PDA

View Full Version : Yet another nail in the coffin of self-expression

stickandrudderman
18th Mar 2008, 22:40
It will come as no surprise that there are reportedly moves afoot to further curb enthusiasm for any expression of individualism.....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Classic-Cars/

Can somebody provide me with an emoticon that has an oscillating hand with the 1st finger and thumb formed to make a circle?

Parapunter
18th Mar 2008, 22:48
http://i29.tinypic.com/20uddvo.gif

You mean like this one?

stickandrudderman
18th Mar 2008, 22:51
Yes!

(further characters added to comply with infernal posting rquirements!)

Avitor
18th Mar 2008, 22:59
Signed. Willingly.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
20th Mar 2008, 20:20
Bugger! Two days too late. Is it my imagination or did this one come in low and fast? I don't recall any mention of this in our wonderful Media.

frostbite
20th Mar 2008, 22:06
If they were in any way genuine in their professed concern for the planet they would reward people for keeping older cars running, which would reduce the pollution caused by manufacturing new ones.

e.g. A reduction of 25% off the road tax for any vehicle over 5 years old.

Evening Star
20th Mar 2008, 22:24
This petition is not just a myth being recycled is it:

Euromyths: Vintage cars to be forcibly removed from the road (http://ec.europa.eu/unitedkingdom/press/euromyths/myth12_en.htm)

Must admit have become quite cynical when I hear Europe being blamed for something. Seems too pat to be credible.:hmm:

Pinky the pilot
21st Mar 2008, 08:55
Hope they never try anything like that here in Oz!:uhoh:

My everyday transportation is a 1974 Toyota Celica with a worked DOHC donk that runs best on avgas!:eek: (The third engine the car has had.)

I purchased it new in October 1974 and it has done 520,000 km so far!

Looks a bit sad and the engine needs another rebuild though.:{

lplsprog
21st Mar 2008, 10:13
If this is true they could also try and apply this to aircraft, there would be quite a few airlines put out of business!

Ken Wells
21st Mar 2008, 12:29
So much for sustainability.

Aldous Huxley's novel "BRAVE NEW WORLD" predicted a society that was brain washed into buying new, rather than repairing old.

We now live in that society.

ENDING IS BETTER THAN MENDING.

Consumerisim rules!!!!!

I suppose some gnome in Brussels also would apply this to Classic Bikes!

DBisDogOne
21st Mar 2008, 18:55
A new car uses more energy being made than in 100K of use apparantly. Personally, I've always had older cars and prefer to repair rather than replace. the only jokers who want old cars banned are.... quelle surprise, those with a direct interest in selling us new 'uns. (Bet you didn't see that coming eh?). Also, I run and maintain my older cars (& bikes) to a far higher standard than the "I don't look under the bonnet, there be dragons there" modern tinbox brigade.
Pollution is a side issue too, most pollution is industrial not vehicular but that doesn't fit in well with politicians being paid off by industry I guess.

Bol-X to them, I'm happy with my 113K '90 Golf GTi (immaculate) and 308K (that's miles not K's) '93 Pug 205 diesel. I run both (& two bikes) for less than many folk pay in depreciation on their one car alone, ultimately though, each to their own.