PDA

View Full Version : Van Nuys airfield

Fliegenmong
19th Mar 2008, 03:24
Have recently returned from the US, where I made the excellent decision to stop by at the Hollywood Aviators establishment at Van Nuys airport and hire one of their 172's for a lap around Santa Monica Pier, back up Wilshire Blvd, over the Playboy Mansion and back into Van Nuys.

A wonderfully helpful bunch, and to my greatest delight I experienced some common sense I rarely saw elswhere in the US. I sent my son off first for a flight with an instructor, and while he was gone, Mrs Fliegs and I were free to roam about the apron, being waved at, and waving to local police patrols, I was stunned with the freedom, and relieved beyond belief that just because we were a family of aviation enthusiasts we were not also instantly branded as potential terrorists.

A staggering amount of biz jet traffic at Van nuys, and a fantastic feeling around the airport, I was truly stunned and appreciative, and they have a Caravelle parked there, and that is something I'd never seen before either. Any way to all at Van Nuys, thanks so much for such an enjoyable day!!.:D

Oh and I forgot to mention, not more than a few Kilometres away, if that, there was an amazing little model aerodrome, operating with it's own bitumin strip, under the departure end of the active runways at Van Nuys, and it all worked, rather astonishing I thought, but there you go!, A big thumbs up to all at Van Nuys, and the model club,:ok: but you can have that drive back down 405 !!! :yuk: