PDA

View Full Version : Salaries after training and beyond.

ElSupremo
17th Mar 2008, 22:50
Ok, don't slate me for asking this (no I'm not only motivated by the money before anyone asks!) but how much can one expect to earn in a first job after training (i.e. obtaining the fATPL)?

How about after that? How long does it take to become captain and how much can an average pilot expect to earn?

Obviously, this will vary from pilot to pilot and so all I'm asking for is a rough guide.

Thanks,

ElSupremo.

preduk
17th Mar 2008, 22:59
Really deppends to be honest...

I seen a post saying Ryanair Pilots on Brookfield contracts get 17K for their first year. I believe CTC cadets are on 24k for the first couple of years. Flybe FTE pilots were on about 22k if I remember correctly.

It varies from airline to airline, really deppends how you trained, if you have a bond etc

Mercenary Pilot
17th Mar 2008, 23:22
I certainly won't slate you for being sensible enough to ask about by expected income. Pilot salaries are generally quite low considering the time, money and effort spent in training but does go up considerably after you have been doing it for a few years.

If you manage to find an airline job, the average F/O salaries are around £18-24k mark, time to command all depends on the airline and your suitability.

It's unlikely in the present climate that you would stay with your first employer unless the roster/base/lifestyle really suited you (or you managed to get into the likes of BA/EZY/BMI straight away).

Most bottom feeders are quite happy to pay you peanuts and let you use them as a stepping stone.

This website http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/ will give you some ideas of general airline pay.

redsnail
17th Mar 2008, 23:25
How much you earn depends on the job you get after training.
Instructing, single pilot ops, turboprop, jet... all different pay scales. There's some anomalies out there such as FRA. Night freight on a Shorts 360 you'll earn maybe 18K GBP. Dash8 FO's, 20K GBP. B737 27K GBP. (For FO slots)

Time to command? It depends on what is specified within the Ops manual. You're a captain on single pilot ops at 700 hours. Then again, for 2 crew ops, you need the minimum of 1500 hours. For our company, you need 3,000 hours (factored). The general broad rule is ~2000 hours for a turboprop and ~3000 hours for a jet command.

How long does that take? It depends on how many hours you acquire per year.
Some jobs, barely 2-300 hours, others 8-900 hours per year.

Best spend some time looking at ppjn.

99jolegg
18th Mar 2008, 08:14
The average wage for pilots across the board is around £63,000.

Source: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=429176&in_page_id=2

asuweb
18th Mar 2008, 10:06
I rather suspect there was some artistic licence in the reaserch of that information. That might be an average captain's salary, but certainly not reflective of low time fo's, or even most sfo's.

99jolegg
18th Mar 2008, 10:20
I rather suspect there was some artistic licence in the reaserch of that information. That might be an average captain's salary, but certainly not reflective of low time fo's, or even most sfo's.

That's probably because it is an average, so no it won't reflect the earnings of a new FO. If you take into account the long standing long haul Captains, on well over £100,000, I'm sure that bumps things up a bit.

potkettleblack
18th Mar 2008, 11:41
If your working for a decent outfit on a jet then I wouldn't have thought it shouldn't take you to many years as an F/O to get that sort of money. Not sure if it is just talking about wages per se or the full package. When you throw in pension contributions, sector pay, staff travel, carparking etc then the package isn't to bad. Nothing like it used to be though. The days of serious 6 figure salaries as a skipper on a 747 and working 200-300 hours a year are long gone unfortunately.

Joffyh
18th Mar 2008, 11:57
I was recently at an FTO and told if you're lucky enough to get in with someone like BA/BMI then you can expect around the £35k mark as a starting salary...hope there's some truth in that!

ReallyAnnoyed
18th Mar 2008, 14:27
Just to further explain the CTC cadet salary: The starting salary is 26,158 plus about 7,000 pounds p.a. in sector pay. However, another 1,000 taxfree is added each month and if you add 12,000 and 26,158 you magically get the 38,158 pounds which is DEP salary. The 1,000 pounds per month is to pay off the loan you took out for basic training. I do believe that the first six months are paid by the 1,000 ONLY and no salary! One of the cadets can probably either confirm or deny this.

So, it is a matter of semantics. Either you see the salary as 26,158 pounds and free pilot training, or you see it as a salary of 38,158 with training paid for by yourself.

Trevor Macken
7th Apr 2008, 14:55
I would be extremely worried if a Captain be it SH or LH is only earning
60-70 k p.a. after 25 years service. Please add at least another 80-100k to that figure please.

T.M. :{

Ghostie31
7th Apr 2008, 14:58
I believe PPJN states BA Cap LH as around £120K.

If that is still up-to-date info is anyones guess

99jolegg
7th Apr 2008, 15:05
I agree, a Captain of 25-30yrs service to commercial aviation will very likely be on over £100,000.

Long term Captains on short haul A320s have seen up to £90,000.

Mungo Man
7th Apr 2008, 16:49
Just wondering, what is the potential after being with a company (BA etc) for say 25-30 years for you to be earning?

In that time, depending on your seniority, I'd imagine you'd have probably gone onto long haul in which case, bearing a bit of artistic license, you'd see 60-70k quite easily I'd have thought.

Ha ha!! That made me laugh! All the info is out there to be found if you look hard enough.

In BA First Officers start on about £50k and can earn up to £96k after many years seniority. Skippers are on loads more.

In my company new FOs start on a smidge under £35K after line training but you need 500 hrs to join.