PDA

View Full Version : Good school to do CFI course in US?

apruneuk
26th Feb 2002, 14:06
I am looking for a flight school in the US to do my CFI. I am a FAA CPL holder but live in England so it's a bit tricky to "pop in for a chat".. .Can anyone recommend a professional outfit - I am more interested in quality than cost. Any info. greatly appreciated.

spinproof
27th Feb 2002, 17:35
Try Eagle Avation in Sarasota, Florida. I recommend Youiry Jan.They have newer low time 172's.<a href="http://www.eagleaviationacadamy.com" target="_blank">Eagle Aviation Academy</a>

weasil
5th Mar 2002, 06:35
To save yourself time and money I would suggest buying the Gleim books and taking the written tests before going to a school. You have to take the Fundamentals of Instruction test (FOI) and the CFI-A test. Also there is a written test for CFI-Instrument if you want your II.. .. .My students have had success with ATP . .. .THey have schools all over the country and very intensive, short programs. One of my students after finishing his Commercial Multi-Engine rating went to ATP in Las Vegas and in 3 weeks had finished all 3 instructor ratings and two weeks later was working in San Carlos. . .. .Good Luck.

jmore
9th Mar 2002, 08:33
at the moment unless you have the right to teach in an american school then dont bother with cfi until the jar boys have removed their heads from their passages! for any of us that are intending on teaching jar syllabus with a british school on american soil and with american cfi ratings we cant do it-or rather we can but the jar has decieded we cant ,not unless you have 500tt 200 as instructor and pass a course in the uk consisting of 30 hours ground and 15 dual flight time with an instructor examiner -even then you can only teach jar in america not back in the uk when you get home -warped eh! i thought so

apruneuk
11th Mar 2002, 03:21
jmore. .If what you say is true I can only say that I am utterly gobsmacked at the arrogance of the JAA powers-that-be. Not only do they want to protect jobs in Europe by refusing to recognize other ICAO states' commercial licences but they are trying to do the same in America. More fool the FAA for allowing this to happen. Call me old-fashioned but it quite clearly states in my copy of FAR/AIM that you need a FAA CPL to work as a pilot for pay in the US. There is the facility for a special authorization for foreign CPL holders to be granted the right to work, but this is aimed at long-haul airline pilots based temporarily in the US.. .JAR-rated pilots can swap their licence for a PPL and take a BFR but can only fly privately. If what you are saying is true, how are JAA instructors working in the States getting away with it? If it's not totally above board it would have serious insurance implications in the event of an accident.

inverted flatspin
11th Mar 2002, 08:19
It is true that JAA trained pilots can get a US private certificate based on their existing licence but after this a serious difference between the two systems develops the FAA will let you sit the writtens and take the checkrides for any higher ratings (instrument and commercial, ATP etc)with just a sign off from your instructor and of course log book evidence of the training you recieved for your licence in the first place, no further training is mandated, this is just between you and your CFI. The JAA treat people going the other way in a very different and arbritrary way. They allow you to sit the writtens and take the CPL checkride just like the americans do but insist that you complete a full course for your instrument rating. Why? there can be no safety reason for this. . .. .If the americans are not up to the much vaunted JAA standard then why are United and American and Continental and Fed Ex and all the others allowed to operate in and out of Europe? What about all the European pilots now flying for airlines all over Europe that got their instrument ratings in FAA land and converted them to their national licences before the JAA came to pass,and subsequently converted these licences to JAA licences. If there is something wrong with the training these people recieved that can only be rectified by having them sit a full course, surely they should be forced to sit a full course before they are allowed to continue their flying careers.. .. .Who allowed the JAA to happen? Nobody I know of Voted for it, nobody wanted it and most of all it wasn't needed.. .. .One of the JAA's stated aims is harmonisation with the FAA, Why are they going in the other direction? . .. .Anybody got any ideas?

apruneuk
11th Mar 2002, 12:42
Having studied and flown under both the JAA and FAA systems I can honestly say that there is very little difference in the practical standards required by the two bodies. The real difference is in the theoretical knowledge requirements. You are correct that you can convert your FAA licence by taking the JAA writtens and practicals but did you know that you must attend 650 hours of groundschool before taking the 14-odd written exams! Oh,if you are a multi-thousand hour foreign ATP holder you only have to take the exams. Of course, it's all in the interests of safety and as we all know, bookwork is much more useful than practical experience - you should find that comforing next time you are flying in Europe with a 200 hour bookworm in the right hand seat of your Airbus!. .However, this still doesn't answer my question - how are JAA flight instructors training in the States without converting their licences?

jmore
27th Mar 2002, 09:41
aprune -i have no idea how the jaa guys are teaching in the states i personally teach jaa syllabus on my faa instructors credentials,i believe there are some jaa guys teaching in the states and with or without work permit they will come a cropper if they ever have an incident and are discovered.