PDA

View Full Version : Major Surgery?

MOSTAFA
18th Mar 2008, 17:39
Oh dear, let me start by saying that by carrying out a system restore then the problem goes away for a week or so!!

Toshiba Satellite M55 on start up. Normal XP page then blank for a second (normal) then, usually, back to XP page whilst BIOS winds up. Usually get the normal type messages "Mouse initialised" etc

Trouble is after going blank I now get a message

Error
Resource conflict
PCI Network controller on motherboard
BUS 06, device:02, Function 00

Press F1 to resume F2 to setup

I have never pressed F2 but if I press F1 all start as normal until I get small bow which usually tells me "Wireless network detected" now says "Adapter problem" "Driver not instaled"

I have re-installed the driver but it still says the same. Internet works fine with cable and fine if I insert my Wireless Datalink Cardplus adapter.

Any ideas please

Saab Dastard
18th Mar 2008, 18:52
When did this start? Did it occur after you have added any new hardware - USB attached device, PCMCIA / PCcard adapter? Not sure what else you can add in a laptop!

It appears that the built-in wireless adapter is not functioning, due to a PCI resource conflict in the BIOS. This might be an IRQ & port conflict, even though the PCI bus has its own interrupt mechanism.

The fact that it is a conflict suggests that the device is working, rather than failed. Are you booting with any PCMCIA / PCcard adapters installed? Eject them and re-try.

You should definitely run the F2 BIOS setup routine - don't worry, it's quite hard to do any damage, and you will be asked if you want to abandon all changes or save them before exiting.

If you have never used the BIOS setup, restoring the factory defaults might cure the problem.

Otherwise, experiment (cautiously) with disabling selected devices in the BIOS (if possible), one at a time, to see if you can remove the conflict. Candidates would be the sound, LAN network adapter, serial ports & modem for example, but NOT video!!

In windows, it would be worth checking the system event log for further information on what drivers and devices are not working. Also check the Device Manager in System\Hardware to see what devices are not working (yellow triangle). Might give a clue about what is conflicting with the wifi network adapter.

SD

MOSTAFA
18th Mar 2008, 21:07
Thank you SD.

I have not tried anything you said yet but you have given me a little confidence when the time comes (F2) again - as I am sure it will.

I do not know why but tonight when I switched it on it worked perfectly.

Also delighted it does not initially sound to serious so fingers crossed and I will keep you posted.

Saab Dastard
18th Mar 2008, 23:15
Is there a wifi / bluetooth on/off button on the laptop? Possibly one of the Fn+keys.

It may be that booting with it switched off eliminates the problem, but booting with it on shows up the conflict.

Also, I wonder if the Wireless Datalink Cardplus adapter is causing the conflict?

SD

MOSTAFA
19th Mar 2008, 08:45
I have tried it with the switch on and off also the F2 option. Today it worked fine for 10 minutes then the computer froze not even able to turn it off! After start up a small box simply says "adapter problem driver not installed".

I have the toshiba recovery and applications/drivers dvd satellite disc that came with it and it has the facility to run either full recovery (Not without losing everything) I suspect? or just re-install driver etc but the trouble is there is an awful lot on there and which driver is which albeit 3 of them do refer to wifi

Sorry to be a pain

hellsbrink
19th Mar 2008, 09:11
Have you grabbed the latest drivers from Toshiba website?

Saab Dastard
19th Mar 2008, 10:17
Can you disable the on-board wireless adapter in the BIOS? Then uninstall the device in Windows.

I recall a similar kind of problem with a Toshiba laptop several years ago (OK, 10 :ooh:), where I had to disable the infrared device to get the thing to work reliably (which it then did).

SD

Keef
19th Mar 2008, 10:32
If you look in the Control Panel / System / Hardware / Devices, does that tell you which device is misbehaving, and why?

If so, as SD says, uninstall or disable that device. Or find the correct driver.

At a pinch, ask the manufacturer (I don't think I've ever got sense from a manufacturer in such a case, but there's always a first time).

Oracle
23rd Mar 2008, 02:02
You might try downloading the latest BIOS update for your M55 from tohiba.com support and then reflashing the BIOS. I had similar problems with my M100 and fixed it with the latest updated BIOS download.

Cheers,

O:cool:

MOSTAFA
24th Mar 2008, 09:47
Thank you to everybody. I have tried everything except Oracle's last suggestion which I will look a today. At present I am using another adapter card in the PCMCA (or whatever that slot is called) with the onboard card switched off. Frustrating but workable.

Mos