PDA

View Full Version : Electro Physiology Study

homesick rae
18th Mar 2008, 16:58
Ok,

After 10 years of Irregular Heartbeats as posted previously on here. I had the EP with no Ablation.

They took me off the Beta Blockers and said I was okay BUT I still get the ectopics/irregular beats! What next?? Any ideas?

Gingernut?

Cheers

HR

rsuggitt
18th Mar 2008, 18:02
How often or how many per day do you get the ectopics/irregular beats?

gingernut
18th Mar 2008, 21:14
Sorry hr, havn't the expertise mate.

Flyin' dutch is pretty good on this sort of thing:)

(what's an EP)

homesick rae
19th Mar 2008, 10:34
Sometimes 2-3 times, sometimes more, sometimes less. Doesn't seem to matter what I am doing at the time.

Gingernut, no probs.

Cheers

HR

rsuggitt
19th Mar 2008, 10:45
Is that 2-3 times a week, 2-3 times a day, or 2-3 times a minute?

tmes
19th Mar 2008, 10:49
Hey HR,

I live in Belgium and performed my Class 1 medical tests as well. After additional tests (holter and effort test) I got a letter that I will need to perform a EP-test. Could you give me a little more info on the test:

- is it one shot or do you need to do it periodically cfr. the class 1 test every 5 years?
- are there any risks involved in performing an EP?

Best regards,
Tom

homesick rae
19th Mar 2008, 11:38
Tom,

The only pain is when they inject you in the groin before insering the tubes.

Took about two hours and they will pace your heart to try and trigger your irregular beats. It is quite uncomfortable but, let's face it, you are in the safest place.

They will probably give you a drug called something like Andezyme? This will make you feel dreadful and is quite weird but only lasts seconds. I believe it is to check for heartblock.

IF they find anything they will perform and ablation which zaps the tissue and that is a permanent fix.

They couldn't find any cause for mine so I was let back to the ward.

You then lie flat for 2 hours then I was given some food and home a couple of hours after that.

Risks: less than 1% of getting a stroke and the same for ending up with a pacemaker.

It is more anticipation and expecting severe pain, which never comes, that is worrying.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

HR

PS: Had a good suggestion to stop all de caff too to see if that helps!

rsuggit: 2-3 times a day on average

rsuggitt
19th Mar 2008, 15:39
"rsuggit: 2-3 times a day on average"

Having had an ablation procedure for Atrial Fibrillation, I'd say that 2-3 times is pretty trivial. I recall reading here posts from pilots who are getting thousands a day.
I believe that many people have a few ectopics without noticing; maybe you're just more sensitive and notice them more than the average person in the street.

If your GP and cardiologist are both happy and have taken you off medication, I'd assume that they feel there is no significant abnormality in your heart.

However, I'd recommend that you discuss this with the cardiologist or GP.

tmes
19th Mar 2008, 15:46
Thanks for the answers HR!

I must admit that the idea of someone going to have a look into my heart remains quite frightening. I guess the best thing I can do right now is query a few GP's and cardiologists on the subject.

Best regards,
Tom

homesick rae
19th Mar 2008, 16:40
Tom,

You are welcome.

Rsuggit,

I agree with you that I may be more sensitive...cardiologist said the structure of the heart was normal. Echo was normal.

Can any allerigies cause such reactions? I am not allergic to anything that I know of.

Cheers

HR

rsuggitt
20th Mar 2008, 14:18
At that low rate of occurence (2-3 times a day), I dont think it would be easy to pin the cause down to enaything specific. Indeed, your cardiologist hasnt found the cause.