PDA

View Full Version : Glass cockpit

black gun
18th Mar 2008, 10:30
Hi all, I am new to this forum...been flying turbo-props for the last ten years and out of the blue an old co-pilot of mine (long ago now a Captain on bizjets) rang up asking if I want to fly bizjets, all he wanted to know was will I have trouble with the glass cockpit, answered honestly ...I do not know as I have never flown one. Can any one tell me what it is like, will be much apperciated. Thanks guys.

kitekruncher
18th Mar 2008, 10:38
Were you in the habit of throwing stones at him when he was an F/O then??

helldog
18th Mar 2008, 11:29
When I made the switch, it took all of about three minutes to get used to it. Dont worry about it its a piece of cake. At least dont let the worry be the only thing that stops you taking the job. Cheers

greenslopes
18th Mar 2008, 11:41
Oh goodness, sounds like your old F/O may be trying to make it sound harder than it is.
As previous post alluded..piece of cake. I went from twin otter to Bac 1-11 to F-100 which had everything which blowed and glowed(Dark cockpit,glass screens etc,etc).
Great definition,no ambiguity,reliable.
Go for it you won't regret it

black gun
18th Mar 2008, 11:42
Thanks Helldog much apperciated.

black gun
18th Mar 2008, 11:44
Thank you Greenslopes

FL470
18th Mar 2008, 14:00
Go for it! It's just a matter of finding the information, but basically the information is at the same place - just in another format. I honestly don't know what the big fuzz about glass cockpit is - it's easier than anything else!

Cheers

nzav8tor
18th Mar 2008, 20:01
The challenge isn't going from analogue to glass cockpit its going from glass to analogue...

suhoi27
18th Mar 2008, 21:17
In my company everything is glass-c172SP,DA42,C525's........pretty easy to work with and best situational awareness (sometimes a bit too much)...go for it!

Orp Tolip
19th Mar 2008, 18:36
NZ has hit the nail on the head.

Steam to glass is NOT a problem, really don't kow what all the fuss is about when people advertise for 'glass' experience......... :confused:

usedtofly
22nd Mar 2008, 10:33
Hi Black Gun,

It's not so much the 'Glass' as the interface with the FMS. Most people that are new to an 'All Glass Cockpit' take a while to become familiar/comfortable with the high degree of automation involved.

Once used to the kit tho, it is true to say that the bigger problem is going back to 'steam driven' cockpits!

The reduced work load and increased spatial awareness with fully integrated FMS and glass cockpits is quite fantastic.

Enjoy!

UTF

LRdriver II
22nd Mar 2008, 10:43
Its easy to go into information-overload as the glass cockpit will give you so much. So being able to take what you need at any given time is the key, but like everybody else says, it doenst take a more than a sim session or two to become familiar.
Also its the FMS integration and getting to know the FMS that takes a little time as the airplane is only as smart as the idiot behind the finger that punched the stuff in.. :E

black gun
23rd Mar 2008, 09:52
Thank you all for your input it is much apperciated, I guess I will be frequenting this forum more often from now on.

BG

wallypilot
13th Apr 2008, 19:01
"Also its the FMS integration and getting to know the FMS that takes a little time as the airplane is only as smart as the idiot behind the finger that punched the stuff in.. "

This is the issue in a nutshell. Just flying the thing only takes a few minutes to get used to with the glass. Getting the aircraft to predictably do what you want by punching a keypad.....this is what takes the time to get used to.

dr boeing
14th Apr 2008, 20:47
Hi. yes the Glass enviroment is a little different. scans can be strange and to get all the info can be strange at first.
I visited a new place the other day at Cranfield Uni. crm europe. they got a new trainer and it looked pretty good. www.crmeurope.com (http://www.crmeurope.com) worth a look.:ok:

deice
15th Apr 2008, 21:17
Get yourself a copy of FSX, "fly" one of the jets or Garmin 1000 spam cans for an hour and you're set. Cheapest conversion course there is! :D

PS, my first flight in a Garmin1000 equipped SE had me slightly puzzled, but by the second flight I was at home. No probs working either panel these days.