PDA

View Full Version : Are we Breeding Goats ???

Biggles1049
18th Mar 2008, 19:03
Cant hold back any more - perhaps its my age - but why is it that on radio / TV - or anywhere every refers to Children, Youngsters as Kids - When I went to School Kids were baby Goats not Human Beings - what will be next ??

Rant over - still does.nt make me feel any better for it though

Dr Jekyll
18th Mar 2008, 20:53
I suppose it's quicker than saying 'noisy obnoxious brats' all the time.

CottonEyeJoe
18th Mar 2008, 21:48
how about piglets?

Krystal n chips
19th Mar 2008, 03:07
Seems a perfectly reasonable description to me.........they and their parents spend most of their time bleating about the slightest inconvenience after all :E

Goats, on the other hand are very intelligent and sociable animals......

Fliegenmong
19th Mar 2008, 03:27
.................wearing kid gloves :\

Mallan
19th Mar 2008, 08:45
They make very good eating. Goats that is not kids.

When I was a youth in the 50s we had a small holding in Thursley were my parents raised goats for the skins and the meat.

lexxity
19th Mar 2008, 09:52
I quite agree Biggles, I can't stand the word "kid" when used to describe a child. My son is nothing like a kid if he was he wouldn't be such a fussy eater. :}

tony draper
19th Mar 2008, 09:55
Learned summat the other night connected to this subject,a popular term for children a couple of decades ago was Nipper or Nippers,this term started as the slang name for children as young as five employed in the cotton mills of the north to crawl about under the looms recovering bobbins ect,as they were so young the Nippers were only obliged to work 12 hours a day,unlike there older siblings who would be required work from 5 am to 10 pm.
:uhoh:

Forkandles
19th Mar 2008, 10:17
...they were so young the Nippers were only obliged to work 12 hours a day,unlike there older siblings who would be required work from 5 am to 10 pm.
:uhoh:

Aaahh, the good old days, hey Mr. D?
Did you get paid overtime after 10pm, or could you build up a day in lieu? ;)

Gainesy
19th Mar 2008, 10:23
In the old Sussex dialect, Kiddy or Kid means workmate.

arcniz
20th Mar 2008, 00:02
"Kids" probably is a shortening of the Germanic "Kinder", which seems common enough in colloquial use, deriving from middle English as "kind"... as in the famous quote "Those murdering sausage-plugged Krauts aren't our kind".

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Mar 2008, 07:17
Mmmmmgoat...

Gotta love those Goan goat curries. Rich and slightly sweet, yet pungently redolent of the mysteries of the Orient. Reckon one will contact one's goat broker and arrange for lumps of said goats to find their way to one's freezer. Curry for brekkie and lunch all next week, one thinks....

arcniz
20th Mar 2008, 08:59
Good to savour the moment, eh, Twotter. Curcumin is supposed to be good for the aging noggin, as well. You may have the last laugh on all'v us.

aviate1138
20th Mar 2008, 09:28
Mallan said

"They make very good eating. Goats that is not kids.
When I was a youth in the 50s we had a small holding in Thursley were my parents raised goats for the skins and the meat."

Aviate says Hello Sailor! [You won't have heard that before!] :rolleyes:

The "Three Horseshoes" in Thursley has goat on its menu sometimes. The menu changes regularly, whereas "The Withies" in Compton has had the same menu for 20 years!

Crossing the Atlas Mountains and eating chargrilled goat and drinking mint tea - ahhhhhhh!