PDA

View Full Version : Video Card Driver.?

tony draper
19th Mar 2008, 13:01
Got a pal with a bit of a problem,he bought a second hand puter which came with all the drivers installed,no backup drivers on CD,he has installed his old hard disk in this new machine with the intention of using it as master and the hard disk that came with the machine as slave.
His problem is booting from the his old hard disk he had graphic card problems, now the drivers for this graphic card must be on the other hard disk,is there a way he can load graphic card drivers over to the new master hard disk from the slave?
The card as far as I can gather is a old Matrox card,I have located suitable drivers on 'tinternet but I cannot dowload em and burn them onto a disk for him because my DVD burner is baggad and at the mo he has no internet access,hence the question.
So where would one seek out the graphic card drivers on a hard disk if one were looking forrem?
Oh yes he is running win98 ME

hellsbrink
19th Mar 2008, 13:20
Has it defaulted to the nasty low-res screen, as in he can see things on the monitor?

If that is so, then there's no reason he cannot download the drivers.

If he gets nothing, then one option is to connect BOTH drives, boot from the original drive in the machine, download the drivers to "his" drive, reboot from "his" drive and then install the drivers that way.

Or, if he spends a low amount of cash, y'all can get a USB drive so you can copy the drivers to the USB drive which he then sticks into his PC so he can get his drive to install from that.

PyroTek
19th Mar 2008, 14:24
Tony, hate to state the obvious, but, USB key?

Parapunter
19th Mar 2008, 14:42
If it's xp, it would usually reside in the system32 folder. Do this: Start>right click My computer, select manage from the menu box, click device manager, locate the card on the device list, double click it, then select drivers, then driver details & all will be revealed.

I would be leery of digging round the windows folders though - you could cause more problems than you solve - the obvious thing to do as mentioned already is to download the driver & transfer it to your mates using a datastick, which are neither expensive nor hard to come by.