PDA

View Full Version : Moving software between computers

jimgriff
18th Mar 2008, 17:49
I have a legitimate copy of MS office 2007 on a PC and would like to move it to my laptop. I am happy to move it off the one machine and not just copy it.
I have a 60GB mobile drive (USB) that I can use to halp transfer the programme. I do not have the disks!
Could someone give me the idiots guide to how to do this please?
Thanks in advance

Saab Dastard
18th Mar 2008, 18:28
You can't.

It is impossible to install the application without the installation media.

There is no work-around.

Except to install Open Office - free, gratis, for nothing!

SD

Spitoon
18th Mar 2008, 19:11
If you still have the key that came with the installation media find someone who will lend you some installation discs (it may need to be the same package version) and you'll be able to install it on your lappie.

If you don't have the key, Belarc advisor will be able to extract it for you. See here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=318628) for a link to this rather handy little application.

One final point. Take a look at the licence for your Office installation - many versions allow you to install two copies (desktop and laptop I think are specifically mentioned) provided you don't use both at the same time.

hellsbrink
18th Mar 2008, 22:01
jim

even if you lay your hands on the disks it is likely that the Office Genuine Advantage validation thingie will trip you up.

But migrating the files will not work, you have to physically install the program. Take the Open Office route.

(PS, how did you get Office 07 without disks? I curious, that's all)

parabellum
18th Mar 2008, 23:01
MS Office 2007 is a free download from the MS Download website, think it stays valid for 90 days trial period, not certain though.

hellsbrink
19th Mar 2008, 04:54
Then surely the OP¨would still have the downloaded file, or could just download it again?

Ya see, when someone says "I have a legit copy of Office 2007" that kinda makes one think that he has the full, official release and not a 60 day trial. Some clarity on things would help

IO540
19th Mar 2008, 08:45
One can move applications over but one has to really know what one is doing.

It involves

- moving the application itself (under Program Files)
- copying all applicable registry entries
- copy any config files stored elsewhere (typ. under \windows)
- copying over any DLLs etc stored elsewhere
- editing drive letters / paths etc in registry entries or config files

The way to find out what an app does during installation is to install it while running one of those monitoring programs; I believe Norton do one but the name escapes me. Then you get a complete inventory of what the app install script did, and it could potentially be replicated. It's very revealing what kind of stuff goes on.

jimgriff
19th Mar 2008, 09:29
My wife is a teacher and the programme was given to her from the corporate education licence system.
It is legit and legal.
Most of her work is done on lappie so I guess I'll take it in to her IT dept and ask for them to put a copy on for me.

Thanks for the advice

Jim

Saab Dastard
19th Mar 2008, 10:14
It involves:
- moving the application itself (under Program Files)
- copying all applicable registry entries
- copy any config files stored elsewhere (typ. under \windows)
- copying over any DLLs etc stored elsewhere
- editing drive letters / paths etc in registry entries or config files

I rest my case!!

:D:)

Keef
19th Mar 2008, 10:23
Tried that a few times. Never succeeded. Gave up trying to do it.

Some stuff I have is one .exe file, works, and can be copied around ad lib. It asks for its activation code first time it runs, adds that into the registry, and works.

I suppose the catch is that anyone could make illegal copies and activate them, but then if they're determined enough...

IO540
19th Mar 2008, 17:10
Actually you would be suprised to hear of some well known apps which can be moved this way - just copy over its Program Files directory and next time you start it up, it re-creates all registry entries, ini files, etc.

Not every software writer is stupid, leaving DLLs all over the place.

But most are .......... :ugh:

I have not programmed for Windoze for years, but I know that even today one can just compile into one single .exe and that is all one needs - for any 'conventional' application (not needing special low level drivers etc). Especially today when hard drives are huge and fast. The whole concept of DLLs is totally superfluous and is just a system maintenance nightmare.

I commission software from time to time and always specify a single .exe which uses a single obvious ini file and totally avoids the registry.

Pontius Navigator
19th Mar 2008, 17:47
My wife is a teacher and the programme was given to her from the corporate education licence system.

It is quite likely that she will be eligible for the Software Assurance scheme. As you say, speak to IT however don't expect IT to be entirely knowledgable, do your own research.