring repayment of the T/R when leaving within 5 years.

Tyrolean might not be the best place in the world to work for but it had a solid growth over the last years. As we employ >50% non-Austrians there is a constant turnover of people leaving for closer to home or bigger iron. That has resulted in a more or less constant 5 years to command over the last decade.

If I were 20 and had a job offer from Lufthansa, I'd certainly go there. Without that, I'd certainly give Tyrolean a second look.

Sorry I can't help with the interview/test, things have changed too much since I joined ;-)

Hanriot_Dupont
26th Mar 2008, 22:31
So I guess Dartagne is the frustrated one, trying to discourage everyone... Well, there must be one, always...

ali1
26th Mar 2008, 23:48
Dont know whether anyone wants to hear my 2 penny's worth on phsycological tests but here it goes, please tell me if i'm talking rubbish.

Airlines like to employ people they call 'Stable Extroverts' and obviously try to avoid unstable introverts (somebody who hasn't got the confidence to stop the other pilot flying into the ground) or unstable extroverts (somebody who is going to take control off the other pilot and then fly into a mountain convinced his/her decsion was correct!)

So the airlines design these tests to see which category YOU fall into. The reason I emphasise you is because that is who has got to turn up to these tests and try and be someone your not and give answers you think they want to hear. One reason being, if you do a written exam to questions like:

'Do you prefer guns or the bible?'
or
'What would you rather see, an artist painting or having a fight?'

and try and blag it, when it comes to your phsycological interview, the phsycologist will see you coming like the Titanic down the Thames!

Also, none of us know how the answers we give are interpretted. So we could be giving what we think are 'Stable Extrovert' answers, when actually we're shooting ourselves in the foot.

Basically,be yourself, be honest. That's what I did and it worked for me. They're just trying to know who you are and see if you fit the model. Don't try and pull the wool over their eyes, too many people have tried and lost.

Best Regards,

Good luck,

Ali1

BellyAir
27th Mar 2008, 10:16
Firegoofy - you accuse Dartagnan of not having been to the interview, in effect calling him a liar.

Hanriot - Neither myself, Dartagnan or any of the others I went to the interview with were ab initios.

If a company is in another country and runs an airline then of course it should provide transport. There's no question about how good it is to do so.

As as for your assumption that I turned up there thinking I was king of the world.......get a grip fella, you're talking rubbish.

ali1
27th Mar 2008, 10:24
I wasn't trying to imply that anyone here did anything wrong because I don't know you or what you've done. I simply saw the thread and thought I could try and help people who have'nt gone for these tests yet. Sorry fella....

Firegoofy
27th Mar 2008, 11:06
BelAir do I understand your correct, that you have applied ab initio??

Statement BelAir: If a company is in another country and runs an airline then of course it should provide transport. There's no question about how good it is to do so.

You should be happy to get invited and don't make demands on airlines. :ugh:

I don't now any Airline except of VO they do pay you tickets even the hotel.

cheers

Firegoofy
27th Mar 2008, 13:48
This should test your reaction. I have been there and I can't say anything negative !!

It is your free option to apply with them or not. Furtheremore how did you get the bill for the T/R when you're an ab initio??

Hanriot_Dupont
27th Mar 2008, 14:14
Half of the company still ask you to pay for you TR. Previous year were worse. Some companies even ask you to pay to get an assemsment, or you made a 6000€ MCC and if it's good, it will be your assesment. That's the reallity.

So when you say that it is normal for a company to pay tickets for the assesments, well, you just make laugh. A lot. So,, yes, go back on earth, the golden years of aviation are over...

BellyAir
27th Mar 2008, 16:09
it's clear English isn't your first language and I probably do not speak/write yours well enough either.

There's some misunderstanding here and we are going around in circles.

You had a good experience with tyrolean, good for you.

My experience was dreadful and it has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I would be negligent if I didn't tell others (especially those young and naive candidates who don't know better) of my experience so that they can prepare sufficiently.

But just at a last attempt to clarify; I was not ab initio, I had a couple of hundred hours on a King Air at the time. One of the other candidates had lots of time on the Q400 and he was treated the same (he was a local lad too).

ollaik
31st Mar 2008, 08:07
Can you give me some advises regarding the knowldge test with tyrolean and how you prepare it?
I am preparing it with the Gleim ATPl test guide is that enough?
and what about the JAA airlaw questions ??
Many Thanks

dartagnan
31st Mar 2008, 21:19
yes the ATPL Gleim is perfect. all questions are based on the FAA ATPL.
good luck:ok: