PDA

View Full Version : Why is this so spooky?

tony draper
18th Mar 2008, 22:21
http://gizmodo.com/368651/new-video-of-bigdog-quadruped-robot-is-so-stunning-its-spooky
Because it bloodywell is:ooh::uhoh:

con-pilot
18th Mar 2008, 22:50
Aw hell Tony, even I could out run that thing. Have to say it doesn't do much better on ice than I do though. :p

Tis spooky looking however. :ooh:

tony draper
18th Mar 2008, 22:57
Yer, SWH would have its arse end off no probs. :rolleyes:

Whirlygig
18th Mar 2008, 23:07
I wouldn't say spooky, more bizarrely endearing in an anthropomorphic sort of way; I even felt sad when the chap kicked it! But, like Bambi on ice, it learnt!

Fascinating!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
18th Mar 2008, 23:08
Looks to me like Paul McCartney and Heather Mills, face to face inside a rucksack, fighting over a divorce settlement. :E

tony draper
18th Mar 2008, 23:29
Actually twer only the beginning bit where it was walking through the forest that was spooky,I hadn't seen it right through before I posted that link,recon it has a hell of a CPU to be able to re-act that fast,
Ironically speaking of Robots just been announced on News Night Arthur C Clarke has died.
:(

notmyC150v2
18th Mar 2008, 23:58
I wonder how long it will be before they work out how to strap explosives to its back and send it into the battle field. That would be the only practical use for it wouldn't it?

tony draper
19th Mar 2008, 00:11
Can't see that happening,tiz a lot easier and cheaper to manufacture people who will undertake the same task for just a promise.
:rolleyes:

marty1468
19th Mar 2008, 01:36
You could make a slightly bigger version and strap a few 7.62mm miniguns on each side and go a wasting the bad guys. Send it off into the mountains of Afghanistan. It doesn't need to be fed, doesn't fatigue, just keeps on relentlessly searching and destroying anyone who appears to be hiding in a cave. Fit it with armoured protection and away we go. A ground based UAV (UGV perhaps?)

That gets my vote :ok:

Okay, i saw Robocop 2 on tv this week hehe:E

Tigs2
19th Mar 2008, 02:06
Not Spooky Mr D

Frightning!!

Ixixly
19th Mar 2008, 04:58
Personally i reckon i can see a lot of valuable uses for this sorta thing apart from strapping explosives to it.

Imagine being able to not just DROP supplies to troops but have those supplies follow them on the back of one of these Big Dogs, 340 pounds worth of equipment could go a long way, hell, i'm sure they could program them to walk straight to where the supplies they are carrying are needed.

Perhaps they could be used for patrols and such as well, though they'd have to be a heck of a lot quieter!!

Hehe, but yes, Robocop does come to mind when watching this...that board room suit shoot up isn't all that far away now chaps!! :p

chksix
19th Mar 2008, 07:47
Add nuclear power and it will be unstoppable and silent. The noise is the small generators buzzing away. It's very quiet when driven by electricity in the lab. :E

heli-cal
19th Mar 2008, 09:12
A weapons system in the making!

Gainesy
19th Mar 2008, 10:14
Bit weird. all those trees an it didn't sniff or pee on any of em.

GPMG
19th Mar 2008, 10:31
I think that it is more exciting than spooky.

Predictions are that by 2030 we will have true AI.

It won't be long till that kind of bigdog moves on to being silent. And I invent a range of stealth assasin Robo Rhodesian Ridgebacks with fricken lazers.

2031....All your base are belong to us.........

scruggs
19th Mar 2008, 10:36
Nice piece of Engineering and ingenuity.

S

Taildragger55
19th Mar 2008, 16:24
Be fun to take it into Crufts and program it to sneak up on one of the pompous gits of judges and hump his leg.

wizo
19th Mar 2008, 16:31
It's a panto dog

Tone
19th Mar 2008, 18:01
What a brilliant bit of kit. I wonder how long it will be before they program it to do something really useful - like taking the dog for a walk?

G-ZUZZ
19th Mar 2008, 18:45
You could make a slightly bigger version and strap a few 7.62mm miniguns on each side and go a wasting the bad guys. Send it off into the mountains of Afghanistan. It doesn't need to be fed, doesn't fatigue, just keeps on relentlessly searching and destroying anyone who appears to be hiding in a cave. Fit it with armoured protection and away we go. A ground based UAV (UGV perhaps?)

That gets my vote :ok:

Just one problem - the freaking thing makes more noise than a bunch of marines stomping through the jungle in S. Vietnam. You'll be able to hear it coming from 10 caves away.

Anyway it doesn't even appear to be real. It's obviously a couple of skinny people front-to-front inside a couple of boxes. Either that or Dr. Mengele has been at it again.

SoundBarrier
19th Mar 2008, 21:54
when the guy shoved it with his foot I was hoping it would stand on it's hind legs and give it a quick ass whipping!

I somehow felt sorry for the poor thing on the ice as well. No idea why.

Clever kit for sure.

helimutt
19th Mar 2008, 23:39
"Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"

I want one for christmas.

Do you think they could make a 'person-like' one? Maybe with looks molded from ones own image. Could send it to work in our place. :ok:

Bluesteel705
19th Mar 2008, 23:50
Nearly as creepy as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IG-88

:sad:

notmyC150v2
20th Mar 2008, 03:12
Load it with guns and missiles and then put the add in the Afghan Courier:

"Wanted to give away to ultra extremist Islamic household, new breed of cute doggy. Answers to Osama. It is trained to attack infidels. Do NOT push the red button". :E

CrimsonEclipse
20th Mar 2008, 04:01
you have 10 seconds to comply

CE

(BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!!)

Blues&twos
20th Mar 2008, 23:13
Lufthansa have ordered one for x-wind landings.

wileydog3
20th Mar 2008, 23:54
They initially started with a robo-cat but the damned thing was so finicky it wouldn't come when you called it and half the time it lay on the floor licking itself.

powerstall
21st Mar 2008, 00:27
..one question thou... what's their main reason for developing this robot?...
i seem to agree with the mail parcel service back in afghanistan and iraq...:E