PDA

View Full Version : Any truth to the rumor no more JAR age limit?

Flying Guy
19th Mar 2008, 10:50
I keep hearing a rumor that JAR may eliminate the age limit of 65 altogether. I can't find anything about it though on the web or on PPRUNE. Anybody know anything factual about this?

Heliport
19th Mar 2008, 11:55
Age Discrimination (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261681)

Walker Texas Ranger
19th Mar 2008, 12:14
You guys better not change the age limit! Our recent change from age 60 to 65 at the airlines is going to hurt a lot of the younger population. I was at a job interview 2 weeks ago and was the youngest guy there by A LOT! 2 of the 3 other guys were retired from legacy carriers over age 60. In this case I was offered the job, but maybe somewhere else I wouldnt have been?

The ones that have already retired realize that their 2nd or 3rd skank flight attendant wife is a pain in the a$$ and that they didnt plan well enough for retirement. Hence these guys were the driving force for change. They want out of the house and more cash. No age limit... You bet these guys would want in on that too. I can only imagine what the impact would be with no age limit. Dont do it so that we dont have to copy you guys again!

Basil
19th Mar 2008, 12:39
WTR,
I understand your concerns
Whilst the increasing age limit for pilots dampens demand for new starts, this is offset to some extent by an expansion of the industry. Some pilots do not wish to continue after 55 and I know one or two who couldn't wait to get out and took early retirement.
The damping effect will be a one-off event because there's a limit to how much you can increase career length.
Taking other professions as an example; would you expect an accountant, lawyer, doctor or chartered engineer to magnanimously step off the money-go-round before they wanted to?

Basil - retired at 63 - (being dicked about by company which actually thought I flew public transport for fun and not money :* )

Basil
19th Mar 2008, 12:49
Ozy,
No harm in looking at the links referred to by Heliport.

Huck
19th Mar 2008, 13:01
There's an old joke about a group of hardened prisoners sitting around the jailhouse courtyard.

One of them says, "Thirty-seven!" and they all laugh.

A new guard asks what's so funny, and an old guard says, "Well, they've all heard the same jokes so many times, they just number them to save effort."

About that time another con shouts, "Eighteen!" This time there was dead silence.

The old guard sighed and said, "He never could tell a joke...."

Therefore, after participating in years of debate on the age limit here on PPrune, let me say this about the subject:

"Forty-two."

Basil
19th Mar 2008, 14:33
42? Oo-er bit risque that one - the mods will be down on it like a ton of expanded polystyrene :)

Airbubba
19th Mar 2008, 15:37
All the whiners who complained about the age change in the U.S. were going to burn their draft cards and call their congressman but when it came down to it, there was not one vote in opposition in either house of Congress. Not one. Guess there wasn't so much opposition after all.:)

I'm sure the whining will continue for decades.

'Why, we knew the rules when we hired on and we knew the rules would never change...'

BusBoy
19th Mar 2008, 15:43
Huck you read too much Douglas Adams!