PDA

View Full Version : Bl**dy met-office!!

BoeingMEL
18th Mar 2008, 13:52
OK, fair enough, I relied on them for the thick-end of 35 years and in all that time reckoned they did a pretty decent job. Fast-forward now to 2 weeks ago: TAF says 180/60 tempo 80 becoming 270/40 tempo 60.

So (with legs rendered stiff as boards through MS) I lift a dozen 6'x6' fence-panles from their concrete godfather posts and store them carefully.

Waited 10 days for the forecast tempest.......and the worst turned out to be c. 215/30. Bu**er! Anyone know a no win-no fee lawyer? Cheers bm :ugh:

bnt
18th Mar 2008, 14:44
Next time, have a word with IBM about the local forecasting (http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/22159.wss) computers and services they offer, for big events such as the Olympics. Met Office forecasts are clearly not sufficiently-localised for you... :8

ShyTorque
18th Mar 2008, 16:38
At least they play safe these days so you can fetch 'em back intact from your own garden and not matchwood from someone else's....

("And no, :rolleyes: there is definitely NOT a hurricane on its way.... :eek: OoopS!")

DX Wombat
18th Mar 2008, 17:45
BM, I don't know which part of Herefordshire you are in, but if you waited ten days and nothing happened you can't have been anywhere near Shobdon. I arrived there with the tin tent, on the evening of 9th March with similarly interesting winds forecast. The forecast winds definitely arrived but not from 270 as forecast, rather from 165/180. I had positioned the caravan and car very carefully into wind (as forecast). The change in direction meant that I had a rather lively and very interesting night as the wind hit the caravan broadside on with only minimal relief being afforded by the hangar. :eek: :eek: Monday night was rather better as the wind was from the prevailing (and forecast) direction. Tuesday was more interesting as the winds were similar to Sunday but from 270 approx, however they were accompanied by torrential downpours at intervals just long enough to allow me to get back to sleep for five minutes before being woken up again. :* On Wednesday afternoon they abated gradually allowing me to pack up, return the tin tent to its secure storage and wend my way home.
PKPF, Ach, MEL, you are having a laugh!
60 gusting 80 in deepest Hertfordshire?
No, BM is talking about HEREFORDSHIRE - the beautiful county with the best airfield in the country. :ok: :)

DX Wombat
18th Mar 2008, 18:18
I do beg your pardon, guys.Why apologise to just the guys? :{ :{ :{
PKPF, you really should visit the area, I'm sure you would thoroughly enjoy yourself. Not to mention enjoying the Herefordshire cider. ;)

ShyTorque
18th Mar 2008, 18:58
That refers to a reply he gave to an enquiry about a hurricane approaching USA where the caller's daughter lived.
"not many people know that"
The media prefer not to mention that as it would slightly spoil a great story.

Really? I was watching the TV weather forecast given by M. Fish that night and that certainly wasn't the impression I gained; AFAIK he definitely meant the southern UK, no reference was made to the USA. We were only too aware of his error a few hours later as ancient trees and electricity poles all around our area came down by the thousand, completely changing the local landscape.

It's here: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqs1YXfdtGE

Dan D'air
18th Mar 2008, 19:19
ShyT,

I was watching the TV weather forecast given by M. Fish

You need professional help, clearly this fish pun penchant of yours has gone too far.

Beatriz Fontana
18th Mar 2008, 21:40
Well, it was the 'little bloke' who spotted the hurricane on the way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNAYrVS7-g&feature=related
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNAYrVS7-g&feature=related)

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 00:43
You need professional help, clearly this fish pun penchant of yours has gone too far.

It'll cost me sick squid for a prescription if I see a doctor. :eek:

Whirlygig
21st Mar 2008, 00:57
Six squid? Blood-sucking lampreys :)

Cheers

Whirls

DX Wombat
21st Mar 2008, 13:15
BMel, you may like to know that a week or two earlier the CFI flew to Hereford and back in a C152. When asked on his return what the winds were like his reply was priceless: "It took me eighteen minutes to get to Hereford and NINE to get back." Certainly conveyed the necessary information. :) ;) I'll be back down there later next week, please see if you can arrange some decent flying weather for me.

Dan D'air
21st Mar 2008, 13:30
It'll cost me sick squid for a prescription if I see a doctor.

Funny that, have just done all of last nights washing up and used mild green hairy-lipped squid.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2008, 14:12
Thankfully most of my washing up gets done by a lairy-hipped squid.